• Working Against Gravity

January 30, 2010

I LOVE Saturdays! Just saying. ;-)

So, my Plan B worked out well this morning. :-D I didn’t make it to Body Pump on Thursday night, so I signed up for a Gravity class at Healthworks this morning. However, when I woke up, I wasn’t totally jazzed to venture outside into the freezing cold, get on a bus, and go to the gym, but I signed up for the class and didn’t want to blow it off. Just the act of committing to the class helped me get my butt to the gym.

Workout

For those of you who are long-time readers of CNC (or Healthworks members), Gravity might be old news to you. Even still, it’s an awesome workout!

IMG_4367.JPG

Gravity is a full-body, strength training workout that forces you to essentially work against gravity. You use your own body weight to move up and down on the machine’s glideboard to strengthen and tone your body. (It sort of reminds me of the Pilates reformer.) You quickly and efficiently work every muscle in just 50 minutes.

IMG_4368.JPG

Healthworks offers a number of different Gravity classes at the Back Bay and Brookline locations. This morning, I took “Defy Gravity,” which is a class that combines gravity with plyometric cardio circuits. It was tough! I was pooped by the end!

IMG_4371.JPG

Healthworks members: You get a FREE Gravity and BURN class with your membership. If you’ve signed up recently (or even not-so-recently), make sure you inquire at the Fitness Desk about your free sessions. They’re definitely worth a try!

Lunch

It is FREEZING in Boston today! The weather outside is seriously frightful! 8-O Anyway, it was the perfect day for a big bowl of soup.

IMG_4379.JPG

I cracked open a can of Progresso Zesty Southwestern-Style Vegetable soup to which I added a bunch of homemade croutons. Holy yum! Lunch hit the spot!

IMG_4380.JPG

After lunch, I satisfied by sweet tooth with a piece of dark chocolate.

IMG_4383.JPG

And a bunch of jelly beans.

IMG_4385.JPG

I’m off to see another apartment with Mal and then to an impromptu cheese tasting.

Happy Saturday!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 30, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I wish my gym had a class like that!!!!! Our gym is closed today :( :( due to the snow. My plan B will be a Dave Farmer podcast and then frollicking in the snow!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 30, 2010 at 1:52 pm

That sounds like a fabulous workout, and so unique!!! And kudos to you for braving the weather. You’re a stronger woman than I am! :)

Soup on a cold day is absolute perfection.

Estela @ Weekly Bite January 30, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Glad you had a great workout!

Good luck with the apartment!

zestycook January 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Good luck on the apartment hunt! I may grab a piece of chocolate off you too!

Katharine January 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm

That class looks interesting, I wish we had something like it at my gym. And good for you for sticking to it, it can be SO hard when the weather is telling you to stay inside. :)

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 30, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I’ve never heard of a Gravity class! How interesting. Those things do look like pilates reformers.

Kristen @ Change of Pace January 30, 2010 at 2:09 pm

That class seems like fun! Sounds really hard though!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) January 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm

good luck on the apartment search!

Karla January 30, 2010 at 2:11 pm

That sounds like a great gym! My gym is a little on the boring side.
    Happy Saturday!!

Betsy January 30, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Oooh that class sounds awesome!!!

Dale Cruse January 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm

My Plan A was hot dogs & macaroni & cheese. *Sigh.* I need to change my life.

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) January 30, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Your gym sounds awesome – great classes & facilities! Good job braving the cold to get there, I know it’s hard for me when it’s cold and rainy out so I applaud your commitment!

Kara January 30, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I have never heard of that workout but it sounds awesome! Classes like those must make it difficult to get bored.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 30, 2010 at 2:41 pm

That workout sounds killer! Have a great afternoon, and good luck apartment hunting! Hope you see something you like!

Foy Update - Cook. Garden. Write. Repeat. January 30, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I am definately envious of your gym. Perhaps I should just pack up and move to Boston. Think they’d let me live in the locker room?!

diana(mymarblerye) January 30, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I’ve NEVER heard of that class. Living in this hick town I feel so sheltered!! You’ve had such a varied workout regimen this week!

Angie's Appetite January 30, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Love love love Gravity classes. I used to teach them and your post is a reminder that I miss it!

Good job getting out on a cold day!!

*Andrea* January 30, 2010 at 3:06 pm

chocolate makes a meal perfectly well rounded ;) what a cool class!!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 30, 2010 at 3:08 pm

What cool machines!!!!

Jenny January 30, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I was going to say that those Gravity machines looked like Pilates Reformers! Sounds like a really fun workout!

I bought that Progresso soup today because it’s gotten so cold out, I’m really excited to try it!

Sofia January 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Nice workout! I have a Pilates Reformer, and I really like it. It’s not at an angle like your Gravity workout though. I’m more flexible since pilates. And as today is a snow Saturday here, it was a perfect morning to move around the furniture in my living room for a new look. And I moved small bookshelves and furniture more quickly & easily than a year ago!

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 30, 2010 at 3:24 pm

i’m completely jealous of two things in this post: the jelly beans, and the impromptu cheese tasting. that sounds like my kind of saturday :)

Hannah January 30, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Might I say how happy it makes me to see dark chocolate pop up on your blog? Quite apart from the fact that dark chocolate is, to me, what wine is to a lot of people (delicious, complex, worthy of appreciating), I always feel sad when “healthy” bloggers seem to put it off limits. I love your approach to food and life – you’re inspiring!

skinnyrunner January 30, 2010 at 3:32 pm

that class looks pretty rad,hard but rad!

Jamie January 30, 2010 at 3:35 pm

those machines look so intimidating! congrats on making it to your workout though, keeping up with workouts always makes me feel so much better!

Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run January 30, 2010 at 3:45 pm

It’s always fun to to switch up your usual workout and take unique classes such as Defy Gravity. Each day I find we have more ‘n’ more in common: b.day, latte & dark chocolate addicts, what’s next… Have a wonderful & relaxing Saturday! =)))

Gracie @ GirlMeetsHealth January 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm

That sounds like such an interesting workout. By looking at that machine, I’m boggled with figuring out how you maneuver it! I’d probably be that loser falling off the machine every 5 minutes, hahaha. I wish I had access to a gym with such cool classes, though!

Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie January 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm

That does sound like a good workout.

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) January 30, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Sounds like a cool class! It’s under 20 degrees and snowing here in DC so after shoveling the sidewalk, I’m just vegging in front of the TV. :D

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle January 30, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I’ve never seen anything like that for a workout- I can imagine it would be crazy tough based on trying to do incline sit ups! Enjoy cheese tasting- yum!

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) January 30, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I love homemade croutons! So delicious and so much less junky ingredients then the ones in the stores!

Have fun at the cheese tasting! :D

Freya @ foodfitnessandfreya.wordpress.com January 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm

oOoO I’ve never heard of that kind of gym class, sounds intriguing! Good on you for going out to brave the bad weather, very admirable :)

Cole January 30, 2010 at 4:35 pm

You have such a great variety of classes at your gym!

Lauren @ eater not a runner January 30, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I’ve seen those machines before but never knew what they were…..

Jenna January 30, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I’ve never heard of Gravity workouts before, it was interesting to learn about! Sounds like something I would like to try! :) Goodluck with the apartment!

Cynthia (It All Changes) January 30, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I’m jealous of all your awesome classes at your gym. My gym doesn’t have any so I tyr to do videos when I want to change it up.

Jenna January 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm

That class looks like a great workout!
    Soup with your croutons looks perfect for this mass weather! Mmmmm
    Jenna

Pam (@ TotalHealthCounseling) January 30, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I had a piece of Ghiradelli chocolate like that today too! Always hits the spot :)

Kerry @ Running on Faith January 31, 2010 at 12:55 am

I really wish that I had classes like that at my gym here!! It looks so challenging and amazing :)