• Beantown Tourists

February 14, 2010

I felt like a tourist in my own city! Mal, Beth, Corey, and I went exploring all over Boston this afternoon. It was pretty cool being both a tour guide and a tourist today!

Our travels started at my alma mater Boston College.

DSC_0018.JPG

BC has such a beautiful campus! I forgot how pretty it was.

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

It was fun to visit my old stomping grounds, too.

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

Then, we headed over to Coolidge Corner, which is one of my favorite areas of the city. If I could pick any part of Boston to live, it would either be the South End or Coolidge Corner. They’re both such adorable areas.

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

We wanted to grab a bite to eat at Zaftigs, but the wait for a table was an hour!

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

Instead, we popped over to Rami’s across the street.

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

Rami’s was a great choice!

Mal and I shared the most amazing Houmos Falafel in a pita. I especially loved the pita, which was thick, doughy, and fresh. So good!

DSC_0033.JPG

After Rami’s, we popped into Dunkin’ Donuts for a sweet treat.

DSC_0038.JPG

Corey and Beth were psyched to have some D&D in their lives!

DSC_0040.JPG

I enjoyed a delicious chocolate glazed Munchkin and shared an iced coffee with my hubby.

DSC_0042.JPG

And, then we visited the Skywalk Observatory in the Prudential Tower.

DSC_0045.JPG

The views of the city were amazing! I’ve lived in Boston for many years now, but never visited the Skywalk. I’m so glad that I finally did today! It was so cool!

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

We’re off to an early dinner at one of my favorite restaurants!

Freya @ foodfitnessandfreya.wordpress.com February 14, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Oooh those are some amazing views!
    Love pitta bread, I really should eat it more often – it’s one of those things I always just forget about, then have it and am like ‘why don’t I eat this more!?’
    Have a great day :)

Jenn February 14, 2010 at 4:39 pm

hey tina, i thought you went to union?

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 14, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Those are amazing views!!!

steph February 14, 2010 at 4:39 pm

wow gorgeous pictures! anytime you want to take me on a tour through the city, be my guest :) haha have a great valentines day!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 14, 2010 at 4:40 pm

This reminds me of my travels to Boston in August for HLS!! I would love to live in Bahston at some point in my life–such a beautiful city.

Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful February 14, 2010 at 4:44 pm

You and Mal are seriously the cutest couple ever! It looks freezing in Boston!

Jo @ SeekingHealthyBalance February 14, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I love being a tourist in my own city. You get to do all the things you don’t find time to do normally :)

Julie February 14, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Hey, my senior prom was at the skywalk. awwww :)

Jessica @ WHY DONTCHA RUN February 14, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Thanks for sharing the views of Boston! I have never been and am amazed at the beautiful buildings. :o) You’re such a great tour guide for your friends AND blog readers. THANKS!!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) February 14, 2010 at 4:53 pm

chocolate munchkins are one of life’s truly great inventions. glad you had a wonderful time in your own city – i love when people visit l.a. because there’s so much i still haven’t discovered.

Ameena February 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm

What beautiful views…when I am in Boston next I am going to check out the Skywalk Observatory. Just stunning!

*Andrea* February 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Love my school :) don’t wanna graduate this may :(

lovely day!!! so perfectly boston

Kendel February 14, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Beautiful photos! I’m glad you’re having such a good time in Boston. I’ve never visited but certainly will one day!

christie @ honoring health February 14, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Gorgeous photos of Boston. I have never been there and really want to visit someday soon.

Radha February 14, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Such Fun! You and hubby are a nice looking couple. Merci!

candice February 14, 2010 at 5:16 pm

OMG, the skies are so beautiful up there!!! The architecture is quite lovely too. There are few greater carby pleasures than warm pita bread. Mmmm. ;)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ February 14, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Nice photos of Boston. I love falafel and just found a recipe to make a baked falafel patty that I’m going to test this week.

Jenn @ Livewellfit February 14, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Oh Zaftigs, how I do love thee. Too bad you always have such LOONNNGGGG lines on the weekends. :)

Beautiful views from the Pru. We love it up there and visit often. Enjoy a fun evening!!

Karla February 14, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Boston is so beautiful! You’re lucky to call it home!
    Beautiful photos! I love the city shots (city planning geek here!)

Morgan February 14, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I love Rami’s, it’s so good! Plus the guys that work there are so nice!
    Happy Valentine’s Day!

Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure February 14, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Wow those are some great views! You sure do live in an awesome part of the country! It’s so different where I live (Memphis, TN), so much less city! Haha!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama February 14, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day!! The college is absolutely breath taking!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) February 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Sometimes it’s fun to play tourist at home. You can forget how amazing your own backyard is!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm

what a great day…i’ve never been to Boston and now I definitely need to go! have fun at dinner :)

Sam (Merit to the Carrot) February 14, 2010 at 5:50 pm

That pita looks SO SO good. Boston looks beautiful! I’ve never been there.

Cynthia (It All Changes) February 14, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Those pictures of Boston look like postcards.

The Brunette February 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm

So fun doing stuff like this is your own city! Who says tourists should get to have all the cheesy fun, right?

Hannah February 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Wow, those skyscraper views look almost unreal! The lighting in all these photos is so surreal, and gives such a different “feel” to Boston. Lovely!

P.S. I love that Dunkin Donuts calls those things “munchkins”. Hello, wizard of oz!

Nicole (dishin') February 14, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Sounds like fun! Those views of Boston almost look fake. Boston is beautiful..so glad I live here!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers February 14, 2010 at 7:02 pm

What an absolute beautiful campus! I reallllly want to visit Boston one day, it seems like such a cool place. I love that you’re able to explore your own town too :)

John February 14, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Nice pics. I was in Boston for one day and didn’t see a whole lot. Bull&Finch(Cheers?),Fenway from the outside :-( and Boston Gardens. We were young. Wish I had made better use of my time.

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) February 14, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I grew up in southern NH and have been to Boston countless times…and I never get sick of “touring” the city!! I could walk the Freedom Trail every summer and not get bored with it. I love the Duck Tours too! :-)

Becky February 14, 2010 at 7:53 pm

It’s so fun to explore the hidden gems in your own backyard. I’m so close to Boston – I may have to ride up and take a tour myself!

GurlOnA"Diet" February 14, 2010 at 8:27 pm

yum sometimes u just gotta splurge! munchkins are great- automatic portion control! (unless u eat all 25 from the box…teehee…)

Megan February 14, 2010 at 8:29 pm

What a beautiful school!

Jessie February 14, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Boston College looks like something out of Harry Potter! Gorgeous school :)

I never knew that houmos was the right way to spell hummus. More phonetically correct, I suppose?

Emily Eats and Exercises February 14, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Oooh I LOVE Rami’s! And yes, Coolidge Corner is where I would really like to live, but I don’t think I could find anything affordable. My boyfriend and I often go the the Coolidge cinema and then to Zaftig’s. But you missed my favorite Coolidge Corner spot – JP Licks!

Kt F @ Through the Finish February 14, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I’ve been dying to go to Boston for awhile now! Hopefully I can make it there one of these days… I’m contemplating a road trip this summer with my girlfriends!

Scorpio Woman February 14, 2010 at 9:06 pm

These photos are beautiful :) I liked to see the city of Boston through your photos. I would really like to visit one day.

kristin p. February 14, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Wow! Great view. the river looks iced over! and BC is beautiful!

Annie February 14, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Good Boston spots! I love Coolidge Corner too- the movie theater is great.

Amy February 14, 2010 at 11:21 pm

AHHH! Your post just made me so happy :) I moved to San Francisco from Boston about a month ago and recently I’ve been pretty Boston-sick…so it was nice to get some pictures from home! Love Zaftigs, love Publick House, love Rami’s! It made me wicked miss DD though…all we have out here is Starbucks + Peet’s…and of course, Blue Bottle :D. THANKS!!

Leah February 14, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I went to Zaftig’s today! Luckily my friend from out of town was staying in Coolidge corner so she put our name in early – the wait was ridiculous! But I’m sure Rami’s was just as great – they have the best falafel in Boston.

And GO BC! I can’t believe my 5 year reunion is already next year – good times in BC Admissions! ;)

Sue February 14, 2010 at 11:43 pm

I lived in Framingham for 6 years during the late 80s/early 90s. My favorite things to do with out of town guests was to go to the top of the Pru and to take one of the trolley tours. Both are great ways to see a whole lot in a little amount of time.

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) February 14, 2010 at 11:44 pm

doing the tourist thing when you have visitors is a lot of fun!

KathyR (Older/Better) February 15, 2010 at 9:35 am

I live in the land of no Dunkin’ Donuts. But I’ve visited Boston and was told that DD is such a THING there.

Great shots from the tower.

Beverly P February 15, 2010 at 9:38 am

I love when you share things about Boston. I visited there fairly regularly when my cousin lived there (technically Gloucester but close enough to jump the train to Boston) but he’s since moved. I miss that place! There was always something to see! I come from a city of 150K people so Boston is truly “big town” for me! LOL There’s a small part of me that yearns to live in a big city, but then something about being “home” makes me realize how great it is here too! So I’ll live vivaciously through your blog about living in Boston! Thanks!

Lele February 15, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I used to walk by the Pru on an almost daily basis and had NO IDEA that skywalk existed! And I also love Coolidge :D As a fellow carb lover, I’m pretty sure you know how amazing When Pigs Fly is, but I highly recommend them for a Cookie Friday. Or a cookie any day!

Cassie February 15, 2010 at 3:39 pm

boston college – loving the jesuit pride! i went to st joes in philly, and we had the same style architecture also. it’s so beautiful! i love going back to campus and visiting.

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) February 15, 2010 at 3:43 pm

What an eventful day! Too bad you couldn’t have lunch at your first choice of restaurants, but that pita does look delicious. :-)

K