When I first started at NuVal, Melissa of A Better Bag of Groceries gave me a copy of Miss Conduct’s Easy Greek Casserole recipe, which sounded delicious and easy to make, but the recipe has since been hanging on my fridge. Tonight, however, I discovered that I had all of the ingredients called for, so I finally whipped up this recipe.
- 1-1.5 cups cooked brown rice or other whole grain (quinoa is good)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 bulb garlic, chopped, or one tablespoon minced garlic from a jar
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half, or one can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 block firm tofu, drained & pressed
- sliced black olives (optional)
I basically followed the original recipe, but added mushrooms to the mix.
- Cook brown rice or other grain as directed.
- Preheat oven to 375 *F.
- Heat olive oil in skillet and add onion and garlic.
- Wash the spinach and squeeze dry.
- When the onion has become limp and tractable, add the spinach and whatever herbs you like. (Miss Conduct used dill, oregano, basil, and black pepper, but advises against adding salt since it’s already in the feta.) I also added 2 beaten eggs.
- While that cooks, spray an 8X8 pan with non-stick spray and spread the rice (or other grain) evenly across the bottom.
- When the spinach mixture is jsut barely cooked, put that on top.
- Finally, put the tomatoes and sliced olives on top of that, cover in foil, and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the tofu and feta together using a fork until it’s all crumbly.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and add the feta cheese and tofu topping.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered until topping browns– about 15 more minutes.
What an AWESOME recipe– flavorful, filling, and delicious! Even Mal loved it!
(If you’re curious how this recipe scores on the NuVal scale, be sure to visit Trading Up Downtown tomorrow. ;-))
Today, I ate lunch at my desk. I had leftovers from last night’s Pasta With Brie, Mushrooms, and Arugula.
And then a few chocolate Kisses.
And then some caramel-flavored cocoa. Mmmmm, chocolate!
Not pictured afternoon snacks include: toast with Barney Butter and more chocolate Kisses.
12 Days of Giveaways
Only 3 more days to go!
Thanks to everyone who entered! Here are your winners for the Gourmet Cheese Straws Giveaway:
on Dec 15th, 2009 at 12:22 pm 
M&M’s love ‘em and can’t stop eating ‘em
#331 Amanda M
on Dec 15th, 2009 at 9:37 am 
cashews. I literally can’t keep them in the apt or else I will eat them all!
Congrats, winners! Please email me with your full name and mailing address.
I’m spending the night working. Blah.
Good night, guys!