• Baked Oatmeal In An Instant

January 30, 2010

So, I’m sort of obsessed with my breakfast creation this morning.

Quaker sent me a ton of instant oatmeal for their Create Your Day campaign, so I’ve been trying to think of ways to incorporate the instant stuff into my diet. Don’t get me wrong, I love ALL types of oatmeal– I just know that the old-fashioned variety is a more nutritious option.

So, I present to you my “Baked” Pumpkin Oatmeal! :mrgreen:

• 1 packet of Maple Brown Sugar instant oatmeal
    • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
    • 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder

• Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl; mix well
    • Cook in microwave for 2 minutes
    • Allow to cool before enjoying

The end result was a warm, sweet, cake-like oatmeal. I’m pretty sure the rest of my instant oatmeal will turn into “baked” oatmeal! It’s really good! 😀

I’m heading downtown to Healthworks for one of my favorite workouts. (Physique 57 should definitely be added to the list!!! I’m SO SORE today!)

What’s your favorite workout?

Enjoy your Saturday! 😎

Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run January 30, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Way to get creative with instant oatmeal. I’m off to my gym for a spin class this morning. Already super sore from yoga, ahhh.

Jamie January 30, 2010 at 1:39 pm

oooh, the addition of baking powder is so smart! i am jealous you get to head to the gym: i walked to mine today and beacuse of the snow BOTH of the schools gyms are closed :( guess im going for a way…

Courtney January 30, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I have all those things in my house!!!! I’m snowed in and I can still make that!!!!!! SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite workout…currently is The Firm: Power Yoga. I just discovered it on Wednesday…so…yeah.

But I got to do yoga and relax…but was also sore the next day in places I usually can’t work!!! (Obliques) so that ROCKED!!!!!!!

All-time faves are running…and also 10 Min Solutions Kickboxing. That one is great for bad days. :)

How To Improve Immune System January 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I absolutely love oatmeal and oats, and they are so good for you too!
    I have a wonderful recipe for oatmeal stuffing for turkey and I adore oatcakes with cheese, as well as porridge and haggis!

Annie January 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Wow, Tina, that baked pumpkin oatmeal looks AMAZING! I’m definitely going to try it – thanks for posting!

Kristin January 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Hi Tina! I’m new to the blog world and just wanted to say your blog is one of my favs! Your baked oatmeal looks so delish :) As for favorite workouts, I would say spinning or running.

I hope you’ll check out my new blog which documents my training for my first half marathon. Have a great weekend!

Jessie January 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I JUST made this…..so good!

Nicci January 30, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Your baked oats look great, I had some this morning too.

Susan (All Things In Moderation) January 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I have to tell you, I love all your recipes and I make a lot of them. I made a baked pumpkin oatmeal this morning, it was amazing, but it was more work than I want to do on a week day, I don’t have the time. I will be trying your baked oatmeal recipe during the week for sure! Thanks for always coming up with such great stuff!

sirenjess January 30, 2010 at 5:38 pm

My favorite workout is a long run. It helps me reduce stress and clear my mind. Next would be spinning with my favorite instructors, then total conditioning, barbell strength, and yoga when I can get it in.

Erin @ Erin Eats and Exercises January 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I would have to say running because it is convenient. You can do it at any time any where! I did try my first boxing class this morning. I was a bit weary at first thinking it may be 90 minutes of hell but it was amazing! Best $15 I have spent in a while, what a workout!!

Courtney @ Charm City Green January 30, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Oooh this must taste like a bowl of pumpkin pie! YUM!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) January 30, 2010 at 10:01 pm

what a great recipe! i love oatmeal and microwave recipes!

alexe @ soyaetchocolat January 31, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Hi Tina! Is there a way I could make that oatmeal cake with regular oats (quick or rolled, I have both)? Thanks!

Kelly January 31, 2010 at 12:26 pm

That looks great. I actually made the 3-minute cookie with instant oatmeal (Cinnamon Spice), since it was all I had at the time. It worked out great and a lot quicker. Great for mornings, or days when you’re out of sugar, vanilla extract and other flavoring ingredients that NEED to be added to plain oats!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 31, 2010 at 3:28 pm

What a great way to use up extra instant oatmeal! I have some left that probably won’t be used so this would be a great alternative.

Seth @ Boy Meets Food February 1, 2010 at 10:56 am

Another great option for the instant stuff is muesli! If you haven’t ever tried it, I definitely recommend it. Actually, I am eating a bowl right now, as I type this…

Here is a simple post I did about it:

Roz February 7, 2010 at 8:47 pm

We can’t get canned pumpkin in NZ – any suggestions for an easy replacement or could it be left out all together for this recipe? Help would be appreciated!! :)

Olivia May 16, 2010 at 11:29 pm

oh my gosh, i can’t believe how easy and delicious this was! THANKS (:

Yazmin @ A Pretty Rock July 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

It just so happens my mom left me two packets of instant maple oatmeal and I, like you, enjoy the old-fashioned oats much more. Adding pumpkin to the instant oatmeal package is such a great idea! I may make this for lunch!