• Lunch with the CE-Yo

May 24, 2010

Look who I met today: Gary Hirshberg, the CE-Yo of Stonyfield!!! :mrgreen:

IMG_0052.JPG

Gary is such a friendly and charismatic guy. Of course, I was star struck. :oops:

This afternoon, I had the opportunity to enjoy lunch with Gary and some other local food bloggers. Gary visited Boston today, so he wanted to share his views about how we can restore balance to our health and our planet’s health by looking at what we eat and how it’s produced in a roundtable-style discussion. We also had the opportunity to ask him questions, share ideas, and learn more about what we can do to shake up our food system. I definitely learned a lot this afternoon. I actually feel empowered about what to choose when it comes to the food that I eat.

The Stonyfield luncheon was held at EVOO in Kendall Square. EVOO serves eclectic New American cuisine, using as many local ingredients as possible. Their menu changes daily depending on what is in season. Very cool.

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

It was nice to see some of my favorite bloggers at the event: Meghan, Elina, and Jennifer! :-D

IMG_0049.JPG

Lunch was delicious and, oh, so fresh. I loved seeing all of the different shades of green on my plate!

Asparagus, Peas, Fiddleheads, Radish and Arugula with Great Hill Blue Cheese, Herbed (Stonyfield) Yogurt Dressing and Course Crunch Crunch

IMG_0059.JPG

I loved the addition of Fiddleheads. They’re fun to eat! ;-)

IMG_0060.JPG

I love dining with food bloggers! :mrgreen:

IMG_0054.JPG

Chinese Box Full of Crisp Fried Mustard-Glazed Tofu, Asparagus, Gingered Vegetable – Cashew Salad and Organic Brown Rice

IMG_0061.JPG

This dish was also really fun to eat. It was basically a tower-o-food!

IMG_0062.JPG

The fried tofu was to die for. Honestly, it was perfect. The mustard-glaze was a wonderful compliment to the tofu, veggies, and rice. I loved this dish and definitely recommend it.

IMG_0071.JPG

Stonyfield Yogurt Tart with Balsamic-Basil Glazed Strawberries

IMG_0073.JPG

Dessert was also incredibly fresh and delicious. It’s amazing how much more flavor organic ingredients have to them.

IMG_0075.JPG

While we enjoyed our meal, Gary shared a plethora of information with us about organics– all of which was fascinating and made me realize that I need to step-it-up in the organic department.

What I found most important was Gary’s point about making a difference one purchase at a time. Some people may think that going organic is an all or nothing way of living, but even just purchasing one organic product instead of conventional makes a difference in the lives of farmers, animals, and our earth.

Gary also emphasized a number of reasons to chose organics:

• Profitable to farmers
    • Healthy animals with longer lives
    • More nutritious food (organics have more antioxidants)
    • Better tasting food
    • Smaller carbon footprint
    • Benefits our children

Basically, everyone wins with organics. Plus, if you think about it, there’s only one reason to not eat organically, which is price. Organic foods can be expensive, but the more you use your purchasing power to increase the demand for organic products, the more level the playing field becomes for conventional and organics. (Of course, there is A LOT more that goes into this argument, but this seemed to be Gary’s main point.)

All in all, this afternoon’s lunch was a very enlightening and empowering experience. I’m definitely going to choose organic more often.

What’s your take on organics?

Stacy May 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I think it is really important to support local farmers. Over the past 20 years food has become BIG business with $$$s being the driving factor. Some of the now common practices in the food industry are disgusting. Genetically modified everything!

Since I know I don’t agree with big business farming and animal raising, I feel obligated to put my money where my mouth is. Buying organic produce and grass fed/pasture raised meat is more expensive, but big business will never change if the consumers don’t demand it.

This is a huge change for many of us. While changing the food we bring into our homes is good, we also need to look at the foods we eat outside of our homes. The restaurant industry is so big in this country. If we can drive change at that level, then things will really change.

Hayley May 24, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Organic is so, so important to me. People always hesitate to spend more for the “organic” label, but honestly, it’s worth it. It sucks that conventional farming, pesticides, GMOs, etc even happened and we ever got away from organic. But it’s how it should be, so I’ll pay for it.

Never had a Fiddlehead– adding to food bucket list.

kate May 24, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I just had some Stonyfield for my dessert! I love the companys philosophy.

Rachael May 24, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I hope that the evolution of the human diet will continue to move towards doing not only what is nutritious and right for our bodies, but also for the welfare of other folks, animals and land itself. Organic eating is certainly more ethical – the challenge, in my mind, is to find ways to make it more equitable and accessible to everyone.
    Fiddlehead ferns- never had them until I moved to Appalachia, and I’m in love. You can forage for them here, along with ramps. Good, simple (and free!) food.

The Wife of a Dairyman May 24, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I only buy SOME produce organic and go by “The Dirty Dozen” list of produce that’s most contaminated. There is also “The Clean 15 list” of produce I do not buy organic and just decide upon the in between stuff. I have the lists on one of my blog posts http://tinyurl.com/33vcmje or just google organic dirty dozen list and a whole lot of info comes up on what’s a good idea to buy organic and what isn’t really necessary to buy organic. And I’m all for buying local produce and meat, organic or otherwise :)

Maissa May 24, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Here’s the way I look at buying organic. It is an investment in my health. Beyond the environmental benefits, pestisides have been linked with cancers, and other health complications. Let me tell you , having cancer is expensive, health complications are expensive, much more so than buying organic. I would rather spend the money now and enjoy delicious food and know I am doing everything I can to avid chemicals that have been proven to do serious damage later in life.

Annie May 24, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I think buying organics and buying local are extremely important. I try to do this as much as I can! I believe we truly do “vote with our dollars”. There is much greater demand for organics than there used to be, and major companies are investing in organics because that’s what consumers want. Thankfully, this means prices will slowly get cheaper, and more importantly, we will be saving ourselves and helping better the lives of animals and farmers who work so hard for us.

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 25, 2010 at 12:34 am

This is so cool! I pretty much buy all organic. I went to a lecture tonight where the main topic was about honeybees, but the lecturer was very pro organic. He said that people may say that they can’t afford organic, but in his mind we can’t NOT afford it. Even a tsp of poison (in the form of pesticide) a day is still poison. I thought it was a very good point.

Samantha @ Food Edu May 25, 2010 at 12:38 am

By default most all of the fruits and vegetables I buy are organically grown, (not necessarily certified organic) because they are delivered via CSA. Personally, I don’t value organic products over non organic products, but I do value local products. The closer the source is to my community, I will most likey pay a premium for it. I generally don’t buy products not grown here in the US.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 12:39 am

I love your facts about organic. I’m really proud of myself for buying all organic berries at the grocery store. Even though they were almost $5.00 a pop, I feel great and know that I don’t have pesticides and other gross chemicals entering into my body.

Hannah May 25, 2010 at 12:52 am

OMG. That meal looks so amazing I think I might crawl into a hole and die. I have NEVER seen fiddlehead ferns in Australia. What do they taste like?

Jen @ Tiny Urban Kitchen May 25, 2010 at 1:03 am

Great re-cap! And man, you post fast! I’ve barely worked up my pictures! It was great meeting you today, and I look forward to meeting you at other events. :)

Lynn (The Actors Diet) May 25, 2010 at 1:45 am

is that place named after extra virgin olive oil?!?!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs May 25, 2010 at 2:37 am

That tofu box thing – amazing!
    I try and buy organic when I’m going to eat the skin on something (ie an apple) but not necessarily on everything – I couldn’t afford to!

Dannielle May 25, 2010 at 4:40 am

Buying organic is the better choice, but if we’re talkig about environmental impact and the health of the planet, then going meatless has a much, MUCH bigger impact. Also it doesn’t seem very environmentally conscious to serve individual meals in paper boxes?!

Lauren May 25, 2010 at 6:10 am

What a fun and informative event! I wish I had known about it…

Items I ALWAYS buy organic:
    -milk
    -eggs
    -fruits & vegetables with edible skin (i.e. apples, pears, grapes, all stone fruits, all berries, tomatoes, zucchini & summer squash, potatoes, lettuce & other greens, carrots etc.)

Trader Joe’s has a wide selection of very affordable organic produce – less expensive than the same items at Shaw’s or Stop & Shop!

Marieke May 25, 2010 at 6:26 am

Very interesting! I like the fact they mention that many people feel like it’s all or nothing, this is how I felt as well! I buy a few products organice (dairy) and at least I feel now that I am helping a little bit. I simply don’t have enough money to buy all my shopping organic. Thanks for that information.

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind May 25, 2010 at 7:07 am

I’d love to buy all organic, but simply don’t have the money. I also just moved back in with my parents a few months ago, and since I’m usually not the one buying the groceries, I hate to request all organic. I have, however, had an impact on my mom since moving home – she’s looking into buying local organic produce and meat now! :)

Nicole May 25, 2010 at 7:18 am

What an insightful day! I’ve never had a fiddlehead what do they taste like?

Kelly May 25, 2010 at 7:42 am

I try to buy organic when I can- which isn’t all the time, but as much as possible. I definitely can see t hat if more people did it, it would be cheaper for everyone!

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy May 25, 2010 at 7:50 am

I’ve never even heard of Fiddleheads!! Thanks for introducing me to something new :D

diana(mymarblerye) May 25, 2010 at 8:06 am

I just wrote about “organics” and my paranoia today! Anyways, I try to buy more organic produce nowadays…and so jealous you met “THE MAN”…other than Michael Polland, Gary is my second old man crush.

Jessica May 25, 2010 at 8:21 am

SO cool! I love the picture of the 3 bloggers takign photos of their food.

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete May 25, 2010 at 8:21 am

I cannot believe you had lunch with him! He is truly an icon, and when I first saw him in Food Inc., I could completely tell he wants to change the world. Buying organic isn’t just for hippies anymore!

Maura May 25, 2010 at 8:36 am

The CE-Yo actually spoke at my commencement ceremony @ UNH last year. He’s a great public speaker & actually a really cool guy!!! I’m jealous you had lunch with him!! I try to buy as organic as my budget will allow..sometimes thats not as often as I’d like though. Wah..wahh…haha

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries May 25, 2010 at 8:39 am

I am so jealous!! I LOVED Gary’s portion of Food, Inc. I was especially moved by his commitment to organics coming from one purchase at a time, as you said. I try to buy most things organic these days. My bill has definitely increased, but after seeing Food, Inc., I feel it’s worth the money. So rooting for you to win the Barnstorming!! And, BOMF seems like SUCH a great organization. Really proud of you, girl!

Brittany @ A Healthy Slice of Life May 25, 2010 at 8:59 am

WOW, I’m so jealous of your afternoon- looks like a great time!

Tell Gary that I’m fighting on his side… Goooo Organics! ;)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 25, 2010 at 9:05 am

I would love to eat more organic foods, but they’re so expensive. A regular cucumber was selling for 79 cents at Whole Foods last week. The same size organic cucumber was $2.35. Sometimes it’s worth it but sometimes I just can’t justify the price.

Kara May 25, 2010 at 9:06 am

My house recently went mostly organic. It is expensive, but I do think it’s worth every penny.
    The tid bit about non-organic produce that helped motivate me: you should never eat around the stem of a conventional apple because that’s where most of the chemicals pool.
    Talk about unnerving.

Heather @ (The Single Dish) May 25, 2010 at 9:39 am

I met Gary at a reception for my college, Bates College, a few weeks back. His son goes there. It was such a nice experience, he didn’t know about Overnight Oats, so I informed him and he liked the idea!!

Corinne May 25, 2010 at 10:11 am

I try to purchase organic whenever I can: vegetables are my main priority, yogurt next! It all started my freshman year of college (UNH) when I heard Gary and others from Stoneyfield speak as a guest lecturer for my Intro to Business class. He is a very wise man, as you pointed out! Lots of information and definitely woke me up as to the benefits of buying organic.

AllieNic May 25, 2010 at 10:17 am

I try to buy organic produce as often as possible…It’s expensive, but if you think about your body as your most prized possession, wouldn’t you want to fuel it with the best, highest quality foods? It’s like having a fancy car…would you put regular gas in a BMW M3? No! You’d choose premium…my body is so important to me…I choose premium.

Jo May 25, 2010 at 10:32 am

Tina- I try to buy organic dairy products but I ahve trouble finding organic low-fat cheese options. Is there just not a demand for them or is there another reason?

Eileen May 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I try to buy organic as much as possible and even though it is more expensive, I think it is worth it. The issue I have is that it can be difficult to find organic produce and other options in the regular grocery store and I don’t always have the time to make a special trip to an organic store or farmer’s market. I like the point you made though, that even buying one thing that is organic is still good- as often times I have to mix and match my organic and non organic products.

Alison May 25, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Aren’t the people at Stonyfield the best? They’re one of our Mediterranean Foods Alliance members. And I will DEFINITELY have to check out EVOO soon! The food looks fabulous.

Becca May 25, 2010 at 1:58 pm

That picture of Murphy looks so familiar! Our beagle eats her breakfast and promptly jumps back in the bad and cuddles up to the pillows.

catherine (FOOD SNOB) May 25, 2010 at 2:27 pm

We buy as much organic and/or local as we can, try for all organic dairy, avoid GMOs, and always buy organic off the “dirty dozen” list. And we spend a fortune on groceries for two people, compared to most couples our age. But, it’s a priority for us, so we make sacrifices in other areas of our life (for example, we only have one car, we don’t have cable, etc.)

Do you know what’s the craziest thing? Not only do organic foods taste better, (and some say they have higher levels of vitamins/nutrients,) I used to have horrible acne problems (even as an adult.) Now that I’ve switched to mostly organic (and minimally processed) foods, my acne is completely gone. Strange, huh?

Ashley May 25, 2010 at 2:41 pm

What an awesome opportunity for you! I love Stoneyfield products…and Gary too! I recently watched Food Inc. a documentary about our supermarkets…Gary was featured in the piece. It is so eye opening….I purchase as much organic food as possible. I love supporting my local farmers!

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh May 25, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Wow I am so jealous of your meal! It looks amazing and the company looked even better! I love reading your blog because you always have something fun going on. I’m glad you had a good time (:

I try to buy from farmers markets and purchase organic whenever I can, but as you stated it can get kind of pricey. However, I like to think about the positive effect it will have on my overall health and the cost doesn’t seem quite so bad lol

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) May 26, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Stonyfield organic yogurts!!! I buy them every week! The Yo-Baby ones for my kids and Mommy eats them too! :) I really REALLY want you to win!

Faith @ LovelyAsCharged May 26, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I really admire the organic eating movement, and although I’m behind it 100%, my budget makes it very hard to purchase more than one, maybe two organic items per grocery trip. Maybe I’m just cheapy, but it’s hard to talk myself into a $4 bag of organic spinach when I can buy two at a time and I can get the non-organic for not even $2. That said, I love the concept and hope to transition to more organic foods whenever possible.