• Playing Tour Guide

November 28, 2009

Almost caught up!

[rewind to yesterday]

I started Friday morning with the most delicious Golden Crema Latte from the Crema Cafe in Harvard Square. The Golden Crema Latte is made with espresso, milk, honey, and cinnamon. (I had mine made with soy milk.)

It was a perfect beverage for a rainy, gray morning– it warmed me right up!

IMG_1032.JPG IMG_1033.JPG

After a quick pit-stop for coffee, Mal and I met Sibylle and Coleman for a late brunch at Henrietta’s Table.

(You can read my first review of the restaurant here.)

IMG_1035.JPG

Within seconds of sitting down at the table, we were served a warm basket of assorted freshly baked breads. I ate two pieces of the cranberry-walnut bread with butter smeared on top.

IMG_1038.JPG

I also drank a glass of champagne with lunch. Again, I wasn’t planning to drink, but Mal ordered me a glass when everyone placed their orders. I drank the champagne anyway. Oh well, I was on vacation. ;-)

IMG_1043.JPG IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

For lunch, I ordered the Spinach Salad with Roasted Native Apples, Westfield Farm’s Goat Cheese, and served with a Spicy Maple Pecan Vinaigrette on the side. It was an AWESOME salad!

IMG_1054.JPG

Mal also loved his meal. His BLT was loaded with Neuske’s bacon.

IMG_1055.JPG

After brunch, the four of us walked over to Harvard Yard to give Sib and Coleman a quick tour.

IMG_1061.JPG

And then we headed to Fenway for a tour of the park. Mal and I were psyched that Sib and Cole wanted to tour the Fenway because neither of us had ever done it.

IMG_1063.JPG

The tour was SO COOL! I especially loved hanging out in the Press Box. What a view!

IMG_1068.JPG

Our tour guide was fantastic. He was so friendly and knowledgeable– and we all learned a ton! Fenway has such an interesting history!

IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

Seeing the Green Monster up close and personal was a highlight of the tour for me!

IMG_1085.JPG

It’s a life goal of mine to sit on the Green Monster and watch a game.

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

Once the tour ended, we hopped in a cab back to Southie to rescue Murphy from his crate. He had been in there for 6 hours! Poor guy! We felt terrible, so we made sure to give him lots of attention.

IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

We gave Sibylle and Coleman a tour of our apartment and then broke out some Taro Chips to snack on.

IMG_1091.JPG

Sib made us a couple of Black & Blues (Guinness + blueberry beer).

IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1096.JPG

We stayed at our apartment for a few hours before getting hungry for dinner.

IMG_1102.JPG

After much debate, we finally decided on Masa! :-D

I’ve been to Masa 3 times in less than 2 weeks! It’s a good thing I love it so much!

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

Mal and I decided to take advantage of the Black Friday special: 2 course dinner for $25.

IMG_1130.JPG

The first course was a Mixed Organic Field Green Salad with Dry Black Strawberries, which was paired with a glass of Sparkling Rose.

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

The second course was the choice of Yucca Enchiladas with Toasted Black Sesame Seeds or Blackened Rare Ahi Tuna with Yellow Mole. The suggested pairing for both of these courses was a Dark Rum Mojito, which I passed on. I don’t really like dark rum.

Mal and I each ordered one of the entrees and shared with one another.

IMG_1147.JPG

I LOVED both of the dishes. The Ahi Tuna was especially amazing– flavorful, tender. It was probably the best I have ever tasted.

IMG_1154.JPG

For dessert, Mal and I shared the banana-caramel bread pudding. HOLY YUM! I’m glad that Mal shared dessert with me because I probably could have eaten the whole thing myself.

IMG_1155.JPG

After two full days of indulgent eating, I’m SO ready to get back to normal eating!

Melissa (Melissa Likes To Eat) November 28, 2009 at 7:42 pm

That picture of Murphy with his mouth wide open is hilarious. The bread pudding looks fabulous….bread pudding is a new love of mine. I made cinnamon raisin bread pudding for Thanksgiving with homemade whipped cream. Heaven!

Jordan @ Salt Sweat Sugar November 28, 2009 at 7:58 pm

I loveeeeeeeeee bread pudding. I order that or Creme Brulee anytime I see it on any menu.

Katey November 28, 2009 at 8:00 pm

that dessert looks SOOOOOO good. youre making me hungry!

Food Makes Fun Fuel November 28, 2009 at 8:03 pm

That first salad and tehn the ahi tuna, they look so good. And that’s awesome to get a tour of Fenway!

Kelly November 28, 2009 at 8:18 pm

The banana carmel bread pudding looks delicious :) Love the Fenway pics, I miss baseball season already!

Karla November 28, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Taro chips sound interesting! I’ll look out for those.

I’m definitely done with overeating! I need to take a breather from heavy foods!

maria November 28, 2009 at 8:51 pm

:D What an adorable pug!

And the tour of Fenway looks so fun.

Cynthia (It All Changes) November 28, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I would love have a seat on the Green Monster. I might have to make that tour next on my list when I visit Boston again.

Kristie Lynn November 28, 2009 at 9:11 pm

LOVE blueberry beer. Have you ever had it served to you with fresh blueberries in it? Delicious :)

Carolyn November 28, 2009 at 9:16 pm

That cranberry bread looks delicious!! I have to avoid restaurants that give unlimited bread. ;)

Coco November 28, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I cannot wait to get back to Boston and try out one of those Golden Lattes. They sound delish and I’m on such a honey kick right now. Those taro chips are also my fave thing to get when I go to Hawaii. I can’t stop eating them!!
    That ahi dish at MASA is the best! All the flavors are so bold, but work so well together.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Black and blues sound really good. I love blueberry beer.

jenna November 28, 2009 at 10:27 pm

wow!!! Masa looks delishhh :)

Erin November 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Wow, everything looks delicious — that coffee especially looks yummy and cozy. Maybe a local coffeeshop here has something similar…

alison November 28, 2009 at 11:01 pm

$25 is such a great deal for that great-looking meal! mmm

Paige (Running Around Normal) November 28, 2009 at 11:10 pm

You guys are such great hosts! The Fenway Park tour sounds awesome!

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) November 28, 2009 at 11:38 pm

Looks like a fun time- what a cool tour of Fenway!

Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run November 29, 2009 at 12:08 am

That latte sounds divine!

Madeline @ Greens and Jeans November 29, 2009 at 12:31 am

What a great little tour of Boston! That bread pudding looks phenomenal!

Emily Eats and Exercises November 29, 2009 at 1:00 am

Mmmm….bread pudding. What great hosts you were – it’s fun to have a reason to see all the Boston sights when you take guests around. Love all the pictures.

Ameena November 29, 2009 at 1:22 am

Bread pudding…I wish I could have some right now!

Katy H. @ These Beautiful Feet November 29, 2009 at 2:10 am

First of all, that latte, sounds AMAZING!! I LOVE honey, and it just sounds divine. So does that pudding. Holy yum is right. I love Boston, it was one of my favorite vacation destinations ever growing up. It’s a really neat city and I bet living there is awesome. So many interesting places to see/do/eat at! :)

MelissaNibbles November 29, 2009 at 6:17 am

What a fun day! I’ve never been on a tour of Fenway. It looks like a blast. I’ve sat on the green monster…you’re not missing anything. The chairs kill your butt!

candice November 29, 2009 at 9:40 am

What a wonderful assortment of breads! I totally agree with your choice of cranberry-walnut. Very festive. :) That salad sounds mouthwatering—so many delicious, seasonal ingredients! + goat cheese, which makes everything better. And bread pudding, loooove. Enjoy your time indulging while you can ;)

Katie November 29, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I live in MA – I need to hit up some of these amazing food spots!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) November 29, 2009 at 4:40 pm

ah ha – i was wondering what the green monster was (i was just in the jordan’s furniture in reading and they had a big green monster there)

chocolatepickle November 29, 2009 at 10:01 pm

LOVE the cranberry walnut bread at Henrietta’s! YUM- hope you enjoyed it too:)

Bianca Garcia November 30, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Hi Tina, I just started reading your blog (and following your tweets) a couple of months ago – I love it! You really inspire me to be health/healthier :) Anyway I noticed in one picture that the guys are touching John Harvard’s foot… This is a little too late (and I hope you don’t get grossed out) but an insider tip: Don’t Touch John Harvard’s Toe!! Some fratguys (or drunk guys) repeatedly pee on that for initiation (or for kicks) hehe. Glad to read you had an awesome weekend, enjoy the rest of the week!

Miriam November 30, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I went to Harvard Square on my last trip to Boston and got a latte from Crema Cafe. Awesome! So strong (I love strong espresso)! I even have a picture with my coffee and I put it on facebook with a tag : the best coffee in Boston! lol

Cole February 18, 2010 at 10:03 am

Oh man! I got a tour of Fenway two summers ago and it was unbelievable! Your pictures make me want to go back for another!