• Starbucks Is My Savior

December 29, 2009

About halfway through our drive to San Francisco, the bus stopped in Corning, California for a 15-minute break so the passengers could stretch their legs, use the restroom, and grab a bite to eat.

Once the bus parked, I saw this sign in the distance:

IMG_1579.JPG

Starbucks!!!!!

Perhaps my luck has returned?!

IMG_1576.JPG

At Starbucks, Mal placed our order while I uploaded my pervious blog post from Ecto using the free Wi Fi.

For lunch, I had a ham and cheddar egg sandwich and an iced soy milk latte. Both of which hit the spot and put me in a much better mood. I started to feel a little bit cranky on the bus. (Buses and I don’t typically get along.)

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

For dessert, Mal and I whipped out the Fran’s Gray Salt Caramels from our Christmas stocking stash.

IMG_1585.JPG

We each ate one. Holy heaven in your mouth!

IMG_1587.JPG

Once we arrive in San Francisco, Mal and I have a 7-hour layover before our red eye flight to Boston. (Sounds lovely, doesn’t it?) But, a long layover gives us some time to explore San Francisco and Mal has never been there before. Should be fun!

One step closer to home…

Jessica @ How Sweet December 29, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Thank goodness for Starbucks!!

Allyson December 29, 2009 at 5:50 pm

What crappy luck! But, everything happens for a reason, so hopefully you guys will have an amazing layover in San Fran and get back home sometime soon! I had a trip that ended like this last year. It got so bad all we could do was laugh! So we laughed and laughed and ended up having a seriously great time, despite being stranded for days.

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen December 29, 2009 at 5:53 pm

If you’re gonna be stuck somewhere, San Francisco is the place! Hopefully you guys have a great time exploring what you can, and then an easy rest of the way home :)

Food Makes Fun Fuel December 29, 2009 at 5:53 pm

sea salt caramel sounds delicious.
    Good luck getting home!

Kailey December 29, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I feel so bad that your trip is so stressful!!
    yay for starbucks though :)

Stepf December 29, 2009 at 5:58 pm

At least you’re in a great city. Enjoy those few hours in SF!

Nicole- Geek Turned Athlete December 29, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Starbucks always has a way of saving the day! That sandwich looks great! Maybe you just needed some protein instead of all that sugar. I turn into a crazy lunatic when only have sugar for breaky!

Arlene December 29, 2009 at 6:07 pm

I’m glad things are looking up a little. That sandwich does look delicious.

Susan December 29, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Starbucks always makes bad days better! And today definitely qualifies for you – get home in one piece!

Erica December 29, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I hope you get home soon! Flight cancellations are the worst. If it’s any consolation, the east coast is positively frigid today. I live in Connecticut, and our heat just stopped working! It’s terrible. Stay warm!

Jenna December 29, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Glad starbucks saved your day!
    Hopefully you will return to Boston without any problems!
    Jenna

candice December 29, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Gray salt caramels sound amazing!! I’d take that over Godiva any day. 8O

leslie December 29, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I love Starbucks. I also tried chocolate with sea salt in Seattle last summer and it is amazing!!

Erin December 29, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Starbucks is a life-saver on long trips! Safe travels.

Brie (The Fit Bride) December 29, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Yum, I love eggs for lunch!

Kim C. December 29, 2009 at 6:45 pm

this trip has been such a nightmare I actually forgot where you live! (well until you said Boston at the end)

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) December 29, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Glad you found some relief at Starbucks! Have fun in San Francisco and a safe flight home !

Leah December 29, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Well, if nothing else you get to explore San Francisco. Ive always wanted to go there. Hope you enjoy it!

Christy December 29, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Glad you’re making it… slowly but surely :D

Britt December 29, 2009 at 7:02 pm

What a crazy trip! Hopefully you can make the most of it while exploring San Fran!!!

Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run December 29, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Those caramels define perfection. Safe travels!

Runeatrepeat December 29, 2009 at 7:15 pm

What a crazy day!

Kelly December 29, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Starbucks has a way of appearing right when you need it most!
    I hope you make it home okay!

katie December 29, 2009 at 7:42 pm

girl- i am so sorry about your travel headaches!
    i LOVE those salted caramels!!

Cynthia (It All Changes) December 29, 2009 at 8:12 pm

If I didn’t know this was your real life I would think it was some crazy movie plot. I hope you are enjoying San Fran right now.

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) December 29, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Can’t wait to see what you guys do in San Fran :-) Safe travels!

Mommy RD December 29, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Oh gosh, this is sounding like the movie, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. ;-) So sorry that it has been an unlucky trip travel-wise. Take care.

Leanne December 29, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Sorry for the travel difficulties. Just want to say though that your positive attitude is really inspiring. I believe in doing the best we can to choose our attitudes and reactions to what life brings our way. I love how you seem to make the best of whatever happens. Hope you guys make it back to Boston soon.

Jennifer December 29, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Ohhhh y’all got lucky to get out when you did! This afternoon they closed the highway from Oregon into California because of heavy snow in the pass. Hope you made it back to Boston safely.

Red Head, Yellow Dog December 29, 2009 at 9:20 pm

holy crap this all just to get home?? you poor girl! just think about how GOOD it’s going to feel to sleep in your own bed when you get home (hopefully in freshly cleaned sheets..possibly the greatest feeling in the world)

at least your layover is in a cool city :) positive thinking wins in these situations!

Sarah Jayne December 29, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Starbucks always makes things better!! Those caramels look INCREDIBLE.

Tasha December 29, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Bus travel isn’t my favorite, but by now you should be far away from buses and out enjoying San Francisco. :)

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) December 29, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Ah, Starbucks is great, esp with their oatmeal.. makes for such a good snack or emergency meal!

Carolyn December 29, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Glad you were able to get some food. Here’s hoping your next flight goes better.

Jessica December 29, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Same!!!! I’ve never liked buses, ever. They always make me nauseous :(

But the starbucks soy latte sounds great –it’s my favorite drink!

Jenn December 29, 2009 at 11:41 pm

After a long day of hotel site inspections in Seattle, the 4 Seasons hooked us up with Fran’s salted caramels…they’re magic, I swear!

(Psst! Good photos.)

lynn @ the actors diet December 29, 2009 at 11:42 pm

good luck getting home!

Rebecca December 29, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Sorry about your flight being canceled! Starbucks always saves the day. :-)

Jenny December 29, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Bus trips are just gross. So sorry y’all had to take a rough route home, but I hope you got to San Fransisco alright, and had a nice time during your layover!

Vic December 30, 2009 at 12:09 am

I feel like those caramels were all the rage for Christmas this year in BlogLand! Where exactly can you get them… I am so curious to try them, since they seem like they would be amazing!

Katy @ These Beautiful Feet December 30, 2009 at 12:29 am

Oh my gosh, I would want to cry Tina. Glad you’re at least trying to keep up the positive attitude. Starbucks can cure most anything, right? Hope you got to see Jenna and Anne! Gosh I wish I were in San Fran!! :)

Brenda April 6, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Yeah thats about the only good thing in Corning[Cornhole] Trust me I know,I live there. lol. Well glad you liked Starbucks :]