• Life’s To Do List

April 26, 2010

Good morning and happy Monday! :mrgreen:

First things first: BREAKFAST!

Breakfast

Breakfast was split into two parts this morning. When I woke up, I made a piece of whole wheat toast and topped it with Teddie peanut butter and a few raisins.

IMG_0002.JPG

This combo is so delicious! It’s also great for hunger control.

IMG_0005.JPG

I also had a glass of iced coffee with vanilla soy milk.

IMG_0006.JPG

Then, I headed to the gym, where I did 45-minutes on the elliptical. I alternated the resistance between 5 – 12 and kept my strides per minute between 140-160. It wasn’t the hardest workout I’ve ever had, but I was a sweaty mess by the end!

My second breakfast was sliced apple and Greek yogurt with cinnamon for dipping.

IMG_0007.JPG

Apple + cinnamon yogurt = apple pie! Delish!

IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0015.JPG

Life’s To Do List

So, I have a little story for you guys this morning. Don’t worry the big announcement is coming soon! ;-)

When I graduated college and moved to Boston, I had a really tough time. I didn’t have a full-time job, I gained 20+ pounds, and my boyfriend of 1.5 years broke up with me. Obviously, I was not a happy camper.

I felt so lost during this time. In college (and even high school), I always had a plan and direction, which kept me on track with achieving my goals. This was the first time ever that I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.

If you’re a long-time reader of CNC, you know that I’m not the type of person who sits back and just complains about life. Of course, I feel sorry for myself for a little bit, but don’t let it last for long. I get it together and DO something about it.

So, in the Fall of 2002, I stopped sulking and gave myself some direction by created this Life’s To Do List:

Life’s To Do List

1. Own a dog
    2. Drive across the country
    3. Ride in a gondola in Venice
    4. Gamble in Vegas (April 2008)
    5. Run a marathon (January 2011 & November 2011)
    6. Learn to make really great chili
    7. Make a wish on a shooting star
    8. Take a wine tasting class
    9. Go on a tropical vacation (July 2008)
    10. Drive Route 66
    11. Take mom on a sweet vacation
    12. Visit California wine country (January 2007)
    13. Visit the Grand Canyon
    14. Go to Mardi Gras (March 2004)
    15. Register as an organ donor
    16. Visit Niagara Falls
    17. Visit the Eiffel Tower (June 2006)
    18. Live in a city besides Boston
    19. Brew my own beer (2007)
    20. See the Hollywood Walk of Fame (January 2007)
    21. Ski the Swiss Alps
    22. Visit Hawaii
    23. Ride the NYC subway
    24. Plant a tree
    25. Visit a psychic (August 2003)
    26. Fall in love and get married (July 2008)
    27. Be a mom
    28. Become debt free (November 2005)
    29. Attend at least one major sporting event (i.e. Super Bowl, Olympics, World Series) <— Does the CrossFit Games count?
    30. Be a member of a TV audience (February 2010)
    31. Visit Ground Zero
    32. Visit Pompei
    33. Swim in the ocean at night
    34. Go skinny dipping
    35. Volunteer at a soup kitchen
    36. Create my own work of art (October 2006)
    37. Sleep under the stars
    38. Go upside-down on a roller coaster (August 2010)
    39. Shake hands with a celebrity
    40. Ride in a hot air balloon
    41. Have dinner at the Top of the Hub (August 2010)
    42. See an active volcano (July 2004)
    43. Try snow-shoeing
    44. Try snowboarding
    45. Own a house
    46. Find a job I love (October 2009)
    47. Grow a vegetable garden
    48. Visit Nantucket
    49. Earn a Master’s degree (December 2005)
    50. See the Mona Lisa in person (May 2006)
    51. Sing karaoke on stage
    52. Learn to knit
    53. See Michael Jackson in concert
    54. See Madonna in concert (September 2012)
    55. Spend a summer on “vacation”
    56. Visit the White House
    57. Have a beer at Oktoberfest in Germany
    58. Sit on the Green Monster at Fenway
    59. Ride a cable car in San Francisco
    60. Fly First Class
    61. See the Full House houses (December 2009)
    62. See a Broadway Show on Broadway
    63. Vote in a Presidential election
    64. Go on a whale watch
    65. Build a house with Habitat for Humanity
    66. Drive across the Golden Gate Bridge
    67. Go to the top of the Space Needle (July 2006)
    68. Go to the top of the Empire State Building
    69. Visit the first Starbucks (July 2006)
    70. Go on a pub crawl
    71. Learn to make sushi
    72. Stay awake for 24 hours in a row
    73. Go on a cruise (April 2012)
    74. See the Hollywood sign (January 2007)
    75. See Mount Rushmore
    76. Visit Graceland
    77. Experience a Key West sunset
    78. Visit at least 3 different continents
    79. Stomp grapes in a vineyard
    80. Ride the Swan Boats in the Boston Public Gardens
    81. Meet Ellen DeGeneres/attend her show
    82. “Fran” prescribed

As you can see, I’ve crossed-off a number of items that I have accomplished since the Fall of 2002. I started adding the month and year that I completed some of these things, but others I just crossed-off. Every few months, I add new things to the list. Meeting Ellen DeGeneres is my newest goal! ;-)

Anyway, the whole point of telling you guys all of this is that I am hopefully going to cross #5 off my list. (Feel free to scroll up and check what it is! ;-) )

Yep, that’s right! God willing, I AM GOING TO RUN A MARATHON!!!!! :mrgreen:

Ok, so you’re probably thinking that I am absolutely crazy. Well, I am. You know this! ;-) But, running a marathon is one of the top life goals.

As you know, I’ve had bursitis in my left hip for over a year now. (You can read the whole story here.) In recent months, my hip has gotten better. I can run 3-5 miles without pain. However, when I get past 5 miles, I pay for it the next day. :-? Bursitis is the worst injury. It gets in deep and it takes forever to heal. Of course, running a marathon has been out of the question… until now!

Recently, I’ve been in touch with an integrative health center, called OMBE, here in Boston. For the past few weeks, OMBE’s founder, Jessica Molleur, and I have chatted quite a bit about my hip injury and long-term goal of running a marathon.

After discussing my sitation with her team at OMBE, Jessica has offered to help me chose an integrated treatment plan for my hip. OMBE offers a number of services from acupuncture to massage to naturopathy to yoga and pilates. Basically, I’m going to work with the team at OMBE to get myself in marathon shape!

My initial session is a complimentary evaluation, where the OMBE team will check me out and decide what is the best plan of attack for me. Then, keeping in mind all of their different services, the team will work together to form an integrated treatment plan. Pretty cool, right? It makes me think that physical therapy isn’t the only way to deal with an injury.

Of course, I’ll be blogging about my entire experience for the duration of my recovery. I figured you guys would like to learn more about an integrated approach to injuries, especially the runners. I know there’s a lot of you who are also plagued with reoccurring injuries. I feel you pain– literally!

My first appointment with OMBE is on Thursday, so stayed tuned for this journey! It’s no doubt going to be interesting!

What’s on your Life’s To Do List?

Erica April 26, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I had a Tina filled baking weekend :) I made a version of your carob pumpkin muffins and my version of your Tina bars! Where would I be without your baking recipes ;) Hmm live in a city besides Boston?? Charleston is still calling your name! The alternative treatment sounds great- totally keep us up to date. A big announcement???

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) April 26, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I’m so HAPPY for you!!!!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) April 26, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I’m so HAPPY for you Tina!

Meghann April 26, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I love your list! As I was reading it I was mentally check off what I’ve accomplished on your list. :) Maybe I should write my own!

Kudos to pledging to run a marathon! I know you can do it! let me know if you need any help along the way, trust me it’s not as hard as it looks. :P

Midgetkeeper April 26, 2010 at 1:16 pm

What a great list Tina, and I know you’ll be able to run that marathon, how exciting!!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit April 26, 2010 at 1:18 pm

That’s so exciting! I enjoyed reading your list. One of my life goals is to run a marathon, too. Good for you for setting your mind to things and accomplishing them!

Christina MINDFUL LIVING April 26, 2010 at 1:38 pm

tina I think that is absolutely amazing!!!!! congrats!!! you will do great!

Tina April 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm

@Kath: Maybe you missed the part about me creating this list in 2002? I didn’t even know what a blog was back then! Running a marathon has been a goal of mine for a long time and it has nothing to do with what other bloggers are doing. Of course, if the team at OMBE advises me NOT to run a marathon, I will listen to them. But, right now, it sounds like a very possible goal.

Helen April 26, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Wow I am so inspired to create a to do list now. My best friend has just asked me to run the London Marathon and I really don’t know what to say. Shall I do it or not???

Jen April 26, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I really hope your therapy works out and you get to achieve your dream of running a marathon! Marathons are fun. :o)

Jay April 26, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I agree with you Kath. If the body is telling you to STOP, it’s amazing what idiocy bloggers adhere to to prove a “life goal.”

adrienmelaine April 26, 2010 at 3:06 pm

You want to learn to make a chili? A really great one?! I will send you the recipe for a blackbean espresso chili that will change your life, seriously, change your life.

kate April 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I love this! I love lists & goals, so obviously I would. But congrats on your marathon goal! I cant wait to read along as you get to your goal! I grew up in Mass too and Ive always wanted to go to Nantucket & Marthas Vineyard.

Misty April 26, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I love your list. I am inspired to create one myself…in fact I started it during my lunch break. Hope your training goes well! Thanks for the inspiration:)

mkg April 26, 2010 at 3:31 pm

i’m feeling how you did in Fall of 02′ THANKS for the inspiration :D

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life April 26, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Congratulations on the upcoming marathon! That’s so exciting! I’m so inspired by your Life To-Do List, that I think I just may have to sit down tonight and start one of my own! I have a bunch of ideas floating in my head, but never took the time to write them down. To pick one, I’d say one thing on my list would be to go sky diving! :-o

krk436 April 26, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Tina, I think your list is awesome~ and inspiration. Please don’t listen to negative comments about you life goals and dreams- YOU are the maker of you life and your life journey. Listen to your heart<3
    I feel like I am missing out for have never started a list. granted i'm only 25 but I wish I would of written down all my "oh I have to go there, must do that, in my life time…yada yada yada."
    But its never too late:)

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle April 26, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Great list!! And congrats on deciding to check another thing off of the list! I want to start a list like this… things that would be on it would include living in another country (or at least an extended stay) and learning to scuba dive.

Christie April 26, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I am so inspired by reading this list. I usually do things one year at a time like this year I want to do x, y, and z but I love the idea of a big list. Things like this are the reasons I read food/healthy living blogs! I really love your attitude about never sitting on the sidelines and wishing/hoping for things. You really seem to get out there and at least TRY for your goals. I have really been trying to do the same thing lately and it’s been working. I think that attitude has to be at least 50% of things. Thanks for the inspiration, Tina!

Jaimers April 26, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Congratulations on your life list and on your decision to train for a marathon – that is very exciting! You have such a positive attitude.
    I wrote my life list a few months ago and still am adding to it: http://jaimers.com/life-list/. I don’t think I’ll ever stop adding things! It’s so fun to cross things off your life list, WAY more fun than your daily to-do list for sure. Best of luck with your training, I’m looking forward to reading about it.

Paige April 26, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I hope this new way of treating bursitis works for you! I sooooo need to make a life goal list.

Lacey @ Lake Life April 26, 2010 at 6:51 pm

That is an amazing list! I’m inspired to make my own now. As for now my #1 goal is to pay off my credit card debt. It’s not huge, but it is one of the stressors I think about when I fall asleep at night.

Good luck with the marathon, it sounds like you have a great plan!

Brittany April 26, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Congrats on working toward your goal to run a marathon!! I can’t wait to read about the journey.

I love your life list!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 26, 2010 at 8:00 pm

That’s an awesome list. I’m excited you are going to run a marathon, what a great challenge. I love the idea of a list and actually doing it.

Melissa April 26, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Tina I am just SO excited to read about your training. You’re amazing for sharing your life with us, through the blog and soon your book (which I cannot wait to buy!). Congrats on your decision to run!! Would Mal ever consider running with you?!

Tina April 26, 2010 at 9:29 pm

@Melissa: I just asked him and he’s more a ‘no’ than a ‘yes,’ but it doesn’t seem out of the question!

Abby D April 26, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Awesome news Tina! I just had to share my similar injuries and a successful treatment. I had a bursitis in my right hip and consequently developed IT syndrome in my left knee. I went to PT and she recommended a thing called a “theracane”. I know, I know it has a weird name (not to mention it looks like some sort of torture device), but I used it on my knee and hip everyday and I can finally run again! It breaks up the scar tissue that can develop and loosens the muscles. Just thought you might want to check it out; it’s given me the chance to run marathon #3 :-)

Beth April 26, 2010 at 10:11 pm

That is so crazy! I have just been contemplating when I’m going to try and run my first marathon. I’ve been training for my first half, which is on May 7th, but I keep thinking about my ultimate goal of running a full marathon!!
    You have inspired me to truly pursue it and do it this year! I’m thinking it will be the end of September or early October.
    I always have a list of things that I want to do in life, but I’ve never taken the time to write them all down. I think I’m going to do that now and enjoy crossing them off of my list!!!

Hannah April 27, 2010 at 1:17 am

Mine is very simple – be content with my life. Oh, and meet Ellen Degeneres, too :P

Good luck with the appointment – I really hope they can work something out for you!

Pam April 27, 2010 at 9:38 am

Tina,

I think you will have to re-do #54! Great list!

xoxo

Olivia April 27, 2010 at 9:59 am

After reading this blog entry I’ve decided to make my own Life’s To Do List! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Also, I just found your blog, and I have a question for you: My family and I are going to visit Boston this summer. Where are some of the best places to eat???

Thanks, and good luck on completing your list! :)

Foxy April 28, 2010 at 3:43 am

As a life-long writer and lover of lists, I am surprised that it has never crossed my mind to write a “Life’s To Do” List. What an awesome idea! Best get to it then :)

Jeanette April 28, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I think that you can count watching “This Is It” as number 53. I just added a bunch of things to my ‘life list’- thanks for the ideas!

Kelly (Foodie Fresh) April 28, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Wow! That’s awesome! I want to run a marathon too. I think I’m going to try to do it before I have my first child, which (God willing) will be in 2ish years. I’m so excited to hear about your training! :)

Anne P April 29, 2010 at 10:28 am

Awesome to do list – a lot of those things are on mine, too! :) Although mine is just in my head ;)

CONGRATS on the marathon!!!! That is so awesome. You are going to rock it!

Katherine April 29, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I love this list… I need to start writing down some of mine.

Can’t wait to read more.
    and to start my list.

Best wishes,
    Katherine

Jen April 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I also have hip bursitis (bi-lateral) and have tried almost everything to deal with it. You’re right it is the worst, and the pain is so deep! I am interested to hear your experience with this integrated treatment. And Abby, I am going to look into theracane. Thanks for sharing that tip.

Aimee May 6, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Just catching up on posts that I couldn’t access after the GoDaddy incident; so I am a little late commenting. LOVE the list, Tina!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Jennifer @ shesafitchick January 10, 2011 at 5:13 pm

You can cross off #44 now! :)

cookie January 1, 2012 at 3:48 am

No luck about #52 anymore :(

lemonade May 5, 2012 at 10:37 am

Omg I’m so amazed of what you’ve achieved till now, I envy you badly :’(
    I wish I can do the things that you do/did. Best of luck, not that you need it :p x.

Sara Rosso September 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Huge fan of Life Lists (I linked to my tech site where I post about Life Lists a few times but haven’t posted my own publicly) – but I live in Italy and I see you have a few items to do in Italy – let me know if you get closer to making those happen, and I can throw some recommendations / help your way! Congrats on crossing so many off!

Megan August 3, 2013 at 11:37 am

I’m from Niagara Falls, and visiting Boston in a week and a half. If you need any recommendations for things to do in the city/where to eat, etc. just let me know!

Mira August 4, 2013 at 3:24 am

psst… you can cross off Hawaii from the list!