• Sandwich and a Show

February 20, 2010

Good morning! 8-)

Sorry that I didn’t blog last night. Mal and I went to see the Hasty Pudding show over at Harvard, so by the time we got home, I was exhausted and basically did a face-plant right into bed.

Dinner

Mal was on a roll yesterday! :-D

For dinner, he made the most amazing Cheesy French Toast sandwiches with tons of melty brie inside. I added a shake of cinnamon and nutmeg to my sandwich, which reminded me of a fondue that I tried at the Melting Pot in Washington, DC back in April 2008. Holy yum!

IMG_5794.JPG

On the side, I had some carrot and celery sticks.

IMG_5797.JPG

After dinner, it was time to head to Cambridge for the Hasty Pudding show.

The “Pudding Show” is a yearly tradition for Mal’s family, so I’ve attended the show every year for the past 6 or 7 years now and it’s always a fun time. Mal and I were supposed to go to the show last weekend, but we got held up at home, so I’m glad that things worked out and we were able to see this year’s performance.

IMG_5798.JPG

Each year, the Hasty Pudding Theatricals select a Man and Woman of the Year. These awards are presented to performers who have made a “lasting and impressive contribution to the world of entertainment.” This year the Man of the Year was Justin Timberlake and the Woman of the Year was Anne Hathaway.

Last year, I got to see the Man of the Year (James Franco) and Woman of the Year (Renee Zellweger) right outside my office window. Seeing celebrities at work is definitely something that I miss about working at Harvard. Imagine seeing JT right outside your window!? I probably would have freaked out!

IMG_5800.JPG

Last night’s Hasty Pudding performance was called “Commie Dearest.” Here’s a synopsis:

It’s the 1950s, and the residents of a typical American suburb are all vying to win the American Dream, a bowling trophy. But the arrival of star ball-loving ballplayer Doug Out and sexy-but-fishy starlet Marlin Monroe to award the prize brings everyone’s secrets to the surface. And when Bobbie Sox, a local Pink Lady-turned-Pinko Lady, unwittingly brings a communist mastermind to town, the stakes rise even higher as everyone’s way of life is threatened by the evil Communist space potato Spud Nick and his Russian mail-order bride sidekick. Their Cold War threatens to give a whole new meaning to climate change.

Who will win the American Dream? Will local illegal space alien immigrant, Ross Well, finally get his green card? Will cuban diner owner Desi Speakenglish say something in an accent that other people can understand? Will local dancing rebel, Wes Sidestory, find a cause? Will General Dwight Supremacy stop hanging “Dwights Only” signs on everything?

IMG_5801.JPG

As usual, the show was hysterical. Mal and I both have a really dorky sense of humor, so we loved all of the puns and witty humor. And, of course, I loved the costumes, singing, dancing, and men dressed in drag! ;-)

P.S. JT and Anne Hathaway were not at this performance, but they do visit Cambridge when they receive their awards. Ashley Judd, however, attended the Hasty Pudding show last night! She actually walked right by me in the bathroom! She’s very pretty in person.

Estela @ Weekly Bite February 20, 2010 at 7:32 am

I would love to go to a Hasty Pudding show!

Brie makes such a great grilled cheese!!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 20, 2010 at 7:33 am

What a fun night! I love comedy shows like that!

And that sandwich sounds nothing short of amazing– your man can cook!!

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers February 20, 2010 at 7:36 am

that french toast grilled cheese sounds great! i might hijack that recipe for breakfast this morning. yummyyyy.

Hannah February 20, 2010 at 7:37 am

Cinnamon and nutmeg on the sandwich?! Inspired! I add those spices to Indian dishes, but would never think to add them to grilled cheese!

Can’t help wishing you had seen JT… wouldn’t have minded the photos here :P

Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward February 20, 2010 at 7:49 am

Spud Nick, Doug Out? Hilarious! I love shows like that (and puns, clearly). Glad you had a fun night.

How’s the new place?

Freya @ foodfitnessandfreya.wordpress.com February 20, 2010 at 7:50 am

I agree with Hannah above – I’d never thought to add cinnamon to a sandwich! I add it to absolutely everything else, I wonder why doing that slipped my mind!?
    Goodness me, if JT strolled passed my window…crikey, my day would NOT be productive after that! He is a thing of beauty :)

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) February 20, 2010 at 8:00 am

Love the idea of adding cinnamon and nutmeg! I feel as if I add it to everything, so why not my grilled cheese too? :D

Glad you guys had a fun night out! :D

christie @ honoring health February 20, 2010 at 8:07 am

That sandwich looks killer!

Glad you enjoyed the show, it sounds really fun!

Madeline @ Greens and Jeans February 20, 2010 at 8:14 am

Now I have a MAJOR grilled cheese craving! I went to the Hasty Pudding show a couple of times when I was living out there and I always enjoyed it! Glad you guys had such a fun evening!

John February 20, 2010 at 8:29 am

Sorry I’m going to imagine Anne outside my window if you don’t mind :-)

Sarah @ Daily Nibbles February 20, 2010 at 8:33 am

That sandwich looks amazing. I also keep thinking how yummy Mal’s donuts looked earlier. I’ll have to try those out sometime.

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) February 20, 2010 at 8:48 am

Wait, so JT and Anne were there?

Lauren @ eater not a runner February 20, 2010 at 9:12 am

That sounds like so much fun!

Tiffany February 20, 2010 at 9:14 am

How fun—I have read about that before and can only imagine what being there in person must be like!

And can Mal make me that sandwich and send it to me?? Looks amazing!!!

Leena February 20, 2010 at 9:15 am

yum… that sandwich sounds so good! brie cheese is delicious on grilled cheese! i love your addition of the spices too!
    the show sounds like a lot of fun! i would’ve totally flipped if i saw JT too!!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 20, 2010 at 9:16 am

That grilled cheese sounds amazing!!

And how cool that you saw Ashley Judd in the bathroom… I saw that on twitter ha!

Tasha February 20, 2010 at 9:26 am

Brushes with celebrities! Way cool.

That sandwich does look awesome. I’ve never thought of putting cinnamon and nutmeg on a grilled cheese, but maybe I’ll try that next time.

Sam (Merit to the Carrot) February 20, 2010 at 9:35 am

The pudding show sounds so entertaining! Glad you enjoyed your evening :)

Kelly February 20, 2010 at 9:37 am

That sounds like an awesome show and a great night. I hope all that laughing helped to relieve some stress :)

diana(mymarblerye) February 20, 2010 at 9:41 am

It’s neat that you worked at harvard and got to see all that. People all over the world know of harvard! And celebrities at work? HELLZ YEA.

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

you get a lot of celebrity sightings, lucky girl ;) i’m loving the sound of that sandwich…i’ve just recently fallen in love with brie (how did i wait 26 years for this?!?!) and i’d love to have a hot melty sandwich made of it!

Kati @ Living Well February 20, 2010 at 9:57 am

Fun show! I would love to meet JT ;> That’s so much cooler than just going to a movie!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ February 20, 2010 at 10:02 am

That cheesy sandwich looks delicious and the veggies look fresh and tasty too.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 20, 2010 at 10:03 am

Can Mal come and cook for me!?! You lucky girl! :) Glad you guys had a fun time last night!

Alyson February 20, 2010 at 10:09 am

How fun! And that sandwich does look delicious :)

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle February 20, 2010 at 10:10 am

MMM that sandwich looks yummy!!!

Mara @ What's for Dinner? February 20, 2010 at 10:38 am

You mean you get tired and dont’ blog sometimes?? You mean you’re not superblogger and can do this in your sleep??? ;)
    Looks like you had a blast last night!!

Becky February 20, 2010 at 11:03 am

Live theater is the best! It’s especially fun when it’s comedy. My boyfriend says when we go to shows, my hysterics are funnier than the show itself – LOL. Glad you and the fam had a great night!

Annie@stronghealthyfit February 20, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Your baked oatmeal looks so good, I might try it this week! I think my husband would like it too- he doesn’t like to eat oatmeal everyday like I do but I think I could convince him to try this :-)

Ellen February 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I LOVE grilled cheese…and Ashley Judd! She is soooo smart and beautiful!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) February 20, 2010 at 5:06 pm

go mal with another lovely meal!

Carolyn February 20, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Sounds like a great night out. I would have met Ashley Judd. I think she’s awesome!

Maria February 20, 2010 at 10:49 pm

THAT grilled cheese. Oh my word. Heaven.

Very awesome you had a brush with Ashley Judd. She is one of those woman who is naturally beautiful and seems to age very well!!

Tara February 21, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Grilled cheese and ashley judd. sounds like an awesome day!!