• The Night of Drinking That Wasn’t

November 20, 2009

Remember when attended the RUNWAY Gala with my friend, Jen? Well, we got pretty tipsy that night and made a very generous donation to the Men with Heart organization, which is a wonderful gesture, but we used Jen’s credit card to make it. I offered to give Jen my half of the donation, but we thought it would be much more fun to go out to dinner together– my treat, of course. So, last night was our girls’ night out! :-D

We started girls’ night with a glass of wine at my apartment. Jen and I chatted for about an hour before heading to dinner. I barely made a dent in my glass of wine. I love Oyster Bay’s Chardonnay, but their Sauvignon Blanc was much too sweet for me. Sipping slowly turned out to be a really good idea because the night included a lot more cocktails!

IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0686.JPG

For dinner, we walked over to Salsa’s, an adorable Mexican restaurant right down the street from my apartment.

IMG_0722.JPG

We started with tortilla chips and fresh salsa. I didn’t love the thin consistency of the salsa, but the flavor was excellent and it had a nice spicy kick to it!

IMG_0692.JPG

Then we ordered a round of margaritas on the rocks with salt.

IMG_0709.JPG

The margaritas at Salsa’s are ENORMOUS! I didn’t even come close to finishing the whole thing.

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

For my entree, I ordered the Flutes, which were two flour tortillas filled with tomatoes, onions, garlic, tinga (spicy shredded pork) and fried golden brown. The Flutes were served with fresh salsa, guacamole, and refried beans, which I actually really liked! Who would have guessed?

Even though I ordered the Flutes off the appetizer menu, it was still a huge portion. I took half of it home for dinner tonight.

IMG_0725.JPG

After dinner, Jen and I popped by my apartment to drop off our leftovers and then grabbed the bus to Masa for a tequila tasting by Sauza.

IMG_0727.JPG

The Sauza folks offered 15-minute tastings, featuring 3 Hornitos tequilas.

IMG_0729.JPG

I always thought I was a tequila girl (I love Patron Silver), but I did not enjoy these samples. Each one burned as it went down my throat. :-?

IMG_0731.JPG IMG_0732.JPG IMG_0738.JPG

I thought maybe I just didn’t like drinking the tequila straight-up, so I took the Sauza people up on their offer to try a free mixed drink with one of their featured tequilas.

I tried their pineapple-jalapeño cocktail, but I wasn’t a fan of it either. :-| But, of course, I snapped the typical “sipping a fancy cocktail” photo. :mrgreen: Luckily, my drink didn’t go to waste though– Jen’s friend, Jack, arrived just in time to adopt it as his own. He liked it a lot!

IMG_0744.JPG

All in all, I had an awesome evening with one of my favorite girlfriends– and I didn’t get drunk from all of that booze. I’m so glad that I paced myself and didn’t feel like I had to finish my drinks. I woke up feeling 100% this morning! Love that!

Lots to catch you guys up on. Stay tuned!

Jessica @ How Sweet November 20, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Those flutes look amazing!

Kat (kats daily plate) November 20, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Sounds like so much fun! I just have to say how much I admire your willpower when it comes to eating out. I have trouble (especially when drinking and eating Mexican food) stopping myself and taking half home- I can end up eating it all, even though I don’t need it.
    Do you have any tips on stopping yourself? Thanks, Kat

Scott November 20, 2009 at 2:55 pm

You might still be a tequila girl! Sauza is a very inexpensive tequila – Sauza is to Patron Silver like Bug Light is to Sam Adams. This is no knock on Bud Light but Sauza tequila is NOT for sipping! Patron, Don Julio, Herradura, these are the good tequilas that can be very smooth when sipping straight. With that said, I like vodka!

Leianna November 20, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Look at all those yummy drinks, love all the presentation of them too!
    Have a great cookie Friday!

Tina November 20, 2009 at 2:56 pm

@Scott: Good point, bud! I’m definitely a vodka girl! :)

Meg November 20, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Oyster Bay sav blanc is one of my faves! Though it is pretty sweet. I think I need to try Salsa’s the next time I’m in Beantown!

Marisa (Trim The Fat) November 20, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Mmmmm…tequila! Those margaritas are callin’ my name!

Tasha November 20, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Wow, that’s a lot of alcohol! Was water part of your feel-good morning? I find that keeping hydrated before, after and during drinking helps.

Kristie Lynn November 20, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Oh my goodness that margarita looks so, so good. Seriously, give me a (not fruity flavored ) margarita on the rocks and I am one happy girl :-D

Tina November 20, 2009 at 3:15 pm

@Tasha: Well, I didn’t really drink any of them, so I didn’t even get buzzed.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers November 20, 2009 at 3:24 pm

i see your above comment & have to agree – i’m a vodka girl myself! ;)

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers November 20, 2009 at 3:25 pm

oh & yes, i’m totally double-commenting, but had to add: i like my vodka w/ diet coke. gross… who does that!? yeah, i do.

Leah November 20, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I am most certainly not a tequila girl – it makes me crazy!

Nicole (dishin') November 20, 2009 at 3:30 pm

That margarita looks so good! Especially because I’m sitting at work, ready for the weekend to start!

Kelly Brunemn November 20, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Oh me and tequila are NOT friends! haha!

Off topic…but I posted a recipe on my blog (http://www.myhealthypassion.blogspot.com) that I think you would love, Tina! It is for a White Chicken Chili…perfect cold weather food. (and possibly good hangover food…haha!) Good for you for enjoying yourself!

brandi November 20, 2009 at 3:49 pm

what a fun night! That Mexican place looks great!

Light Delight with TouTou November 20, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Oh Girl’s drinking night! Love that enormous margarita !!!

Tina November 20, 2009 at 3:59 pm
    Kara November 20, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Those flutes look good! And I like the look of the fresh fruit in some of those drinks.

skinnyrunner November 20, 2009 at 4:08 pm

looks like a fun night! and even better that you woke up feeling great!

Allison K November 20, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Ugh that is because Sauza is total crap!

Erin November 20, 2009 at 4:28 pm

That looks delicious but WOW — that’s an appetizer portion?!

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries November 20, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Sounds like so much fun!

And my favorite Mexican restaurant has the most amazing flavored salsa but is also way too thin!

Amanda @ LessonsInModeration November 20, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Glad to see you order a Margarita when you go out for Mexican food. I always end up feeling a little guilty but it’s not a true Mexican food experience without the Margarita. I usually order the flutes off the app menu at Salsa too but I usually polish off the whole thing and the margarita. YIKES!

MelissaNibbles November 20, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Looks like a fun night! I’ve never had tequila. I’m not much of a drinker, but when I do, it’s vodka all the way.
    Your dinner looks like it was very good :)

Carolyn November 20, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Tequila is nobody’s friend! LOL Glad you had a nice night! :)

Sarah November 20, 2009 at 5:20 pm

I can’t do any of the “hard” stuff, I have to stick to wine and even that is a stretch sometimes, I am such a lightweight :)

Jenna November 20, 2009 at 7:43 pm

glad you had a fun night out!
    jenna

Jenn November 20, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Ew Sauza! Gotta do the good stuff!

Go to Mexico. Buy the 4L bottle of $4 tequila. Rest is history.

No but really, it’s all trial and error. My fave (smoothest, least burn, easiest to drink) tequila WAS the $5 4L bottle from Mexico. From WALMART in Mexico nonetheless. Ghetto, yes, but so good haha.

Baroque Diva (Delcious Bytes) November 21, 2009 at 12:17 am

Tina- I LOVE Salsa’s! I never get down to Southie, but the last time I went there they ended up charging me double on my credit car, so they sent me a $20 gift certificate that I never used! I should give it to you for Christmas, if I find it! :) I’m going to try to remember to order off the appetizer menu this week, since I’m working long days way up in Marblehead for the next several weeks.

hampers November 25, 2009 at 12:17 am

OMG….It’s mouth watering. The picture of margaritas at Salsa’s looks great. Being a wine lover, I enjoyed going through your blog.