• 1 Out of 3 Ain’t Bad

January 19, 2010

Well, tonight’s apartment hunt didn’t turn out as expected. :-? We only ended up seeing 1 out of the 3 apartments that we planned to see. Two of the owners canceled on us last-minute. Boo! :evil:

The apartment that we did see was decent, but I don’t think it would have worked for us in the long run. Personally, the coin-op laundry in the basement was a big red flag for me! Oh well. We’re looking at a place tomorrow that seems to have some potential!

What are your “must-haves” in a house/apartment?

My list:

• Pet-friendly
    • FREE laundry
    • Dishwasher
    • FREE parking
    • Close-ish to public transportation
    • Yard/near park

Dinner

TGFL! Thank God for Leftovers! ;-)

Tonight’s leftover Turkey and Bean Chili tasted even better than it did last night. It must have “soaked-up” all of the wonderful flavors sitting in the fridge overnight.

IMG_3471.JPG

So good! :mrgreen:

IMG_3475.JPG

I also had some crackers on the side for scooping up chili chunks.

IMG_3479.JPG

For dessert, I enjoyed a big square of Scharffen Berger dark chocolate.

IMG_3481.JPG

And, later, I made myself a maple-brown sugar 3-Minute Cookie with Vega Smoothie Infusion mixed in. (Ok, I’m officially addicted to these things!)

IMG_3484.JPG

Mal and I have a hot date with our DVR!

G’night!

Tina January 20, 2010 at 6:21 am

@Rika: I don’t let mine soak up the liquid and they come out soft and chewy. Not sure where Meghann got the crunchy idea?

MizFit January 20, 2010 at 6:37 am

Mine was always MUST HAVE the ability to bring my giant breed (140 lbs) dog.
    Totally why I ended up having to buy a condo :)

Marla January 20, 2010 at 9:44 am

Actually coin laundry(as long as clean,handy and not many people sharing it!)and no dishwasher is really not that bad guys.It’s prob better for environment anyways.
    I have no dishwasher and it’s not a big deal honestly!

Must haves-
    **no smoking anywhere!
    -not on main floor(single woman-don’t feel safe opening windows unless at least second floor!)
    -safe area
    windows that are not rotting and open easily!
    -clean laundry in building
    -affordable,pref heat included
    -near bus
    -GOOD VIBE ;)

Nicole (dishin') January 20, 2010 at 10:27 am

I agree with your must-haves. I have coin-op laundry now and it’s no fun. I have to go down three flights of strairs to the basement too. A dishwasher is huge (I couldn’t live without mine) and I would like a bigger kitchen too!

Tammy January 20, 2010 at 10:31 am

I will NOT live in an apartment complex!! I try to check out the neighbors beforehand too…I don’t want to live next to people who are super loud. I usually require: 2 bedrooms, hardwood floors (no old carpet, ew!), preferably a dishwasher, and definitely a washer and dryer!

Allison January 20, 2010 at 11:19 am

My must-haves are: Ground floor, not an apartment complex but a free-standing house, free laundry on site, workable kitchen, and closet space!

Brie (The Fit Bride) January 20, 2010 at 11:20 am

I wish you would do a post about doggie nutrition! Chicken Soup is such a great dog food, but there are so many people out there that think they’re being great pet owners by feeding Science Diet and Iams, which are actually some of the worst foods you can feed your pets. Check out dogfoodanalysis.com–it’s scary! Dogs deserve better!

Michelle January 20, 2010 at 11:39 am

My must-haves?

*A dishwasher (even though we own a portable one)
    *Washer/dryer hookups (now that we own a pair of our own)
    *Our own parking
    *A yard/balcony (I like to garden and the hubs likes to grill)
    *Central heat/air
    *24 hr maintenance
    *Decent community
    *Affordable
    *Decent-sized
    *Decently maintained

I’ve moved three times in the past year. The first place I lived in was well maintained, had my own parking, onsite coin-operated washers and dryers, and a great community, though it was way too small. It didn’t have central heat/air and it wasn’t plumbed for showers. The second place I lived in was all-utilities paid and about twice the size of the previous place, had central heat/air and a balcony. However, it had a horrible community, terrible maintenance (had my ceiling literally falling in over my computer during a torrential thunderstorm and they didn’t do anything for weeks), no working laundry, and no assigned parking (fiance had his car vandalized and a friend’s apartment got broken into). Right before I got married I moved into a townhouse that is maintained far better, has central heat/air, has a small backyard, assigned parking, even bigger than the last place, built-in dishwasher, washer dryer hookups, 24-hr maintenance, and a MUCH more pleasant community. Frankly, I have no complaints about where I live, except for maybe the fact that I share two walls with other tenants, but the affordable houses in town are much worse!

Laura @ FindingAHealthyBalance...after a 100+ POUND weight loss! January 20, 2010 at 2:01 pm

In my experience, which has been a lot where CHILI is concerned it is “always” better the next day and should never be eaten the day you make it in light of that……just tasting that is all! I learned this from my mom and continue to do that now with my own family.

Ali (food, fitness, fashion) January 20, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I really need to try those cookies! I think I will make one for breakfast tomorrow!