• A Beautiful Saturday

January 16, 2010

It’s a beautiful day in Boston this morning! :mrgreen:

I’ve heard rumors that the temps might even get up into the low 50’s today! Wouldn’t it be nice if Spring came early this year? I can dream, right?

View from my balcony:

I wanted a 3-Minute Cookie for breakfast this morning, but I knew that 150 calories (approximately) would not fill me up and keep me satisfied all morning, so I “enhanced” the recipe a bit.

In the mix:

• 1/2 cup oats
    • 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
    • 1 heaping tbsp brown sugar
    • 1 heaping tbsp Vega Smoothie Infusion
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1 small banana, sliced
    • Cinnamon to taste

I then nuked the mixture in the microwave for 1:45 and added a big scoop of peanut butter. It’s not the prettiest thing that I’ve ever seen, but it tasted delicious and definitely filled me up!

We’re completely out of milk and soy milk, so I’m off to hunt for iced coffee after I finish this post. I need my morning java!

I meant to post my workout yesterday, but I ran out of time before the Black Beer Affair last night. Better late than never, right? 😉

At the gym, I started with a 45-minute strength training workout.

Seated Leg Press

• 10 reps
    • 3 sets

Chest Press

• 45 lbs. (the bar)
    • 15 reps
    • 3 sets

Biceps Curl to Military Press (compound exercise)

• 10 lbs.
    • 15 reps
    • 3 sets

Bent-Over Row to Triceps Kickback (compound exercise)

• 8 lbs.
    • 15 reps
    • 3 sets

Assisted Pull-Ups

• 65 lbs.
    • 2 sets (my arms were jello!)
    • 10 reps

After strength training, I did 55 minutes of cardio.

I started with a 25-minute walking workout on the treadmill, which I call The Pyramid.

The Pyramid

• 0:00 – 1:00 @ 4.1 mph (1.0 incline)
    • 1:00 – 3:00 @ 4.2 mph (2.0 incline)
    • 3:00 – 6:00 @ 4.3 mph (3.0 incline)
    • 6:00 – 10:00 @ 4.4 mph (4.0 incline)
    • 10:00 – 15:00 @ 4.5 mph (5.0 incline)
    • 15:00 – 19:00 @ 4.4 mph (4.0 incline)
    • 19:00 – 22:00 @ 4.3 mph (3.0 incline)
    • 22:00 – 24:00 @ 4.2 mph (2.0 incline)
    • 24:00 – 25:00 @ 4.1 mph (1.0 incline)

• Running option: Add 2.0 mph to each interval
    • 50-minute option: Repeat workout twice

I finished up my workout with 30 minutes on the elliptical while catching up with my celeb gossip. I can’t get enough of it!

I have busy Saturday ahead with my mom and sister. My sister and I are getting facials then hitting the gym together, and later this afternoon, we are meeting my mom for Fondue Fest! Mmm! Can’t wait!

Enjoy your Saturday! 😎

Cynthia (It All Changes) January 16, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I love when you post workouts. I add them to a little notebook that I take to the gym and choose a workout for the day.

Lynn (The Actors Diet) January 16, 2010 at 4:58 pm

i love your beefed up cookie recipe. wanna try that soon!

Chloe (Project Live Well) January 16, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Thanks for the breakfast cookie recipe – I’m definitely going to try this one.

Great to see so many bloggers concentrating on strength training this January – its totally inspired me to work hard in the gym!

K January 16, 2010 at 5:05 pm

That breakfast is so unique – it sounds fantastic! Hope you guys got a warm up today, it was pretty warm here as well :)

Christy January 16, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Wow, what a good workout! :)

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 16, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I would love to see a beautiful Boston day. I’ve never been. Your improved cookie looks delish.

diana(mymarblerye) January 16, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Man Tina, when you work out you WORK OUT. Awesome weights! I’m still doing my little 5 pounders. :)

petunia January 18, 2010 at 8:48 am

You should read “The New Rules of Lifting for Women” even if you don’t follow the workout — because it makes a good case why Seated Leg Presses are a waste of time. I used to do them and now I’m convinced there are way better exercises you can do for your legs. : ) xo

April January 18, 2010 at 10:23 am

This workout is great! Time just flies by..thanks!

Amelia January 18, 2010 at 11:20 am

Love the pyramid workout! Going to go try it now. :)

Tammy January 20, 2010 at 11:13 am

I like the breakfast cookie! I have made it several times now and have found a combo I love..I substituted chocolate hemp protein powder for the Vega powder you used, and substituted 1 heaping Tbs. of cocoa for the cinnimon…I love chocolate for breakfast!

Madison Maguire July 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

Hi Tina,
    Thanks for this workout. I was wondering how much you rest between each set? I am a runner (just completed 10km) but have avoided strength training and am now trying to get into it. Do you have any advice? It is a bit intimidated to get started. Love your blog by the way!

Tina July 14, 2011 at 11:18 am

@Madison Maguire: Between sets not very long. Maybe 30 seconds or so– just long enough for my muscles to get a little break.