• Hip Hip Hooray

June 30, 2010

What day is it? It’s Wednesday, right? I could have sworn it was Thursday today. Apparently, I’m really ready for the weekend to be here!

Are you looking forward to the long 4th of July weekend? What are your plans?

Lunch

I packed the best lunch today: homemade salad with crumbled blue cheese, YoBaby 3-in-1 peach & squash yogurt with organic almond granola, and a banana. I loved it. I wish all of my lunches were like this one!

IMG_0003.JPG

Snacks

I had a few errands to run after work, so I grabbed a bag of Almond M&Ms to snack on. They quieted my stomach while I ran around the mall, but they had zero staying-power. You’d think I would have learned my lesson by now! :-?

IMG_0004.JPG

When I got finally got home, Mal and I took Murphy for his long walk of the day and then I headed out for a run around the neighborhood.

Before lacing up my sneakers, I snacked on a piece of Fruit & Nut Manna Bread with Barney Butter smeared on top. No matter what, I always need to have a little something in my stomach when I exercise. Otherwise, I feel so weak.

IMG_0007.JPG

Workout

My run was AWESOME tonight!!! The weather was perfect, I rocked out to Lady Gaga, and I ran 5 miles with no hip pain! Hooray! :mrgreen:

The run was also fun because I played a little game with Pandora on my iPhone: every time a Lady Gaga song came on, I picked up my pace for the entire duration of the song. By mile 4, I had only heard two songs, so I added Britney songs to the list. Letting the music dictate my workout definitely made it fly by!

I ran 5 miles in 43:33 (8:42 pace), which isn’t too shabby considering I haven’t run more than 4 miles in a good 6 months. (For the new readers, I’ve been battling a hip injury since April 2009.)

• Mile 1: 8:22
    • Mile 2: 8:38
    • Mile 3: 8:39
    • Mile 4: 9:06
    • Mile 5: 8:45

After my run, I made sure to stretch for a solid 15 minutes just like my chiropractor suggested. All of this stretching really seems to be helping. But, I’ll let ya know how my hip feels tomorrow! ;-)

I also rolled the crap out of my quads, hams, and IT bands using my Tiger Tail. Thing thing really helps my legs too.

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

As I always say: hurts so good! ;-)

IMG_0014.JPG

Last chance: the Tiger Tail is 20% off until midnight tonight. Just enter the coupon code 20Tiger at checkout to get the deal.

Dinner

When I walked through the door after my run, dinner was waiting for me. Well, all of the ingredients were prepared on a plate; I just had to put it together.

IMG_0022.JPG

For dinner, Mal made “BALT” sandwiches: bacon, avocado, lettuce, and tomato.

IMG_0023.JPG

I had mine on a Sandwich Thin with a little bit of mayo. It was such a good sandwich! My husband is a genius! :-D

IMG_0025.JPG

I’m in the mood to bake tonight, so I’m going to try out the spelt flour from the Beidlers. Wish me luck! :-D

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear July 1, 2010 at 8:40 am

Your husband really is a genius, I must make bacon sandwiches this weekend :)

Marissa July 1, 2010 at 9:26 am

Wow, amazing run! I have hip problems too, after a bad fall from a horse back in March 09. I just ran 2.5 miles (my longest distance since last November, right after I finished with triweekly physical therapy) yesterday! Sadly, that threw my SI joint out… ouch…

Lauren @ Running Examiner July 1, 2010 at 9:31 am

So glad to hear that your hip is giving you no pain! That’s such a marked improvement from several months ago! I’m sure all your stretching/foam rolling is really doing the trick. I swear by it too!

Yesterday was a perfect running day here, too :) I also listened to Lady Gaga, and I’d like to say that she’s a fantastic running companion.

Lauren @ Running Examiner July 1, 2010 at 9:33 am

Side note–I LOVE YoBaby yogurt. Omg. It was ‘introduced’ to me via my 11-month-old niece :) Delicious!

Beth @ bethcooks July 1, 2010 at 11:44 am

I totally understand that hip pain! I got that will training for a half marathon and I couldn’t run for months. I find that if I do mostly flat runs, it helps a lot!

Jen July 1, 2010 at 12:04 pm

i’m not gonna lie, i use my rolling pin instead of a tiger tail! my husband always looks at me like i’m a huge weirdo but, hey, if i wash it before i bake, i figure it’s totally allowed!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing July 1, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I have to work on Monday…boo hoo! But I still plan to make the most of my weekend. Saturday I’m apartment hunting then going to a 4th of July party in the evening. Sunday I’m going to the Baltimore Aquarium and out for some MD seafood. Looking forward to it! :)

Marian July 1, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Your recent posts have inspired me to go out and try almond butter. I often have grapefruit and a big spoonful of peanut butter right after a morning run. Hopefully the almond butter will be just as good or better!

Amanda (modernation) July 1, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Mal IS a genius! I am totally putting BLATs on our meal plan for next week. So easy and perfect summer dinner!