• Day Trip to San Francisco

December 30, 2009

When Mal and I finally arrived in San Francisco via 6-hour bus ride, we had a strong urge to drink a beer. Luckily, our friend, Beth T, offered to pick us up from the airport and save us from our misery entertain us until our late-night flight back to Boston.

Within minutes of meeting Beth at the airport, Mal and I had a beer in our hands! :-D

IMG_1600.JPG

Beth took us to a cute little place called Pizzeria Delfina, which was totally bumpin’ on a Tuesday afternoon. In fact, it was so busy, we ended up drinking our beers outside on the sidewalk, which Mal and I thought was pretty cool since we can’t do it in Boston!

IMG_1598.JPG

I had an Anchor Steam Christmas brew, which definitely hit the spot! :-D

IMG_1602.JPG

Once we finished drinking our beers, the three of us headed around the corner to Tartine to meet Jenna and Anne P for some bakery treats. (You can read my recap here.)

After Tartine, Beth, Mal, and I said goodbye to Jenna and Anne, and then picked up Beth’s husband, Corey, from work for some San Francisco sightseeing.

First stop: The Painted Ladies!!! :mrgreen:

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

I am was a huge fan of Full House.

IMG_1637.JPG

Then, our tour guides took us over to see the Golden Gate Bridge.

IMG_1641.JPG

It was a little cloudy, but we were still able to snap a touristy photo. ;-)

IMG_1643.JPG

The final stop of our San Francisco tour was the Palace of Fine Arts, which I absolutely loved! I didn’t even know this place existed. I’m so glad that we were able to visit.

IMG_1644.JPG

I took a zillion photos! I couldn’t help myself.

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1665.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

After spending some time at the Palace of Fine Arts, our wonderful tour guides took us to dinner at Liverpool Lil’s, a funky and eclectic English pub.

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

To start, the table ordered a round of beers. I went with a local brew: Trumer Pils.

IMG_1675.JPG

And, then I munched on a piece of garlic bread from the bread basket.

Seriously, why is garlic bread so amazingly delicious? I can never turn it down.

IMG_1678.JPG

I started with a small helping of pear salad with blue cheese.

IMG_1681.JPG

For my entree, I ordered the Sweet Potato Gnocchi, which was served with mixed wild mushrooms, sage, brown butter, chopped brussels spouts, pancetta, and truffle oil. The gnocchi wasn’t super sweet potato-y, but everything else about the dish was excellent. I ate the entire portion. No problem.

IMG_1684.JPG

MANY THANKS to Beth T and Corey (and Buddy) for their hospitality yesterday! They totally went out of their way to show Mal and me a great time, especially when we were down in the dumps about our travel situation. Thanks, again, guys! :-D

amanda December 30, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I love Gnocchis!!! It is one of my favorite Italian dishes that I can rarely find when I go out to eat. My mom use to make them homemade!

Jessica @ How Sweet December 30, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I am STILL a huge fan of Full House!! I would love to go there. :)

Caitlin December 30, 2009 at 3:31 pm

love the Full House homes!! so pretty!

MelissaNibbles December 30, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Liverpool Lil’s looks like fun! I love the sign and the decor inside.

Pretty pics!

Estela @ Weekly Bite December 30, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Looks like BethT saved the day! What a fun time :)

Nicole- Geek Turned Athlete December 30, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Those were some beautiful pics of the park!! It honestly looked like some place in Europe! I’m glad you are home and safe from all your bad travel luck!!

Carolyn December 30, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I’ve never been to San Fransisco. Gonna have to add it to the list. :)

Cait (Cait's Plate) December 30, 2009 at 3:40 pm

HAHA! Oh my gosh – that picture is seriously straight out of Full House opening credits! I never knew they were called “The Painted Ladies” and totally just spent 15 minutes reading about them on wikipedia!

Glad you were able to make lemonade out of your lemons :)

Maria December 30, 2009 at 3:45 pm

SF is my favorite city. Glad you were able to enjoy, esp. after a LONG trip!

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats December 30, 2009 at 3:45 pm

omg sweet potato gnocchi – how delish! Glad you could spend a little time in San Fran – it’s one of my absolute favorite places!

brandi December 30, 2009 at 3:45 pm

wow, that palace of fine arts is so cool! I’m glad you guys were able to make something of your long layover and have some fun!

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers December 30, 2009 at 3:58 pm

what wonderful friends. that fine arts place is gorgeous!

BethT December 30, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I love that you tagged this as Full House.

Erin December 30, 2009 at 3:59 pm

What gorgeous photos and good eats. A fun excursion! :)

Kara December 30, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Wow I totally want to go! Lovin the Full House shout-out.

Kristen @ Change of Pace December 30, 2009 at 4:02 pm

What pretty photos. So glad you finally got some peace of mind :)

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) December 30, 2009 at 4:12 pm

That is awesome it turned into getting to see your friends! Love the pictures, the more the better :-)

Jenn December 30, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Fun fact: Contrary to (open source) Wikipedia, the REAL full house house wasn’t in Alamo Square among the Painted Ladies. The real one’s in Lower Pacific Heights.

Janet December 30, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Ah, all my favorite things! Pizzeria Delfina, Anchor, Painted Ladies (I used to live 4 blocks from there!), and PoFA (so gorgeous, right?)! It’s nice you got a little mini vacation in the midst of all that crazy travel!

Cynthia (It All Changes) December 30, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I loved Full House too and always wanted to see the house.

How nice to have friends that can show you around when you are stranded.

caronae December 30, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I totally ran near that lighted arch thingy when I was in San Francisco this summer. It was beautiful!

Sagan December 30, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Gorgeous! Looks like a really fun trip.

Jenny December 30, 2009 at 4:38 pm

I love that you two embrace the microbrews in each city. there’s no better way to do it!

Jenna December 30, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Wow San Fran is gorgeous! Don’t worry I was a huge full house fan, I have seen every single episode!
    I think the word eclectic is the new word! It was on last night on tabitha’s makeover and lo from honey nut lo used it yesterday In her post and now you! Ha. Just thought it was interesting!
    Jenna

Neeta December 30, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Hahaha, I don’t usually comment, but I also had to join in with the other posters in applauding the Full House moment. Thanks for sharing, from another Full House fan.

CoreyT December 30, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Glad we could help you fill the time. You’re always welcome back.

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen December 30, 2009 at 6:14 pm

You know, I’ve been to San Francisco a zillion times, and have never seen some of those places. Absolutely gorgeous photos! I’ll take that sweet potato gnocchi any day of the week ;)

Jenny December 30, 2009 at 6:27 pm

OMG total Full House flashback! I need to go to San Fransisco. Like now ;)

julie December 30, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Delfina does have some good pizza, but those lines! It’s always amusing for me to see what tourists find to do in this town, it is a fun place indeed.

Erin @ Big Girl Eats December 30, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Loveeeed Alamo Square and the Palace of Fine Arts when I went there! I just posted a picture of me at the Palace on my blog today too. So awesome!

Rachel December 30, 2009 at 6:58 pm

The Palace of Fine Arts is so beautiful! Don’t be embarrassed by your love of Full House. We all love it ;)

liane December 30, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Ok, I am glad to be counted among the Full House lovers out there. So sad how giddy I got just seeing those houses!

Glad to see you guys had a great time finding new adventures as your travel plans got all mucked around!

Leah December 30, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I LOVED Full House . . . Ok . . . I still watch it when its on.
    Seeing all your pictures is making me want to go to San Francisco so badly!

rungirlrunn December 30, 2009 at 7:38 pm

How beautiful! What a great day trip- and to think it wasn’t even planned!!! oh and I loooved Full House- I could probably quote you every episode ;)

AC December 30, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Hey Tina, I love your blog, I read it everyday. If you like Full House, you should check out my blog, http://www.buddybands.blogspot.com. I write about Saved by the Bell and Full House and shows like that!

Thanks for all your great posts, you have got me hooked on Agave nectar and banana oatmeal!

-AC

Duchess of Fork January 1, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Just found your blog and love it! My hubby and I just got back from San Fran on the 23rd. We visited the Painted Ladies and Golden Gate bridge, as well. Wish we would have known about Palace of Fine Arts…looked gorgeous!