• Reclaiming My Feel Great Weight

January 22, 2010

Good morning! Happy Friday! :mrgreen:

So, I reread everyone’s comments last night, slept on it, and I have decided that counting calories is not the best option for me right now. I realize the benefits of counting calories, but the cereal thing that happened the other night was 100% related to apartment search stress (and probably some book writing stress too). I thought Mal and I found renters for our place and found a new place to live, but both of those things came crashing down on the same night. I think multiple bowls of cereal were my way to deal with it.

Anyway, your comments and advice definitely helped me reevaluate how I have been eating lately. Most of it is stress-related, but some of it can be avoided if I make a better effort– like not buying “trigger foods,” drinking more water, eating more protein, and choosing nutritious foods for my meals and snacks.

It sort of seemed like I received a free counseling session from all of your wonderful comments! I feel like a new woman this morning! :-D I decided to bookmark yesterday’s post as well as add it to my Lose the Dough page for motivation when I did it. Feel free to consult this post as well!

Breakfast

Mal and I slept in the morning, so while he got ready for school, I made us a yummy breakfast.

IMG_3653.JPG

My apple-cinnamon-raisin-brown sugar oatmeal was such a hit on Wednesday morning, I decided to make it again. Mmm! Love this combo!

IMG_3658.JPG

But, the real star of this morning’s breakfast was freshly brewed espresso drinks.

IMG_3649.JPG IMG_3651.JPG

Holy yum! :-D

IMG_3661.JPG

In the mix:

• 1 shot of espresso
    • 6 oz. iced coffee
    • 6 oz. vanilla soy milk
    • Ice

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

Reclaiming my Feel Great Weight

The nice folks at Health.com put together the coolest slideshow for Lose the Dough. Be sure to check it out: My 3-Part Healthiest-Self Plan!

Snapshot 2010-01-21 21-02-40.tiff

Fiona’s Challenge II

Fiona’s Challenge is back!

Apply to Healthworks’ next bootcamp challenge and be pushed to your limits with your group. Get your team together quick– applications are due Monday, February 1st. For more information, please visit www.fionaschallenge.com.

fionas_challenge_at_healthworks.jpg

“Keep Calm” Giveaway

Thanks to everyone who entered! Don’t you just love those prints?!

Here’s your winner: 353

#353 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write

I would definitely get the KEEP CALM & LOVE FOOTBALL. My husband would love it. He is completely my rock. I barely get to see him because I work constantly, and he deserves something awesome!!! I hope I get it!

Congrats, Jasmine! Please email me at tina@carrotsncake.com.

How do you measure good health?

Jessica January 22, 2010 at 11:56 am

YAY! I’m so glad to hear it :-) You can eat healthy without counting calories, I think you were just being too hard on yourself with the cereal too. Put a box of cheeze-its in front of me and there’s no stopping me!! That’s my trigger food, for sure!

Leo @ cupcakes in Paris January 22, 2010 at 11:57 am

Loved your post. I too have been dealing with stress related “indulgences” lately! I was wondering wether or not to calorie count and you gave me my answer. Your healthiest self plan is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) January 22, 2010 at 11:57 am

Good for you for figuring out what works for you! I definitely cannot have trigger foods in the house. If your house is full of nutrious foods, then that’s all you can eat! When I’m watching what I eat, I can’t even Bake bec/ I know I’ll eat it all. :(

Jessie @ thehappinessofhealth January 22, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Great slideshow, Tina! I’m glad you have such a balanced perspective on health and wellness. What an inspiration to all your readers! :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) January 22, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Stress + trigger foods =danger for me. I’m glad you figured out what it was and made a decision best for you.

For me health is measured in the strength of my back. When I am at my healthy happy weight and fitness level my back doesn’t hurt at all.

Julie @ Pickley Pear January 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Very cool that Health.com put together the show for you (and us!), I’m going to check it out after I write this comment.

I feel healthy when I get a good night’s sleep. I tend to eat smarter and healthier after restful night, and am in a more positive mindset as well.

Jessica (Sidewalk Theologian) January 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I typically measure health by how much I’m exercising whether it is yoga, walking or running, how many portions of fruits/veggies I eat in a given day and how my prayer life has been going. All of those things are interconnected and I can feel it when I am neglecting investing in one of these areas!

Nicole (dishin') January 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm

We all have days where we fall off the wagon a little. I think you’re still on the right track and have a good mindset. We can’t be perfect all the time. Your coffee drink looks so refreshing!

Karina January 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I measure my fitness level by how good I feel (emotionally and physically) as well as by my bowel movements. I know it sounds strange, but there’s alot of info there. I LOVE oatmeal too!

Astrid January 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I agree with you on countain calories. It is something I cannot do. It is too triggering for me. It’s the same thing with a scale. No scale, no calorie counting. Health for me is based on happiness, fitness, and a healthy relationship with food. This healthy relationship involves not banning unhealthy or “trigger” foods, because putting that type of label says that food has power over me. I have recovered from an ed, so these are the things that work for me.
    Don’t beat yourself up or overanalyze why you ate something. Part of you needed it at that time. You are gorgeous and you will stay gorgeous with or without the “extra” dough!
    Have a great day, Tina!

Ellen January 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I measure good health by how I feel. If I feel good, it’s because I’m eating well, exercising, and enjoying the little things that are a part of each day.

You have to do whatever you feel is best, but I must say that I’m really glad you decided not to count calories!

Courtney January 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I am pretty in tune with my body and can tell when something is “off” by the texture and color of my skin, my hair, the smells and all the other stuff that goes into your own individual makeup. When something is off I try and balance it back out to feel healthy as I can again. Lots of it is mental as well…have to remember to THINK healthy too!
    Courtney
    adventures in tri-ing

Ami January 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Hi Tina!

Lately I have been doing these workouts from the website bodyrock.tv. They are awesome and give me a full body workout in about 30 mins. I love them because they are so intense and combine cardio with weights, plus you dont need much equipment at home to do them. Check it out! My endurance and strength has increased so much since starting on these workouts!!

Ashley latteashley@blogspot.com January 22, 2010 at 1:43 pm

TIna,

I am happy to hear you are doing better! I know that I also find myself eating sometimes to distract from what is going on in my life. I usually find a correlation between bouts of over consumption and stress .. For me, counting calories allowed me to be aware of how much and when I was consuming the majority of my calories so I could put things into perspective. However, it is a theory but does not work for everyone. Also, the other negative is that very commonly when you start to be over consumed by counting calories it becomes stressful and almost makes a person rely more heavily on counting them vs. enjoying the food they want, when they want it and stopping when they are perfectly satisfied. I think you are on the right track and you already look fantastic !! Keep up the good work girl, YOU CAN DO IT!

Megan M. (Bites of the Apple) January 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Good luck w/ losing the dough!! I’ve been floundering a little since I finished a marathon two weeks ago, and this is just the motivation i need to get back on track instead of just feeling sad that my race is over and my “goal” is gone!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I’m also glad you decided not to count. It is a vicious cycle that can end up hurting you more than helping you. It can also make you SUPER obsessive (not you as in you particularly but people in general). I’m so glad that the comments helped and that you are feeling better. The cereal thing isn’t something that happens often and it’s OK that it happened.. we all make mistakes.

Kristine January 22, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Woo hoo! I think you made the best decision :)

Christina January 22, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I measure my health by how I’m feeling. Usually when I’m exercising and eating well, I’m at my happiest!

nikole lee January 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm

HI Tina
    I have seen your posts about Agave Nectar so i started to using it but this morning i found this article saying it might not be safe.
    should we pour it down in sink??? :)
    Please inform us if you know more information on this.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 22, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I measure good health by how I feel. When I know I’m eating right and exercising I feel so much more energetic and like myself. I know that’s how I should feel and strive to stay like that.

Your bfast oatmeal = amazing

jennifer January 22, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I’m so happy you are not doing the counting…I am a cal counter and hate it…I’m trying to not do it, but eating clean and choosing good foods…I have been doing this since Dec. 1st. I own a tshirt printing company with my hubby and I usually get ink all over me, so I wear sweats and tshirts a lot…so this am, I thought maybe I should try the jeans on…it’s been a while…and can you believe the 6′s were awesome! I’m happy that I am learning to eat clean and it is so great not to count!!!!!

thanks again to you for all your posts!!!

Lara January 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I measure good health by my energy and attitude. If one is down then I know I need to stop and re-asses what is going on.

Maybe you could add “stopping emotional eating” as one of your goals for the challenge. It is definitely a lifestyle change that is very important for long term weight maintenance. I think if you continue to work on eating more balanced meals you will be less inclined to give into the stress eating.