• Murphy Says, “Get It Together”

June 7, 2010

IMG_8546.JPG

Do you ever have those days or even weeks that you’re just not motivated to do anything? Exercise is totally unappealing, cooking healthy meals is a major chore, and even the little things, like doing laundry, seem like a hassle? Well, last week was one of those weeks for me. I could not get it together. I felt like I had no direction or desire to do anything. Of course, I did what I absolutely needed to do for my various jobs, but I couldn’t get myself to do anything extra. I felt like such a bum. :-? But, after my weekend away, I feel like a completely new person– recharged and ready to tackle the week!

Being Monday morning and all, I thought it would be a good time for me to set some Monday Mini Goals to keep me on track:

I find that making a list helps me stay focused, especially for tasks that don’t have a deadline, like updating my out-of-date blog pages. (I’m the only one who can set a deadline for that!) Hopefully, everything on this list will be accomplished by Friday!

Breakfast

I started my morning with a peanut butter, honey, banana, and raisin sandwich on whole wheat bread.

_MG_1976.JPG

I had a serious craving for peanut butter + banana, but I wanted to switch it up a little bit. Mal has been rocking the peanut butter + honey sandwiches lately, so he inspired me to give the combo a whirl this morning. I added raisins for some “chew.”

_MG_1980.JPG

And, of course, I also enjoyed some Birthday Cake iced coffee, which is on sale until my actual birthday next week! ;-)

_MG_1985.JPG

Mmm… sandwich.

_MG_1993.JPG

What are your Monday Mini Goal for the week?

P.S. I’m hosting a bar giveaway over on Trading Up Downtown this morning! :mrgreen:

allie June 7, 2010 at 10:31 am

i love mini goal lists for the week. i make them every sunday night!

Barbara(Blood, Sweat and Heels) June 7, 2010 at 10:39 am

Tina~

Yay for being recharged!!!!!!

My goals are to BREATHE and not freak out this week with Board mtg,Conference,shooting scenes for a Documentary and find time for myself. Jeez…it’s going to be a jam packed week!

B

Marlow June 7, 2010 at 10:39 am

Interestingly enough, after….oh about 15 years of having my menstrual cycle, I have finally figured out that the week before my period I am basically a sad sack. My head is foggy, my energy low, I’m completely scattered and all I want to do is lay. Now that I’ve realized that I’m not actually depressed, it is getting better. I’m still foggy, but knowing that it’s temporary is helping!

Angela June 7, 2010 at 10:42 am

Goal number one is to try to eat-in/pack lunches most of the week. I’ve also been overindulging with alcohol because of recent weddings, showers, bachelorettes, etc, so I want to take the week to detox. For fitness, I want to go to Bikram at least 3 times – I’ve been so busy I haven’t been taking advantage of my membership :( Also I want to try out my Core Fusion DVDs. I love the classes so I need to try the videos. And then post about it all! :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 10:49 am

I just need to make it through today and tomorrow! I’m moving out and I’m SO far behind on packing. Reading blogs isn’t helping too much, but it’s like a treat for me :)

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind June 7, 2010 at 10:57 am

I love this! I’m so in need of a “lifestyle goals” re-evaluation. When I start feeling like this, I make a list of all the things I need/want to start working on, then I email it to my best friend [she's the one person in my life who's totatlly on the same (healthy) page as me]. Goal for today: make a new goals list. ;) Thanks for the kick in the booty, Tina!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 7, 2010 at 11:02 am

i totally understand about the waxing and waning of motivation from week to week. luckily this week is motivation b/c i’ve got a film shoot this weekend! my mini goal for today is to watch woody allen’s “manhattan” for inspiration b/c the movie is being shot in black and white.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) June 7, 2010 at 11:13 am

Making lists helps me too. I love crossing stuff off and I don’t like it when things stay on the list too long so that helps me motivate to tackle them.

kate June 7, 2010 at 11:19 am

My goal list is huge since Im moving to another state tomorrow, but I can not function without a solid to-do list! Good luck everyone on your MMG’s!

Holly June 7, 2010 at 11:20 am

mmm I LOVE honey & peanut butter sandwiches- I also add a banana. I would always eat those after cross country & track meets :)
    And as for mini goals- first & foremost: had to look at Monday positivly. Usually I have a case of the Mondays, but I promised myself that I’d start out looking at it as a fresh start!

Amber K June 7, 2010 at 11:22 am

I totally have those days/weeks! It usually happens when I am extremely stressed and overwhelmed and then doing one more thing like fitness or eating right seems like way too much. But then of course, I eat junk and then feel worse! So that’s just silly. I have been eating too many desserts lately, so my mini-goals for the week is to only have one dessert, after dinner, per day. Then I am going to treat myself to some fruit and fro-yo this weekend. =)

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 7, 2010 at 11:35 am

i really needed to see this today…i have huge goals, but never think of setting the mini goals to get there! my mini goals this week are to get the new blog ready to go up for my photography business, spend time outside, and get a workout in every day (even if it’s just really gentle yoga)

Jeanette June 7, 2010 at 11:41 am

I feel like my week is going to be difficult to get through – I’m coming down with a cold. Maybe I need a vacation, lol

Hallie June 7, 2010 at 11:41 am

I don’t know what my goals are…guess I should make some! Seems like a good way to look at things, over the course of a week versus one day or one month.

My BF LOVES PB and honey sandwiches too. I got him into them, and there was no turning back.

Lisa June 7, 2010 at 11:47 am

Mondays are hard days to be motivated! I try and schedule a run for Mondays to keep me from being lazy or tired!

Ananda June 7, 2010 at 11:48 am

My goal this week is to get in 5 workouts. I only have 26 days until my 4th of July camping weekend and I want to feel okay about myself….

On a side note, I’m intrigued by this Teddie Butter that you often mention on your blog. I looked at 3 different stores this weekend (Columbus, Oh) but alas, I could not find it! A search of their website leads me to believe that it’s not available in my area :( I don’t know how your OpenSky shop works but do you think you’d ever add it there?

Jenny June 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Honestly, mine is too drink less. I imbibed a little too much over the weekend!

Jill June 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Hi Tina! I just have to say that I’ve been reading your blog for a while and really like it-both the “healthy life” parts AND the Murphy parts! Seriously…he is so cute, which is a lot coming from me because I’m typically a cat person all the way :-)

I’ve been making a lot of mini goals for myself lately, and think they work really well. Today, they include 1) Go to yoga and walk for at least 30 min. 2) Do at least 100 NCLEX practice questions (I just graduated from nursing school and have to take boards soon!) and 3) Pack up at least one area of my bedroom (since I’m moving out of my apartment soon).

Amanda June 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Thanks! You inspired me to make some mini-goals for myself this week. I had one of those “I could not get it together weeks” as well! By the way, I love your blog!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 7, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I’ve been feeling directionless lately too. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one; thanks for the motivation and positivity. Today is a new day, a new week!

Do you get facials regularly? I love them, but unfortunately can’t afford them as much as my face needs them.

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 7, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I need to:
    1. get my sermon done before friday.
    2. Pack for vacation.
    3. Pre make snacks for traveling
    4. Schedule dinner with friend for day to trip DC.
    5. Workout 3x.
    6. Work on getting one quilt done before the wedding.

Heather Rose June 7, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I feel kind of like a slug after the weekend (took both Saturday and Sunday off from working out, which I haven’t done in forever), so my mini goals for this week are mainly just to get back on the workout train and stick with my normal schedule of working out 6 days a week.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 7, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Making a to-do list totally helps. Every night before I leave work I update the to-do list on my computer and print off a new sheet. That way I have something tangible and can scratch off tasks as I do them. Without a list, I’m lost.

Natalie (The Sweets Life) June 7, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I’m lost without my weekly lists that are usually written on Monday :) We got back in town late last night and leave again on Thursday afternoon so my goals this week include boring tasks like laundry and re-packing…but it’s for a fun race so I can’t complain too much!

Amanda @ amandaonfoot June 7, 2010 at 1:11 pm

The sandwich looks yummy.

You could say that I’m a “planner girl.” I basically live through my date planner, writing anything and everything down for each day. That definitely keeps me organized and ready to tackle Monday’s tasks.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers June 7, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Haha I have days like that ALL the time—glad you were able to recharge!! :)

Amy @ Amy Starts To Run June 7, 2010 at 1:17 pm

My goal is to prepare for the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) I will be taking on Friday. I am woefully underprepare and have my work cut out for me. I also want to run at least 2 times before friday and a different workout at least once.

I know all about be unmotivated, my laundry pile stares at me everyday and mocks me by getting larger and larger.

MelanieF June 7, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Goal #1 : Exercise at least 5 times
    Goal #2 : Keep track of what I’m eating
    Goal #3 : Just feel good about myself :-)

Nic June 7, 2010 at 1:35 pm

My only Goal is to give myself (or more my muscles) some much needed rest!!
    As I’m dancing in a ‘play’ end of this month, I am really hard on myself!!

Oh and btw, I just saw the cutest pug puppie and was of course instantly thinking of you!! ;)

Natalie June 7, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Love the idea of Monday Mini Goals! I’ve been doing something similar on a whiteboard I have hanging in my room. It helps a lot to see things written down and being able to cross them off!

Mine for this week:
    Run 3 times – One down already!
    Finish up my evaluations for school – This will be done on Wednesday with my conference!
    Pack up my room & move back home – So. Much. Stuff.

Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss June 7, 2010 at 1:56 pm

My mini-goals for the week:

1. Get myself to a WW meeting (for 1st time since December)

2. Track what I eat all week long

3. Drink the recommended amt of water

Back to the basics, bay-bee! ;)

Emily June 7, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Awww. I love that Murphy pic! You know I should get a dog when I check your blog for the puppy pics just as much as for the lunch ideas. :P

Tina June 7, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I have been struggling recently too…although mine is in the shape of first trimester pregnancy food aversions and fatigue so I guess I have to learn to deal. Boo. I hate not feeling like myself.

My mini goal for this week, is to keep it together for packing up for our trip to Indy on Thursday.

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 7, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I had an unmotivated day last Tuesday after returning back to the “real world” after a 3 week traveling hiatus. It was really hard for me to get motivated but I pushed myself to yoga that evening and everything just kinda worked out from there!

sarah (the SHU box) June 7, 2010 at 3:45 pm

for me, daily goals are even better than a weekly list — i tend to get overwhelmed easily :)

today’s goals:
    – workout: yoga for runners + 4 miles (done!)
    – send out work-related emails i had been procrastinating on (done!)
    – request days off for next year’s vacay (done)
    – make dr’s appt (done)

still left
    – submit dental insurance claim
    – pay billz
    – errands: dry cleaning, return, car inspection
    – make dinner
    – make muffins ( ♡ )
    – 30 minutes board prep

luckily i got out of work early!

Ash Bear June 7, 2010 at 3:51 pm

1. Run outside 4 days this week including run club
    2. Schedule a massage
    3. Do abs each day
    4. Do 4 days of arms
    5. Blog 2x per day

When are you coming to NYC?! Are you coming to BlogHer?

Wendy Irene June 7, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Hi Tina! Getting away helps me recharge more than anything else when I am feeling that way too! So glad you had a great time. I loved the recap!!

Emilyeatsclean June 7, 2010 at 10:17 pm

My goal: To survive the work week! :)

whitney June 8, 2010 at 9:06 am

list tend to be the only way I can actually get stuff done. They really help and make you feel so good when you can cross off things on your list