• Baked Oatmeal In An Instant

January 30, 2010

So, I’m sort of obsessed with my breakfast creation this morning.

Quaker sent me a ton of instant oatmeal for their Create Your Day campaign, so I’ve been trying to think of ways to incorporate the instant stuff into my diet. Don’t get me wrong, I love ALL types of oatmeal– I just know that the old-fashioned variety is a more nutritious option.

So, I present to you my “Baked” Pumpkin Oatmeal! :mrgreen:

IMG_4360.JPG

Ingredients:

• 1 packet of Maple Brown Sugar instant oatmeal
    • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
    • 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder

Directions:

• Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl; mix well
    • Cook in microwave for 2 minutes
    • Allow to cool before enjoying

IMG_4358.JPG

The end result was a warm, sweet, cake-like oatmeal. I’m pretty sure the rest of my instant oatmeal will turn into “baked” oatmeal! It’s really good! :-D

IMG_4363.JPG

I’m heading downtown to Healthworks for one of my favorite workouts. (Physique 57 should definitely be added to the list!!! I’m SO SORE today!)

What’s your favorite workout?

Enjoy your Saturday! 8-)

Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run January 30, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Way to get creative with instant oatmeal. I’m off to my gym for a spin class this morning. Already super sore from yoga, ahhh.

Jamie January 30, 2010 at 1:39 pm

oooh, the addition of baking powder is so smart! i am jealous you get to head to the gym: i walked to mine today and beacuse of the snow BOTH of the schools gyms are closed :( guess im going for a way…

Courtney January 30, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I have all those things in my house!!!! I’m snowed in and I can still make that!!!!!! SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite workout…currently is The Firm: Power Yoga. I just discovered it on Wednesday…so…yeah.

But I got to do yoga and relax…but was also sore the next day in places I usually can’t work!!! (Obliques) so that ROCKED!!!!!!!

All-time faves are running…and also 10 Min Solutions Kickboxing. That one is great for bad days. :)

How To Improve Immune System January 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I absolutely love oatmeal and oats, and they are so good for you too!
    I have a wonderful recipe for oatmeal stuffing for turkey and I adore oatcakes with cheese, as well as porridge and haggis!

Annie January 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Wow, Tina, that baked pumpkin oatmeal looks AMAZING! I’m definitely going to try it – thanks for posting!

Kristin January 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Hi Tina! I’m new to the blog world and just wanted to say your blog is one of my favs! Your baked oatmeal looks so delish :) As for favorite workouts, I would say spinning or running.

I hope you’ll check out my new blog which documents my training for my first half marathon. Have a great weekend!

Jessie January 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I JUST made this…..so good!

Nicci January 30, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Your baked oats look great, I had some this morning too.

Susan (All Things In Moderation) January 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I have to tell you, I love all your recipes and I make a lot of them. I made a baked pumpkin oatmeal this morning, it was amazing, but it was more work than I want to do on a week day, I don’t have the time. I will be trying your baked oatmeal recipe during the week for sure! Thanks for always coming up with such great stuff!

sirenjess January 30, 2010 at 5:38 pm

My favorite workout is a long run. It helps me reduce stress and clear my mind. Next would be spinning with my favorite instructors, then total conditioning, barbell strength, and yoga when I can get it in.

Erin @ Erin Eats and Exercises January 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I would have to say running because it is convenient. You can do it at any time any where! I did try my first boxing class this morning. I was a bit weary at first thinking it may be 90 minutes of hell but it was amazing! Best $15 I have spent in a while, what a workout!!

Courtney @ Charm City Green January 30, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Oooh this must taste like a bowl of pumpkin pie! YUM!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) January 30, 2010 at 10:01 pm

what a great recipe! i love oatmeal and microwave recipes!

alexe @ soyaetchocolat January 31, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Hi Tina! Is there a way I could make that oatmeal cake with regular oats (quick or rolled, I have both)? Thanks!

Kelly January 31, 2010 at 12:26 pm

That looks great. I actually made the 3-minute cookie with instant oatmeal (Cinnamon Spice), since it was all I had at the time. It worked out great and a lot quicker. Great for mornings, or days when you’re out of sugar, vanilla extract and other flavoring ingredients that NEED to be added to plain oats!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 31, 2010 at 3:28 pm

What a great way to use up extra instant oatmeal! I have some left that probably won’t be used so this would be a great alternative.

Seth @ Boy Meets Food February 1, 2010 at 10:56 am

Another great option for the instant stuff is muesli! If you haven’t ever tried it, I definitely recommend it. Actually, I am eating a bowl right now, as I type this…

Here is a simple post I did about it:

Roz February 7, 2010 at 8:47 pm

We can’t get canned pumpkin in NZ – any suggestions for an easy replacement or could it be left out all together for this recipe? Help would be appreciated!! :)

Olivia May 16, 2010 at 11:29 pm

oh my gosh, i can’t believe how easy and delicious this was! THANKS (:

Yazmin @ A Pretty Rock July 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

It just so happens my mom left me two packets of instant maple oatmeal and I, like you, enjoy the old-fashioned oats much more. Adding pumpkin to the instant oatmeal package is such a great idea! I may make this for lunch!