• Jingle Bell 5k Recap

December 14, 2009

What a FUN road race! :mrgreen:

Even though I didn’t dress up in holiday gear, I had an absolute fabulous time! :-D My husband and our friend, Andy, however, really got into the event. (Let’s just say some of the photos of their costumes are being censored!)

It was SO cold before the race! 8-O I wore 4 layers on top!

The 5k race itself was awesome! Everyone was dressed in festive holiday gear– I swear, I saw it all! There were lots of Santa hats and elf ears as well as plenty of Christmas pajamas and candy cane striped socks and tights. I even saw a guy in a full-fledged snowman costume with a big-ass globe head. It was a lot like last year’s race, but even better. Mal and Andy were the only two that I saw with special costumes though. ;-)

Time-wise, I smoked the guys in the 5k! Even though they had Christmas presents strapped to their bodies, I still beat them by a good 3 minutes. :-D I came in at 25:52 (8:20 pace), which is definitely not my fastest time, but pretty good for not running much since May.

After running the Jingle Bell, Mal, Andy, and I met up at the Joshua Tree in Davis Square for some post-race brews.

We had a blast at the Joshua Tree! :mrgreen:

IMG_0026.JPG

The beer was a-flowing!

IMG_0027.JPG

After about an hour, we decided to grab a table and order some lunch.

For lunch, I ordered the Tomato Mozzarella Melt, which was actually a pretty pathetic excuse for what was advertised in the menu.

IMG_0035.JPG

The “vine ripened tomatoes” were icky house tomatoes and the eggplant and zucchini were totally non-existent. I know these veggies are out of season in the northeast, but maybe the menu should change a little bit? Even still, after drinking 2 beers, I would have eaten practically anything put in front of me!

IMG_0040.JPG

Yesterday was SUCH a great day! Even though my 5k time wasn’t a personal best, I’m still glad that I got out there and ran. And, I’m happy to report that my hip didn’t hurt that much. It’s a little sore, but running the Jingle Bell was totally worth it. :-D

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) December 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Now THATS a way to run and celebrate a race. Wish I had signed up for it. Congrats Tina!

Nancy December 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm

Hi Tina!
    I love your blog and find it so inspirational. My question actually has nothing to do with you, but is about Mal. I know he’s a teacher, and so am I. I’m just wondering if he has ever had a problem with any of his students reading your blog? Especially in light of his costume! I burst out laughing the minute I saw the picture. I thought the costume was hilarious, but I know I would be freaked if one of my students saw me in something like that, not that I have the necessary equipment for it! ;-) I live in the town I teach, and finding that line between having a private life and meeting my students and parents in the grocery store where they proceed to pretty much document every item in my cart drives me crazy!

Dori December 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm

The dick in a box costumes are hilarious!! Love it! Congrats on the race.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 13, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Ohhh those costumes are great!

Emily Eats and Exercises December 13, 2009 at 6:33 pm

I’m jealous of your race this morning – I got organized too late and it was sold out :( I need to find a new race soon.
    It looks like you guys had a great time!

Jenna December 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Hahaha, oh man, the guys costumes are hilarious. I would have been super proud as well. What a fun day!

Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) December 13, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Looks like a great time! I love the Dick in a Box outfits :D

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) December 13, 2009 at 6:38 pm

I ran the Jingle Bell 5k today as well and had a blast. So many people dress up, it was great to see all the costumes! Was this one also for the arthritis foundation?

Clarice December 13, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Looks like the race was a lot of fun. I’m running my first 5k on Jan 1st. What do you suggest wearing to stay warm and still be able to move?

diana(mymarblerye) December 13, 2009 at 6:45 pm

haha. I love how you were so proud your hubby has his…dick in a box. Love the recap. Looks like you are having such a fun holiday season!

maria December 13, 2009 at 6:49 pm

I love the costumes! Hilarious. Sounds like something my husband would dress up as. Good to know you are a good sport!

And congrats on your 5k and no hip pain!

rebecca lustig December 13, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Congrats on the race, lovely lady!
    bec xo

Susan December 13, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Congrats on the race and hilar costumes!
    That sucks about the sammy. I totes would’ve ordered it too since the menu makes it sound awesome.

Jenny December 13, 2009 at 7:00 pm

oh my god the costumes are insane — I love it!!

rungirlrunn December 13, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I love the costumes! I couldn’t imagine running with a box attached to me. Congrats on a great race!

Lisa December 13, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I absolutely LOVE the fact that they wore the boxes for hours after the race! Hilarious! Looks like you had so much fun.

Lauren December 13, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I saw those guys! I can’t believe that was your husband… too funny.

Kristen @ Change of Pace December 13, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Hilarious! Great job on the race girl.

Lee December 13, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Love it!

Nicci December 13, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Awesome costumes, too funny. Looks like a very fun time.

Sam (Merit to the Carrot) December 13, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Wow. Their costumes are GREAT! I just dragged my younger brother over to look at them. We shared a laugh ;) Glad you had a good race, looks like a fantastic day overall!

Christina MINDFUL LIVING December 13, 2009 at 7:40 pm

aw looks like such a fun day!!

Madeline @ Greens and Jeans December 14, 2009 at 8:35 am

Love Mal’s costume! I can’t imagine running a 5k with that one!

Kara December 14, 2009 at 8:39 am

Haha that looks like fun! I’m sure Mal’s costume was way more entertaining than the “traditional” ones.

diana(mymarblerye) December 14, 2009 at 8:58 am

shame on you tina. I just saw they have something called the santa speedo 5k in boston…YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT!

amanda December 14, 2009 at 9:11 am

Congrats on your run…I know the cold is soooo tough to run in.

Christy December 14, 2009 at 9:24 am

Those outfits are the best! Hahahaha :D

Tasha December 14, 2009 at 9:30 am

How did he keep that box up comfortably?

M December 14, 2009 at 9:57 am

I think I saw you running in Southie that morning (maybe to the T?) but I didn’t know it was you! I was wondering what the person was holding while they were running. haha now it all makes sense!

barbara December 14, 2009 at 9:59 am

Boy…Andy is super cute:)

Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run December 14, 2009 at 10:12 am

Looks like such a fun race!! Nice outfits ;-) I can’t imagine running with a box attached to my body.

Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 14, 2009 at 11:10 am

Looks like such a fun race! Congrats on beating the boys!! haha.

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) December 14, 2009 at 11:10 am

OMG Mal’s costume is hilarious!! Glad you had a good race followed by yummy eats!

Courtney December 14, 2009 at 11:39 am

What a fun time!!! I love dick in a box, now i have to pull it up on youtube so I can get a laugh…it is that time of year. Glad the hip held up!!
    Courtney
    adventures in tri-ing

skinnyrunner December 14, 2009 at 11:43 am

congrats on such a fun race! your guys pics are too cute and funny.
    i think i have that same nike pink pullover….

Naomi (onefitfoodie) December 14, 2009 at 11:49 am

haha love the costumes and joshua tree is fun! it is owned by the same peoeple that own Union street which is located in newton center. Personally I think the food on their menus (they are identical) has gone down hill, sadly :( they are both really fun bars to grab drinks and watch the pats though!

CONGRATS ON THE RACE !

Liz December 14, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Good for you for getting out and running. I’m not sure I could have braved the cold! You ran an awesome time though, and props to Mal for running well regardless of his “d*ck in a box”!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) December 14, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Congrats on even attempting a 5k race in this freezing weather! I wouldn’t even think twice about PRs, you’re amazing for making it out there in the first place.

Sorry to hear your sandwich as lackluster an didn’t live up to its purported description. I tend to eat any old thing, no matter what…but when there’s a certain expectation there it’s different. Especially if you’re paying extra to eat out!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather December 14, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Bummer about the not so great food. I’m glad the race was a ton of fun for you!!

Katie December 14, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Those costume are too funny!

Megan M. (Bites of the Apple) December 14, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Those costumes are hysterical–It’s maknig me want to sign up for a non-serious race!!!

hemp jogger December 14, 2009 at 2:21 pm

how did those boys know my favorite holiday gift?!

Sarah December 14, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I’m so glad I saw your post before it was censored! Too funny.

Missy Maintains December 14, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Congrats on the race! That is super fast to me! I love Joshua Tree! I went to the one in NY and they had delicious food (and drinks!)

Sarah December 14, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Wow, I am actually in awe of your race time! I ran one on Saturday too here in KY and also wore four layers, ha ha.

Andy December 14, 2009 at 3:46 pm

@barbara:

Thanks Babs

Bre December 14, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Looks like so much fun! We had our Jingle Bell Run this weekend too :) That’s super lame about the ‘wich though!!

Susan (All Things In Moderation) December 14, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Looks like the 5k was a blast! Love the “box” idea! Too funny!

Kelly B. December 14, 2009 at 5:37 pm

HOW FUN!!! LOVE IT!

Ashley December 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Hi Tina, I’m a reader and fellow Bostonian. I was driving through Somerville and saw the Jingle Bell run, but did not know what it was for. I was talking to someone about it today that ran it and they mentioned how they saw two men with presents taped to them. Not sure if it was your husband or not, but thought it was a funny coincidence! :)