• Silver Spoons: 25 Years of Chefs & Celebrations

June 15, 2010

Last night, I had the pleasure of attending the Citymeals-on-Wheels’ 25th Anniversary event, “Silver Spoons: 25 Years of Chefs & Celebrations” to honor James Beard in Rockefeller Center. More than 40 great chefs came out to prepare some of their most beloved signature dishes at the event to benefit Citymeals-on-Wheels.

_MG_2184.JPG

I don’t even know how to begin describing just how special this event was last night. It was wonderful to see so many chefs come together for such a great cause. Citymeals-on-Wheels is a non-profit organization, co-founded by Beard and food critic Gael Greene, which “raises private funds to ensure no homebound elderly New Yorker will ever go a day without food or human company.”

_MG_2240.JPG

The event was really swanky! I’m not going to lie, I felt pretty lucky being invited.

_MG_2238.JPG

_MG_2243.JPG

Live music and dancing added to the festive and upbeat mood of the night.

_MG_2264.JPG

_MG_2283.JPG

_MG_2127.JPG

Look who I bumped into at the event: Sabrina!!! I was so excited to have a buddy to enjoy the night with.

_MG_2262.JPG

Sabrina and I were in foodie heaven! Everything that I tried was absolutely amazing. I definitely left with a very full belly.

_MG_2111.JPG

Joe Ng, Chinatown Brasserie (New York)

Sirloin Tart with Curry Coconut Sauce

_MG_2117.JPG

Steamed Watercress & Shrimp Dumpling with Kaffir Lime Leaf & XO Sauce

_MG_2122.JPG

Richard Leach, The Hurricane Club (New York)

Lime in the Coconut Number 17 shot

_MG_2125.JPG

I had 3 of these Lime in the Coconut shots over the course of the evening. They were light, refreshing, and fun!

_MG_2132.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG

Melissa Kelly, Primo (Rockland, ME/Orlando/Tucson)

Pork Belly, Pickled Vegetable

_MG_2160.JPG

I had no idea that I liked pork belly! Delicious!

_MG_2163.JPG IMG_2317.JPG

Daniel Boulud & Jean François Bruel, DANIEL (New York)

Chilled Watercress Soup with Lobster Gelée & Porcini

_MG_2205.JPG

Jonathan Benno, Patina Group Restaurant at Lincoln Center (New York)

Crostini con Fegatini di Pollo (Chicken Liver Pâté with Arugula and Fennel-Raisin Semolina Bread)

_MG_2188.JPG

I also had no idea that I liked chicken liver pâté. Who would have guessed? Also, excellent.

_MG_2189.JPG

_MG_2193.JPG

_MG_2194.JPG

Franck Deletrain, Café Centro (New York)

Smoked Halibut, Sea beans, Tomato Confit, Cracklings

_MG_2225.JPG

_MG_2227.JPG

Jimmy Schmidt, Rattlesnake/Morgan’s in the Desert (Detroit, MI/La Quinta, CA)

Maryland Jumbo Lump Crab Cake with Roasted Fennel & Shaved Fennel Salad, Many Mustard Sauce

_MG_2280.JPG

This was probably the best crab cake I have ever eaten. It was so flavorful and fresh.

_MG_2172.JPG

I’m not sure what was in these fruity gin drinks, but they were perfect for a hot night in New York City– refreshing and sophisticated.

_MG_2175.JPG

After making the rounds and tasting a little bit of everything, Sabrina and I took a load off in the VIP lounge, where we enjoyed a glass of champagne and some good conversation.

_MG_2290.JPG

_MG_2293.JPG

Then, it was time for the final push: dessert! But, first, we sampled a few brews from Southampton Publick House. I enjoyed them all, but I know my husband would be a really big fan of these beers!

IMG_2315.JPG

François Payard, François Chocolate Bar (New York)

Roasted Strawberry Tiramisu with Candied Fennel

_MG_2148.JPG

_MG_2149.JPG

_MG_2153.JPG

Jacques Torres, Jacques Torres Chocolates (New York)

Assorted Chocolates and Cookies

_MG_2266.JPG

Silvana Vivoli, Vivoli Il Gelato (Florence, Italy)

Assorted Gelati & Sorbetti

_MG_2267.JPG

Claudia Fleming & Gerry Hayden, The North Fork Table & Inn (Southhold, NY)

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Nature’s Pride Honey-Oatmeal Crumb & Goat Cheese Cream

_MG_2171.JPG

I loved the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp! I still can’t believe it was made with Nature’s Pride bread!

Wolfgang Puck

Flourless Chocolate Cake Cookies

_MG_2272.JPG

Oh my gosh, these were a little taste of heaven– they practically melted in my mouth! I must have eaten at least 5 of them. They were easily my favorite of the entire evening.

_MG_2275.JPG

Among the chefs who displayed their culinary magic last night:

Nobu Matsuhisa

_MG_2215.JPG

Wolfgang Puck

_MG_2186.JPG

Jimmy Schmidt

_MG_2279.JPG

Todd English

IMG_2286.JPG

Todd English was really friendly in person. He was definitely flirtatious with his female fans– Sabrina and me included!

_MG_2296.JPG

A complete list of the chefs at the event can be found here.

_MG_2300.JPG

Many thanks to Margherita of Citymeals-on-Wheels for the invitation! I really enjoyed the event. Plus, it was a GREAT reason to visit New York City!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) June 15, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Fabulous!!!! Worth the trip huh? :)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing June 15, 2010 at 3:42 pm

What an amazing celebration!! I would have tried AT least one of everything :)

Amber K June 15, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Fun! I’d be all over those desserts. Mostly because I wouldn’t have eaten about 90% of those appetizers. But also because I just love dessert!

Laura Jane June 15, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Looks like fun. All those pictures of that food is making me hungry – especially the desserts!

Helen June 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Wow what a great event! I love the fact that all the food portions were small so you could sample them all without getting too full. Everything looks really delicious, especially the dessert! I would so love to be invited to an event like that. Also your top looks fab!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 15, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Oh my gosh, fabulous!! I bet seeing those famous chefs in real life was a treat. Heck, the whole night was a treat!

Julie @ Pickley Pear June 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Wow super cool event! I bet the food was amazing!

Christy June 15, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Wow, what beautiful displays and food!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries June 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm

This is so awesome! Thank you for sharing with us. I am so happy you got to attend such a lovely event for a great cause!

Cassie June 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Wow the food and dessert look to die for! Jealous!!

Kath June 15, 2010 at 5:37 pm

New phrase: “So swankin’ cool”

Katherine June 15, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Wow! All this food looks amazing, especially the cocktails.

Krista (kristastes) June 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Looks like lots of fun and tasty food! I love your shirt – I have two like that with the thin frilly fabric from the gap and I get complements on them all the time :)

Naomi June 15, 2010 at 5:52 pm

hahaha thats too funny about todd english! my mom has met him a few times because she provides the coffee for olives and some of the tood english restaurants, she said he was nice in a swanky, suave way :)

all of the food looks amazing and those lime shots look so fun!!

Margherita June 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Tina–you did a fantastic job capturing the event! Your pictures are wonderful and I am glad you made the trip down. I also feel the same way as you about the pork belly–it looked amazing and tasted even better….

Lisa @ Early Morning Run June 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Looks AMAZING! What a great event! I just finished reading “The United States of Arugula” and read about many of the chefs you mentioned. Glad you had such a great time!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Oh my – Tina what an amazing experience! It all looks so wonderfuL!
    By the way – how do you remember all the finer details of the dishes you tried? Do you take notes? I would be horrible at just going off my memory ;)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Sounds like such an amazing night, glad you were able to go. And the food, amazing!!!!

Emilyeatsclean June 15, 2010 at 7:29 pm

WOW…..that is amazing!!! What an awesome experience and opportunity you got to partake in! :)

maxinthegym June 15, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Oh my goodness! All that food! Everything looks wonderful! I’m glad you enjoyed yourself :D

Simply Life June 15, 2010 at 7:49 pm

wow, what a fun event!

Hannah June 15, 2010 at 9:04 pm

OMIGOD!!! I just went to Il Vivoli in Florence in April, and had the most DIVINE meringue gelato!! (I blogged it, too :P) I’m completely hyperventilating over here, when I was already excited about the sea beans, candied fennel, goat cheese cream you got to eat. What an aamzing night, thank you for sharing. Il vivoli, florence, hurrah!!

Andrea June 15, 2010 at 9:14 pm

WOW! Can I just say how AMAZING your arms look in that picture where you are taking a drink. What is your secret??? Those are the arms I dream about! I have always gain weight in my arms and I hate it!

*Andrea* June 15, 2010 at 9:46 pm

love all the pics! you look so beautiful!!! sabrina too – your arms look fab and your smile shows through how happy you are :) i wish i could live life more like you!

Tina June 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm

@Annie: Yep! The key is to lift heavy weights!

Tina June 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm

@Andrea: Body Pump 2-3 times a week.

ida June 15, 2010 at 11:49 pm

looks like a stellar event! so cool that you saw all those celeb chefs. And i agree with the other commenters- your arms look awesome!

Wei-Wei June 15, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Man, I am jealous. Wolfgang Puck!! O_O I’ve seen him on Iron Chef… it’s so cool that you saw him in person! I would definitely love to try everything in this post. Gah I’m dying from jealousy! X(

Wei-Wei

erica June 16, 2010 at 2:53 am

What a fun blog. Those pictures are so amazing, it’s like I could taste everything just by looking at them! The only thing I love more than fashion is food!

Quinn June 16, 2010 at 6:56 am

What an awesome event! Super jealous of all those fabulous eats!

Marissa June 16, 2010 at 10:13 am

Wow, what a bunch of fancy food! That strawberry rhubarb crisp looks delicious, but meeting Wolfgang Puck would have been the highlight of the night for me!

Still Life in Southeast Asia June 16, 2010 at 10:34 am

Thank you for sharing this event with us. I am so happy that you got to attend, and I also feel like you’ve given us the privilege of attending.

Patrick June 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm

What a great coverage! Appetite For Good was there too :) I wish we were able to meet up! Maybe next time :)

Beautiful pictures you have tho!

Jerome July 2, 2010 at 2:51 am

That’s so awesome that great chefs come together for a wonderful cause and their food is so delicious! I wish I was invited there. :)