• Weird Habits

March 8, 2010

Good morning! :mrgreen:

So, last night, I realized that I have a weird bedtime ritual. Before I get into bed, I need to close all of the closets in the apartment. For some reason, I feel like I can’t sleep soundly if they are open. Weird, right?

This weird-o habit probably goes back to my “monster in the closet” days as a kid. Of course, my husband finds it entertaining to watch me walk around the house and double-check that the closets are closed. What can I say, I’m strange sometimes!

Breakfast

I’m working at NuVal today and taking Friday off, so I woke up bright and early with Mal to put on a pot of oatmeal for breakfast.

IMG_7036.JPG

In the mix:

• 1/2 cup oats
    • 1/4 cup spelt flakes
    • 1/4 cup granola
    • 1/4 cup low-fat ricotta
    • 1/4 cup non-fat milk
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 tbsp chia seeds
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • Cinnamon

Makes 2 servings

IMG_7037.JPG

I also added two packets of Barney Butter to my bowl.

IMG_7038.JPG

This was a really tasty batch of oats! Mmm! :-D

My iced coffee was especially delicious this morning. I brewed a new batch of Caftea Chocolate Truffle coffee last night, and it tastes, oh, so good!

IMG_7041.JPG

I’ve been loving the Caftea coffee so much, the nice folks at OpenSky have hooked you guys up with a sweet deal: buy a 12-ounce bag of Caftea Creme Brulee and get an 8-ounce gourmet coffee blend FREE! You get 20 ounces of coffee for the price of 12! Sounds like a deal to me!

Yoga Challenge

I am such a bum. I don’t know where last week went, but I only managed to practice yoga one time, which is not a good start to the Yoga Challenge. This week, however, I am recommitting myself to the Challenge. I have two yoga sessions planned (including a 60-minute yoga class), so hopefully, a little planning will help re-motivated me.

How’s the Yoga Challenge going for you?

Do you have a weird ritual or habit? What is it?

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 8, 2010 at 10:29 am

i’m completely with you…i like to have all of the internal doors (pantry, closets, cabinets) closed when i go to bed at night! that’s so funny, i never realized that i did it, but i do check all the rooms to make sure they’re closed before hitting the sack :)

Melissa March 8, 2010 at 10:47 am

Where do you buy your Barney Butter?

Jessica March 8, 2010 at 10:57 am

Not weird at all. I’m the same way. My bf always closes all the doors before we sleep now because he knows I can’t sleep if they’re not closed – that would include the door to my room, the closet door and the bathroom (inside my room).

Kait March 8, 2010 at 10:58 am

I have a weird sleeping habit that may go back to my monster under the bed days…I can’t let my feet hang out of the covers at all. Even if I’m burning hot, I’ll still keep a least a little sheet over them!

Ps- I love those straws you use for your iced coffee, where did you get them?

Tina March 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

@Melissa: @Kait: Check my FAQs! ;)

Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run March 8, 2010 at 11:10 am

Ohh I have many weird habits. The one that makes my husband laugh the most is this thing I do with my blanket. I always buy blankets with the ribbon around the edges because I have a strange obsession with running my fingers over the ribbon. My husband catches me doing it every night before we go to bed – I think it’s just b/c it cool and smooth and it relaxes me before bed. My mom tells me I’ve done this since I was a little girl – hence we have tons of “ribbon blankets” around my parent’s house. Very weird.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers March 8, 2010 at 11:10 am

i HAVE to have the closets in my bedroom closed, too! how else will you keep the monsters away???

Ashley C March 8, 2010 at 11:18 am

Apparently this is a pretty common thing because I am like that too, my boyfriend laughs because even when we’ve just laid down I’ll get up to close all the doors. Also have to have some sort of noise either TV or music playing & have to have at least one blanket. I guess I’m not that weird since other people have the same things

Maura March 8, 2010 at 11:19 am

I do that too! I’m glad I’m not the only one :)

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) March 8, 2010 at 11:23 am

I’ve been trying to think if I have a weird ritual or not but I guess I don’t. I’m just anal in general. :)

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) March 8, 2010 at 11:24 am

Well I have a similar one- I have to close all of my drawers in my dresser- I hate when they’re open with my clothes poking out before I go to sleep. Oh, and I usually have to have an empty sink (or at least empty of my OWN dishes) before bed. :)

Kiersten March 8, 2010 at 11:31 am

I have lots of strange habits, most of them related to cleaning. The biggest one is that I CANNOT sleep if there are dishes in my sink or if the kitchen is dirty.

allie March 8, 2010 at 11:31 am

i absolutely cannot sleep with the closet door open. it freaks me out.

@ caitlin, that’s hilariously bizzare.

Alison March 8, 2010 at 11:34 am

I can’t sleep with our bedroom door closed. I also sleep much better if the dishwasher is empty, but I’m sort of a neat freak. I also MUST have covers on at all times, even in the summer.
    I’m glad to know so many of us have these types of quirks.

Mastering Public Health March 8, 2010 at 11:37 am

Cute bowl. I need to shape up with the Yoga challenge. For some reason, I find it hard to start. Wish I had a yoga guru around to teach me some basics!

Carrie @ Love Healthy Living March 8, 2010 at 11:39 am

Closing the closets isn’t that weird, who wants to wake up and look into that scary black space??? :) I sometimes check the doors before bedtime to make sure they’re locked (even though I know they are).

Laura @ GrapeSugar March 8, 2010 at 11:59 am

I have to pull the sheets tight, especially the bottom sheet, I hate sleeping on wrinkles! And I have to have the top sheet and covers even (equal for my husband and I)…kinda drives him crazy, but since he is usually the first in bed, he is used to it now and even lifts his hands up so I can adjust the top covers once I get in bed…what a guy :)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly March 8, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I can not get into a bed that is unmade. So even if I am short on time and don’t make my bed in the morning I have to make it up before I get into for bed. My husband thinks it is the weirdest thing but for some reason gettng into an umade bed makes me feel dirty….

Lynn (The Actors Diet) March 8, 2010 at 12:12 pm

you’re so cute about the closets!!!

Deirdre March 8, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I always make sure my bedroom closet is closed before I go to sleep. I’m also a little OCD about making sure doors are locked and the stove and oven are turned off. They are just little things that I check that put me at ease.

And you’re not weird!

Nicole, RD March 8, 2010 at 12:26 pm

We need our bedroom door shut, it’s weird. And even though I live in a REALLY safe neighborhood (and across the street from a sheriff!) I always close the garage when I’m in back gardening or something. I’m always weirded out thinking someone could’ve slipped into the house, an unlocked car, or hidden in my garage while I was away!!

Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward March 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm

This isn’t really a ritual, but I have to leave my socks on when I get in bed, and then I love taking them off once I’m already in bed and under the covers. Weird, I know!

Maya March 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm

The closet doors in my bedroom need to be closed before I sleep! I can completely relate.

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) March 8, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I like having a really clean kitchen when I go to bed – I don’t know why! Maybe because I like to come down to a fresh, clean kitchen in the morning when I go to make my tea.

When I lived at home, I always had to have closets shut. I think that went back to when I watched Pet Cemetery with my dog in the basement when I was young (I know – how bad is that??) and was freaked out that creatures were hiding everywhere!

K

Robin March 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I am like Joelle, I HATE seeing clothes poking out of our dresser drawers, I can’t sleep if they aren’t closed properly. The other thing I can’t stand is eating in dim lighting. We often eat dinner in bed (lazy and our big TV is in our bedroom) and I insist that we have all the lights on in our room.

When I lived alone I would open every door and look under my couch, bed, behind shower curtain, etc, to make sure I was alone when I got home or before going to bed. That’s a little OCD!

Kelsey (Vivaciously Vegan) March 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I have been following your blog for awhile and I’m loving it!

Before I go to bed I always have to have a snack. I always crave something carby like oatmeal, tortilla’s, or toast. I think its a comfort thing.

Bree@beeskneeslife March 8, 2010 at 3:01 pm

The closet doors in the room I am sleeping in have to be closed, too. No matter where I am. I also double check (sometimes triple!) to make sure all the doors are locked.

I am glad I am not the only one!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) March 8, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I used to close my closet at bedtime too! Where I live now though, I actually have a walk in closet that I need to go through to reach the bathroom, so I don’t bother closing that door anymore.

Hannah March 8, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I have to be really careful with weird rituals like that, because it can edge into bad obsessive compulsive behaviour. I used to ahve to check all the taps, but told myself that it was more important to not get out of control than lose some water overnight…. But I’m glad yours isn’t scaryish like that!

Sophia March 8, 2010 at 3:50 pm

The thought of leaving a drawer or cupboard door open is too weird. No matter what time of day, I always have them shut. And if I had lit a candle earlier, I’ll lie in bed and wonder if I remembered to blow it out. Candles are dangerous if you do forget about them, so I typically use flameless ones now. One less thing to worry about!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 8, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I like the idea of oats in a mug with a nice handle.

sue March 8, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Oh, yeah, I’m with you on closing the closet doors. I think it’s to keep the boogey man in the closet!

Cassie March 8, 2010 at 7:06 pm

i always do the closet thing in my bedroom too. i guess i’ve woken up too many times when the door’s been open and thought my robes and clothes were people! i can be such a baby sometimes!

Mary March 8, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I think you checking the closets is pretty cute actually… Makin sure there are no monsters ! hehe I always think I forgot to shut the garage door when I leave the house… My husband can attest to the fact that I have gotten to the drive way of our complex many a time and turned back just to make sure it was shut. My defense is that I’ve got my beloved Trek is in there and would be heart broken if it was stolen… I will also add that on Halloween night we forgot to shut the garage & my bike, car, tools & TWO cases of beer were all where I left them in the morning. ;P I guess I’m paranoid.

shelly March 8, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I have to make my lunch, set the coffee maker, repack my gym bag and put out my clothes for the next day as soon as I come home from work… even before I make dinner or I feel stressed out.

Ashley @ grindz March 9, 2010 at 3:43 am

I have to drink a full glass of water before bed or else I can’t sleep! For some reason the thought of going 6+ hours without water makes me feel so parched.

MichellePC March 9, 2010 at 9:33 am

I also can’t sleep with the closet doors open! Thankfully, my apartment is small enough that it doesn’t take long to shut them all – it stresses me out if I can see all the junk inside my closets right before I got to bed.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) March 9, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I am the same way with opening and shutting closets! UGH! I can’t sleep without closing them.

S March 11, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Whenever I travel, I have to tuck in downy sheets under the hotel bedsheets, how weird is that?