• New Harvest Weekend: Part 4

June 6, 2010

Last night, the New Harvest folks treated us to dinner at James, an upscale restaurant that serves modern American cuisine in Philadelphia’s Bella Vista neighborhood.

_MG_1917.JPG

_MG_1894.JPG

The menu at James focuses on local, seasonal produce, humanely raised meats, wild seafood, and artisan cheeses. Because James selects only fresh locally-grown ingredients, the menu changes with the seasons. I love places like this. Plus, the food always tastes better!

_MG_1900.JPG

The decor inside the restaurant was stunning– modern, intimate, and boutique-y.

_MG_1972.JPG

_MG_1928.JPG

New Harvest and James planned a special 4-course menu for us bloggers.

_MG_1931.JPG

As soon as we were seated, the chef sent a complimentary appetizer to the table: shredded carrots coated in a ginger sauce. It was quite fancy served on a single spoon. It was refreshing and summery.

_MG_1935.JPG

I also enjoyed a glass of white wine with dinner. After last night, I took it easy on the booze.

_MG_1939.JPG

For the first course, I enjoyed a Seasonal Garden Salad with a hazelnut vinaigrette. The greens were very lightly coated in vinaigrette (I hate it when greens are drenched in dressing) and pieces of chopped fennel were mixed throughout. Very good.

_MG_1948.JPG

The next course was Potato Gnocchi Gratinata, which was easily the highlight of the meal for me. I love gnocchi and cheese, so I was basically in heaven while eating this dish. I savored each and every piece. Holy delicious!

_MG_1950.JPG

Obviously, I hated it. ;-)

_MG_1957.JPG

My entree was Scottish Salmon, bathed in extra virgin olive oil, with artichoke barigoule. The salmon was basically poached in olive oil, which gave it a very sushi-like texture and flavor. I’ve never eaten salmon like this before. I liked it a lot.

_MG_1960.JPG

Dessert, of course, was also one of my favorite parts of the meal. I chose the Espresso Mousse, which was served with hazelnut daquoise, blood orange, and Grand Marnier sauce.

_MG_1967.JPG

Mmm! Loved it! The mousse was so smooth and creamy. It practically melted in my mouth. The combo of espresso + hazelnut + orange citrus was incredible. I love interesting flavor combinations like this– they keep my tastebuds guessing!

_MG_1966.JPG

My dinner dates: Tanya, Maridel, and Jenna.

IMG_0013.JPG

Monica and me! :-D

IMG_0012.JPG

Another wonderful meal! New Harvest really knows how to wine and dine us! :-D

Packing up and heading back to Beantown. I can’t wait to see my guys. I’ve missed them so much!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 6, 2010 at 8:02 am

James looks delicious- you’re discovering so many places in Philly that I’ve never even heard of!! The salmon especially sounds great, lots of healthy fats :) And that dessert…I’m not even a citrus person and I know I’d love it! Glad you enjoyed Philly, have a safe trip back to Boston!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 6, 2010 at 8:08 am

You are all being so spoilt, what an amazing meal! I especially like the sound of the mousse; it looks divine too :) lucky you!

Wei-Wei June 6, 2010 at 8:13 am

Gnocchi looks amaaaaazing. Cheese :D And that salmon sounds really cool? Wasn’t it a little greasy, though, bathed in olive oil?? Your meal looks sooo good. :D

Have a safe trip!

Wei-Wei

shelly June 6, 2010 at 8:14 am

I have had a craving for gnoochi for weeks! That looks so good!

Erin June 6, 2010 at 8:26 am

I love the lounge-y decor in that restaurant. Very nice.

Melissa Cari @ Miles for Markets June 6, 2010 at 8:36 am

Wow I need to get there asap! I definitely thought I knew of all the restaurants in Philly that serve local focal, but I’ve never heard of James. I have a lot of exploring to do when I move into the city :)

Helen June 6, 2010 at 8:37 am

All of that food looks absolutely delicious! I love restaurants like that, seasonal food is always tastier as it’s so fresh. Your gnocchi looks fab, I love cheesey pasta. I hope you had a great time in Philly, you have definitely been busy! I bet you are so looking forward to seeing M + M soon!

Evan Thomas June 6, 2010 at 8:38 am

That sushi sounds heavenly! I don’t eat any fish(I know, my omega 3’s must be awful) except for sushi or very rare salmon/tuna

Ann @ Appalachian Appetites June 6, 2010 at 8:38 am

I love restaurants like that too! Glad you had a good weekend :) Fly safe!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 6, 2010 at 8:46 am

Looks like a great time! I think that mousse would be my favourite part of the meal too. :D

VeggieGirl June 6, 2010 at 8:54 am

James is SUCH a special restaurant. I love how they poach their fish in olive oil – I had their halibut and it was the best fish I’d ever eaten. Hope you enjoyed Philly, its a fun place!

Marissa June 6, 2010 at 9:15 am

That looks good! I actually picked up potato gnocchi yesterday in the store, but ended up putting it back. Gnocchi’s on my bucket list of food to try!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear June 6, 2010 at 9:31 am

That restaurant looks awesome!

Hannah June 6, 2010 at 9:42 am

That gnocchi looks to-die-for. Golden grilled cheesy goodness… Darn it, I’m hungry again, and it’s almost midnight here in Australia…

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) June 6, 2010 at 10:23 am

Gnocchi!! It is my FAVORITE. I found gnocchi in Mozambique for the first time EVER last week, and I am making it for my birthday on Wednesday. I can’t wait :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 6, 2010 at 10:24 am

Espresso mousse? That sounds divine!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 6, 2010 at 10:37 am

Oh YUM!!! That gnocchi dish looks out of this world!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 6, 2010 at 10:43 am

That’s practically like sashimi salmon. That’s my favorite type of sushi- just plain raw fish. That whole dinner looks fabulous, though! Glad to see the good times are still rollin with all the bloggers! :D

Amber K June 6, 2010 at 10:56 am

Oh, sounds incredibly fabulous! And to get to chat with all of those fabulous ladies? There are no words!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 6, 2010 at 11:01 am

I loooove gnocci. and cheese. haha. Sounds like a great meal.

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy June 6, 2010 at 11:04 am

I’m loving the atmosphere of the restaurant!

Meghan@traveleatlove June 6, 2010 at 11:11 am

That looks like a great restaurant! I will add it to my list for the next time we are in the Philadelphia area!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 6, 2010 at 11:20 am

what a great place – i will let my family know – it sounds right up their alley.

suki June 6, 2010 at 11:43 am

that dinner looks absolutely amazing! :)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 6, 2010 at 11:54 am

Wow what a great meal and unusual salmon. It does look like sushi.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 6, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Looks like a fun restaurant! Very fancy dishes, yummy! :)

Julie June 6, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Wow!! What an amazing meal!! Look’s like you are having a wonderful time!
    Oh, and that deep navy blue color is absolutely stunning on you!
    Can’t wait for your next update!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 6, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Lovely! That potato gnocchi looks amazing. Yummm :)

Jenn

Heather @ Side of Sneakers June 6, 2010 at 3:06 pm

What an amazing dinner/restaurant! –I love seeing fancy meals like that since I’ve never eaten anywhere fancy!!

Heather June 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm

wow it looks so fancy, that cheesy dish looks so good!

Brynne June 6, 2010 at 4:22 pm

All that looks delicious – so jealous!

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh June 6, 2010 at 5:04 pm

What a fun night!! The food all looks delicious – I’m addicted to gnocchi! I don’t like to brag, but I make some mean spelt rosemary gnocchi (;

Have a safe trip home!

runnerforever June 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm

What fine cooking and eating, yum! Have a a safe trip home.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 6, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Wow – what another fabulous evening!!!

Devon June 6, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Wow, that restaurant looks fantastic! I love the green damask sign out front :) I’m a sucker for damask.

Clearly Composed June 6, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Thanks for such great recaps of the trip. I feel like I had a vicarious trip to Philly! :)

Katherine June 6, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I am loving all of these parts of the new harvest. the updates and details are great to read about. I’m with Clearly Composed about the vicarious trip!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 6, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Your New Harvest trip looks like it’s been a blast! And all of the food looks so good!

Wendy Irene June 6, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Love that you have created a job for yourself that included Espresso Moose and Wine! Go Tina!

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 6, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Oooh Hunni and I are going to be in Philly a couple of times this summer and we might need to try this place out.

You always show such amazing restaurants in places that I go for work all the time and it is so hard to choose. I always refer to your blog for restaurant reviews.

Faith (gracefulfitness.wordpress.com) June 7, 2010 at 5:42 am

Yum! That salmon is making my mouth water just looking at it! I have been in developing countries way too long, I need some salmon!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 7, 2010 at 10:27 am

Wow, you always seem to go to some really great restaurants!

Tricia Kuchler June 7, 2010 at 11:33 am

That gnocchi looked amazing!!