• A Beautiful Saturday

January 16, 2010

It’s a beautiful day in Boston this morning! :mrgreen:

I’ve heard rumors that the temps might even get up into the low 50′s today! Wouldn’t it be nice if Spring came early this year? I can dream, right?

View from my balcony:

IMG_3176.JPG

Breakfast

I wanted a 3-Minute Cookie for breakfast this morning, but I knew that 150 calories (approximately) would not fill me up and keep me satisfied all morning, so I “enhanced” the recipe a bit.

IMG_3177.JPG

In the mix:

• 1/2 cup oats
    • 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
    • 1 heaping tbsp brown sugar
    • 1 heaping tbsp Vega Smoothie Infusion
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1 small banana, sliced
    • Cinnamon to taste

IMG_3180.JPG

I then nuked the mixture in the microwave for 1:45 and added a big scoop of peanut butter. It’s not the prettiest thing that I’ve ever seen, but it tasted delicious and definitely filled me up!

IMG_3183.JPG

We’re completely out of milk and soy milk, so I’m off to hunt for iced coffee after I finish this post. I need my morning java!

Workout

I meant to post my workout yesterday, but I ran out of time before the Black Beer Affair last night. Better late than never, right? ;-)

At the gym, I started with a 45-minute strength training workout.

Seated Leg Press

IMG_3083.JPG

Chest Press

• 45 lbs. (the bar)
    • 15 reps
    • 3 sets

IMG_3084.JPG

Biceps Curl to Military Press (compound exercise)

• 10 lbs.
    • 15 reps
    • 3 sets

IMG_3085.JPG

Bent-Over Row to Triceps Kickback (compound exercise)

• 8 lbs.
    • 15 reps
    • 3 sets

IMG_3086.JPG

Assisted Pull-Ups

• 65 lbs.
    • 2 sets (my arms were jello!)
    • 10 reps

IMG_3087.JPG

After strength training, I did 55 minutes of cardio.

I started with a 25-minute walking workout on the treadmill, which I call The Pyramid.

The Pyramid

• 0:00 – 1:00 @ 4.1 mph (1.0 incline)
    • 1:00 – 3:00 @ 4.2 mph (2.0 incline)
    • 3:00 – 6:00 @ 4.3 mph (3.0 incline)
    • 6:00 – 10:00 @ 4.4 mph (4.0 incline)
    • 10:00 – 15:00 @ 4.5 mph (5.0 incline)
    • 15:00 – 19:00 @ 4.4 mph (4.0 incline)
    • 19:00 – 22:00 @ 4.3 mph (3.0 incline)
    • 22:00 – 24:00 @ 4.2 mph (2.0 incline)
    • 24:00 – 25:00 @ 4.1 mph (1.0 incline)

Variations:

• Running option: Add 2.0 mph to each interval
    • 50-minute option: Repeat workout twice

IMG_3088.JPG

I finished up my workout with 30 minutes on the elliptical while catching up with my celeb gossip. I can’t get enough of it!

IMG_3090.JPG

I have busy Saturday ahead with my mom and sister. My sister and I are getting facials then hitting the gym together, and later this afternoon, we are meeting my mom for Fondue Fest! Mmm! Can’t wait!

Enjoy your Saturday! 8-)

Cynthia (It All Changes) January 16, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I love when you post workouts. I add them to a little notebook that I take to the gym and choose a workout for the day.

Lynn (The Actors Diet) January 16, 2010 at 4:58 pm

i love your beefed up cookie recipe. wanna try that soon!

Chloe (Project Live Well) January 16, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Thanks for the breakfast cookie recipe – I’m definitely going to try this one.

Great to see so many bloggers concentrating on strength training this January – its totally inspired me to work hard in the gym!

K January 16, 2010 at 5:05 pm

That breakfast is so unique – it sounds fantastic! Hope you guys got a warm up today, it was pretty warm here as well :)

Christy January 16, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Wow, what a good workout! :)

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 16, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I would love to see a beautiful Boston day. I’ve never been. Your improved cookie looks delish.

diana(mymarblerye) January 16, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Man Tina, when you work out you WORK OUT. Awesome weights! I’m still doing my little 5 pounders. :)

petunia January 18, 2010 at 8:48 am

Tina,

You should read “The New Rules of Lifting for Women” even if you don’t follow the workout — because it makes a good case why Seated Leg Presses are a waste of time. I used to do them and now I’m convinced there are way better exercises you can do for your legs. : ) xo

April January 18, 2010 at 10:23 am

This workout is great! Time just flies by..thanks!

Amelia January 18, 2010 at 11:20 am

Love the pyramid workout! Going to go try it now. :)

Tammy January 20, 2010 at 11:13 am

I like the breakfast cookie! I have made it several times now and have found a combo I love..I substituted chocolate hemp protein powder for the Vega powder you used, and substituted 1 heaping Tbs. of cocoa for the cinnimon…I love chocolate for breakfast!

Madison Maguire July 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

Hi Tina,
    Thanks for this workout. I was wondering how much you rest between each set? I am a runner (just completed 10km) but have avoided strength training and am now trying to get into it. Do you have any advice? It is a bit intimidated to get started. Love your blog by the way!

Tina July 14, 2011 at 11:18 am

@Madison Maguire: Between sets not very long. Maybe 30 seconds or so– just long enough for my muscles to get a little break.