• New Harvest Weekend: Part 2

June 5, 2010

Before learning all about New Harvest this morning, we started the day with breakfast at the hotel. We had a wonderful spread of fresh fruit, yogurt, muffins, pastries, eggs, French toast, bagels, bacon, sausage… seriously, there were a ton of options.

_MG_1773.JPG

_MG_1775.JPG

I scoped out the food options and then headed straight for the COFFEE! I drank 2.5 cups with soy milk over the course of the morning. I definitely needed it. I don’t do well on less than 6 hours of sleep.

_MG_1777.JPG

My plates + coffee + water:

_MG_1781.JPG

_MG_1783.JPG

After breakfast, we heard from Jenna Bell, PhD, RD, CSSD and Sujata Bhatia, MD, PhD, who explained the importance of omega-3′s in our diets. Most Americans don’t eat enough fatty fish, so we’re not consuming enough omega-3′s. In fact, only 1 in 10 Americans meet the recommended 2 servings of fatty fish per week and 17% never eat fish. I definitely don’t meet the recommended amount. Do you?

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Ok, so we need to eat more omega-3′s, but did you know that not all omega-3′s are the same? Most people (including me) are unable to differentiate between the types of omega-3 fatty acids, which are EPA, DHA, and ALA. Here’s a quick summary:

• EPA: A long-chain fatty acid found in fish, fish oil supplements. It is known to support heart health.
    • DHA: Another long-chain fatty acid also found in fish and fish oil supplements. It is often associated with brain development in infants.
    • ALA: A short-chain fatty acid found in plant sources like dark green leafy vegetables, flaxseeds, walnuts, and a variety of vegetable oils. A small amount (about 5%) converts to EPA in the body.

So, EPA and DHA come from fish. ALA comes from a variety of vegetable sources. So, if you’re only eating veggie-based omega-3′s and not eating fish, you’re missing out on EPA and DHA. (The conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA in the human body is really weak.)

Since our bodies do not produce omega-3′s and its conversion is inefficient, it’s important to get the right omega-3 fatty acids in your diet through food or supplements. The recommend two servings of fatty fish per week averages out to about 500 mg of EPA per day. A single New Harvest capsule provides 600 mg of EPA. It’s also 100% vegetarian and naturally free of environmental contaminants, PCBs, mercury, and lead.

After hearing all about the health benefits of New Harvest, Mike Saltzberg, PhD, explained how it’s made. New Harvest is made from a special yeast, called Yarrowia lipolytica, which is transformed into EPA. Here’s a detailed explanation of the process.

IMG_0006.JPG

Yeast before and after:

IMG_0007.JPG

Finally, Kathryn Lee, New Harvest’s Marketing Manager, provided us with two diagnostics tests to check the omega-3 levels in our bodies. She explained that if we want to see whether we get any health benefits from taking New Harvest, we should take one test now and the second one 6 weeks later to see if our omega-3 levels increase.

IMG_0012.JPG

I have a feeling that if New Harvest didn’t believe in their product, they wouldn’t have encouraged us to take these tests. I’m definitely going to give it a whirl. Plus, I love doing “body experiments” like this! ;-) I’ll let you know how it goes.

IMG_0011.JPG

Mid-morning, while blogging this post, I snacked on a KIND bar. I think I should have eaten a bigger breakfast. :-?

IMG_0014.JPG

Next, we’re off to the Franklin Institute and to see a vegetarian cooking demonstration.

More to come!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 5, 2010 at 11:05 am

sorry breakfast didn’t hold you over. That spread looks so much better than most hotels though and their bear claws and donuts. Oh, and since I’m a pescatarian, I definitely get the recommended amount of fish! Love those fats :P

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 5, 2010 at 11:18 am

That is so interesting. I’m curious – what are the products?

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 5, 2010 at 11:19 am

I love that you are blogging about Omega 3′s. I’ve known about them because they are a big help to Bipolar Disorder. I used to eat a lot of fish but now I take supplements since I went vegetarian.

Enjoy the Franklin Institute. I still love going back when I visit my mom even though it was the school field trip every year.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 5, 2010 at 11:20 am

I should probably eat more fish, but I definitely fear all the mercury!! These pills sound interesting, it would be great for vegetarians to have an easy omega 3 source! I’m curious to see what you think of them! Hope you enjoy the demonstration :)

Erin June 5, 2010 at 11:20 am

There’s something about having a muffin that I love when staying at a hotel. But it never holds me over very well, either.

Ellie June 5, 2010 at 11:27 am

Thanks for the new info! Very cool

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 5, 2010 at 11:29 am

Ok, I really really want to get hold of some of this vegetarian omega-3! Do they sell it in the UK?

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 5, 2010 at 11:34 am

But if you eat the fatty fish instead of just taking the supplement then you get other benefits that come from fish consumption, like protein,

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear June 5, 2010 at 11:39 am

Before I didn’t get enough of fatty fish, but lately I’ve been improving my diet :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 5, 2010 at 11:52 am

I don’t eat a lot of fish, even though I really attempt to. I can sneak it in the form of tuna, or in crab cakes. But I just don’t like salmon or fish that’s just served with some kind of a sauce. I do take a fish oil supplement though for this reason.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly June 5, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I probably eat too much fish! I have it at least 4-5 times a week!

Erica June 5, 2010 at 12:40 pm

What a cool company. Being vegetarian for about a year now, this is such good info for me. Keep me in the loop :)

Meghan@traveleatlove June 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Sounds like an interesting seminar! I do love eating fish though and try to get it at least 2 times a week especially after the Oldways salmon event.

Wei-Wei June 5, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Did you know that when we supplement omega 3 fatty acids, it’s because we have to have a balance of omega 3 and omega 6? Omega 3 is only found in some foods, whereas omega 6 is a much more common fatty acid that’s found in other foods. So another solution to getting more omega 3s would be to lower your total fat intake, or omega 6, so maintain the balance. Just a tidbit of info for ya ;)

Breakfast looks awesome! It does look extraordinarily small compared to your normal ones, though. Oats FTW always! And thanks for sharing what you learned. It’s all really interesting :)

Wei-Wei

Helen June 5, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I definitely don’t het one portion of fatty fish in a week let alone two! Fish is quite expensive so we only buy it on special occasions. Plus my boyfriend isn’t the biggest fish fan so we never eat it. The New Harvest stuff looks brilliant though, perfect for people like me!

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind June 5, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Um, I want your life. Or at least your job! JEALOUS (in the “I’m so happy for her; I want that, too!” kind of way) ;)

Kath June 5, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Oh how cool to take that test! I would like to do that too :)

theemptynutjar June 5, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I’m good with that. I eat a ton of fish (fatty) a week. Seriously. I do know that the population definitely tend to overdose on omega 6s and miss out on the omega 3s.
    I don’t know what I think about supplements though.
    Seems weird that if the body needs something, people in the world have to fabricate a pill to package up and sell to us. Seems to me I would rather go to the source (fish for example).
    But I am neither vegan or vegetarian, so maybe its more of a pressure for those that follow that lifestyle.

Eliza June 5, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I think I’m doing OK with the fatty fish. I eat a good amount of salmon and shrimp is like my favorite food!
    The test sounds really interesting. I’m curious to see if it works. I agree, they must have a lot of confidence in their product and probably have a lot of evidence to back it up.

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh June 5, 2010 at 2:56 pm

What a fun looking breakfast! I’m jealous!! I try to eat enough fish every week – but I don’t really believe in the importance of individual nutrients (I like the Pollan Approach), but I eat more fish than most mainly because I don’t eat meat to be honest. (:

Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss June 5, 2010 at 3:15 pm

And here I was thinking you showed remarkable restraint with your small-ish breakfast in the face of such a big spread. (I’m horrible, and would have filled both those plates …)

I definitely don’t eat enough fish. I keep telling myself I should eat more, but the only fish I truly love is breaded and deep-fried. :P

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I only in the last few months have been getting my omega 3′s. I eat salmon mostly about 1 or 2 times a week. It’s a work in progress, but I’m having salmon tonight.

M June 5, 2010 at 6:20 pm

(I also posted this On ELR blog)
    I really like Jenna and Tina, etc etc blogs.
    I am not a fan of these type of “advertisements” on blogs by companies though(I felt the same way with Kath’s Lipton sponsored tour/trip and with Tina’s Eggland venture etc etc)

It just seems like the companies are getting blatant advertising and I know the bloggers let us know what they do and don’t like,etc but upon reading Jenna and Tina’s blog about this product I did feel like I was reading a big commercial.

I understand one needs to make a living,it’s just tricky because some of us really don’t want to be presented any more advertising no matter how subtle in our lives.

That is just my two cents. I am a big fan of these bloggers and enjoy their writings(except for product placements/samples) and hope they all understand this point of view.I wish them nothing but the best.It’s just the companies that make me feel uneasy and taken advantage of that they have invaded the blogger world.

Anyways all the best in life and love to the blogger girls (and please do not take this critique as a personal affront-you all rock!)

Katherine June 5, 2010 at 6:35 pm

quite a spread; it is amazing you get to do things like this

Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 5, 2010 at 7:03 pm

how interesting! i like learning a lot more when there’s a great spread like that.

Hannah June 5, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I do! For the past three weeks I’ve been eating a can of sardines every single day as a snack. Yay brain food and healthy oils! (In ym mind, it counteracts the block of chocolate I also eat every day)

Jilliana June 5, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Just branching off from 23′s comment, it is interesting the different perspectives we can have. I’ve worked for natural supplement companies for 11 years- with health food stores ranging from GNC to Whole Foods, as well as independents, and I’ve worked for a couple of fish oil companies. As far as I know, this company is only in GNC right now, and I’m not knocking the experience *at all*, because it’s obviously fun for Tina and everyone involved, but most supplement companies wouldn’t think of spending their money this way for “advertising”. So, if anything, as I’ve been seeing more of this sort of thing in the blog world, it’s just really surprising to me- I don’t even think of it as advertising, even if that is what the intended purpose is.

Amber K June 5, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I take fish oil supplements, but I would love a vegetarian source of all of the omega-3′s! I can’t wait to read more.

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 5, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I’m curious about the tests. Those results should be interesting.

Jenn

Lindsay June 6, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I am allergic to fish… so I guess I dont meet the weekly requirements for omega – 3 fatty acids. But I am also NOT sure if I would try this supplement because I like to stay away from medications and supplements as much as possible!

Doug June 6, 2010 at 11:01 pm

You can get the Omega 3 Test done at http://www.Omega3Test.com for $69.99. It is normally $149.99 but this site is offering a promotion for a few more weeks until there site is up.

This is from the lab that invented the term “omega 3″ and discovered the essential nature of omega 3.

Bethanie Mollenkopf February 1, 2011 at 9:11 am

This is my first time i visit here. I found so manyinteresting stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the excellent work.

David Pibroch April 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Please can anyone please tell if I can get hold of New Harvest Veg EPA (or similar high dosage epa product) in the UK? Futurebiotics won’t sell to UK and won’t say why. It’s strange! Someone please make a helpful suggestion!!
    Thank you.