This morning’s Polenta Breakfast Pizza was DE-LIC-IOUS!
It was inspired by Real Simple’s Deep-Dish Polenta Pizza recipe, which was a huge hit. The recipe seemed so versatile, I figured it could easily be adapted for breakfast.
Polenta Breakfast Pizza
- 1 cup polenta (not instant)
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 – 5 frozen sausage links
- Salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Oil a 9-inch springform pan or pie plate; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2¼ cups water to a boil. Whisking constantly, slowly add the polenta. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, until the polenta starts to pull away from the side of the pan, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Using a spoon, spread the polenta over the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan.
- Cook frozen sausage as directed and slice it into bite-size pieces.
- Add olive oil to fry pan. Add mushrooms and onions; sautÃ© until soft.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mushrooms, onions, sausage, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper; whisk together. Spoon the mixture over the polenta and bake until the top begins to brown, approximately 45 minutes.
I loved this meal! I can’t wait to eat the leftovers for breakfast tomorrow morning.
Not surprisingly, I went back for another small piece. It was so good!
Before breakfast, Mal and I woke up bright and early to go to Body Pump. (He’s hooked!) This morning’s class was a bunch of old-school tracks, which were really fun, especially the “Can’t Touch This” shoulder track. The different routines and exercises pushed me to work hard and kept my body guessing. Love that!
After Body Pump, I refueled with a protein-coffee drink that I made with chocolate whey protein, iced coffee, and soy milk. It sort of tasted like a chocolate milkshake. Mmm!
The rest of my afternoon looks like it’ll be pretty low-key. I might do some baking and then we’re heading over to our friends’ house for puppy playtime.
I can’t believe it’s already Sunday afternoon. Where did this weekend go!?!?!