• I Don’t Sing

March 25, 2010

Good morning, bloggies!!! :mrgreen: I am in SUCH a good mood this morning! It must all of those feel-good endorphins from my early-morning workout! 😉

So, something weird happened this morning. When I took Murphy out to do his business, I actually found myself singing while I walked along. Guys, I don’t sing. You know those people who just sing all of the time? Like the people on American Idol? They just break into song whenever the mood arises? Well, I am sooo not one of those people. I actually have a terrible singing voice and pretty much only sing along to the radio when I am totally alone in the car. So, when I realized that I was singing out loud while walking around the neighborhood, it really surprised me. I guess I’m really feeling good today! :mrgreen: Oh, how things have changed since last year… or even just 6 months ago. As cheesy as it sounds, I feel like I am finally living!

Before heading to Body Pump with Marie this morning, I snacked on a Sunny Hemp granola bar, which was so yummy. This bar is my favorite of the ones that Nature’s Pride sent me to sample. I also chugged a big bottle of water. Not surprisingly, I was feeling a tad parched after drinking that huge-ass beer last night. 😳

Body Pump was pretty good this morning. We had a substitute instructor, which was sort of a bummer because I really look forward to the Thursday morning class with “Vicky,” who is really motivating and sort of funny. Plus, she whizzes right through class and doesn’t spend a lot of time talking. We’re usually done in 45 minutes or less! I’m barely awake at that hour, so the class really flies by. Before I know it, it’s over!

I felt like my normal self with lifting today. I challenged myself, but I didn’t feel like I was going to die like I did on Tuesday night. I actually felt like I needed to increase my weight on the biceps track. Maybe next class?

When I got home, Mal was in the middle of eating his breakfast, so I snagged a few slices of apple from him. He’s so nice to share! 😉

I wasn’t starving for breakfast, so I decided to do some baking, which is truly one of my favorite pastimes. I find it relaxing and it allows me to get creative in the kitchen. And, of course, there is usually a scrumptious treat to enjoy afterward. 😉

While I baked, I drank an iced coffee with vanilla soy milk.

This morning’s baking experiment: Blueberry Coconut Bars!!!

I’ve been wanting to try coconut flour in my baking, so I gave it a whirl this morning.

Blueberry Coconut Bars

Makes 12

• 1/2 cup coconut flour
    • 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
    • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
    • 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    • 1/2 cup canola oil
    • 1/2 vanilla soy milk

• Preheat oven to 350*F
    • Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl
    • Coat 8 x 8 baking pan with non-stick spray and pour in batter; smooth with spatula
    • Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked through
    • Although to cool before cutting
    • Enjoy!

The result was a wonderful blueberry-flavored baked good with hints of sweet coconut. It reminded me of a blueberry cake– moist, smooth, and very soft. I ended up eating a whole row of these babies! Holy yum!

OpenSky Deals

Lots of great deals this week!

What do you wish you had more time for in your life?

Jen March 25, 2010 at 11:10 am

Congratulations on feeling awesome today!! I just love days like that – i definitely DO NOT sing either! Those bars look amazing – I hope they taste as good as they look. Have an awesome rest of your day.

Scorpio Woman March 25, 2010 at 11:18 am

I wish I had more time to read. Your blueberry bars look yummy. I’ll see if I can find coconut flour.

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) March 25, 2010 at 11:20 am

Your blueberry coconut bars look downright heavenly. Singing out loud and baking merrily are definitely two signs of a serotonin blast. Glad to hear you’ve been having a wonderful day!

kate March 25, 2010 at 11:22 am

So glad you are enjoying life! Theres nothing like randomly bursting out into song :)

Angie March 25, 2010 at 11:31 am

I wish I had more time to spend with my dog, Vlad, and to read all of the wonderful books that are out there!

Becky @ flybynyght March 25, 2010 at 11:34 am

Blogging of course! And reading – it really soothes my soul :)

eatdrinkandbemerrynyc March 25, 2010 at 11:44 am

those bars look amazing! you’re inspiring me to bake….

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 25, 2010 at 11:51 am

lol– when I run on my treadmill at home, I sing SO loudly…I’m sure my neighbors (and my husband) just love it, but I don’t care– it puts the biggest smile on my face!

Midgetkeeper March 25, 2010 at 12:05 pm

The bars look delish!

Surprisingly I am feeling really balanced right now as far as time.

molly March 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm

consider this recipe bookmarked! looks great :)

Susan (All Things In Moderation) March 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I wish I had more down time. To just watch TV, read, and relax. Most of my time is budgeted. I feel like I am always watching the clock …… I would love to have more freedom to do it all and still have downtime!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] March 25, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Glad to hear you’re in a good mood today! =D For some of us newer readers, what is so different in your life from 6 mo. ago?

Tina March 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm

@Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]: I worked full-time, blogged, and wrote for Health all at the same time. My life was insanely stressful.

Sam (My Sugar Obsession) March 25, 2010 at 12:18 pm

i wish i had more time for EVERYTHING. trying to find a balance is so HARD.

esperanza March 25, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I love to sing it makes me feel alive too. This totally just made me smile :)
    Thanks for sharing.

Lynn (The Actors Diet) March 25, 2010 at 12:36 pm

how wonderful to break out in song! i grew up singing (my mom’s an opera singer) and it’s a wonderful outlet. in fact, i don’t do it enough.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 25, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I wish I had more time for reading for please (not for school, work, research, etc) I’ve returned 4 library books this month unread :(

Paige March 25, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I wish I had more time to be outside in the sunshine…

Kait March 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I think its great that you just found yourself singing because you truly felt great, thats awesome! And I totally agree on the baking front, it just relaxes me and clears my head and of course those bars look tasty!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 25, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I like the idea of the coconut flour. I think I’ll try making something with it, like these bars. :)

Kristilyn (Singer-Songwriter) March 25, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Since you mention it, the thing I wish I had more time for is SINGING! I’m a musician and I work a full-time job, as well, so I find that I’m too tired to go to open stages or concerts and my time spent recording (I have 4 CDs out) is usually in the evenings and on weekends, WHEN we’re not busy doing other things. I really wish I could do it full-time and spend my days creating, but we don’t own a money tree, either, so until my husband and I win the lottery, I’ll just dream. :-)

Love those coconut bars!

Emily W March 25, 2010 at 6:33 pm

As a music teacher, I absolutely sing all the time, too… in the hallways, in my classroom, in the shower, in my car, while I’m cooking. I’m glad you’re singing today; I tell all my kids, EVERYONE CAN SING! As long as you can speak. :)

Tiffany March 25, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for the recipe and the video on how to use the Twist. My dog loved it and licked the screen when it came on so safe to say, you have a new fan!

I wish I had more time for socializing and getting involved with my community. By the time I get home from work some night’s it’s almost 630P, I had a dog with a little bladder to take out, dinner to make, stuff to do then go to bed and do it all over again.

teens eat March 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I wish I had more time for sleep! My twin sis and I go to school 5 days a week, and work 8-9 hour shifts every weekend, then there is still HW, and house chores. Usually we get up at 5AM 7 days a week. Then, you don’t get a rest day for about 4-5 weeks. It is rough! By the way the blueberry oat bars look perfect for Breakfast, like a healthy blueberry muffin.

Helen March 26, 2010 at 8:52 am

I just wish I had more time for life in general!! My days seem to follow the same pattern – get up, go to work, cook, watch tv, sleep! I really need to fit more into my days but it’s finding the hours and the energy!

Kacie @ Nonexistent Colors March 26, 2010 at 11:47 am

I wish I had more time to HAVE a life! School consumes so much of my time :( However after graduation, watch out world…

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) April 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I think we are singing sisters because I feel the exact same way! :-)