• Masa, Finally

November 11, 2009

I’ve been wanting to dine at Masa for many months now, so I was psyched when my friend, Jacky, suggested having dinner there with a bunch of our friends last night.

DSC_0004I loved the simple Southwestern decor and the sophisticated, semi-romantic atmosphere of the restaurant. It felt like the type of place where you could just sit and chat for hours with a close friend or your significant other.

DSC_0007

While we waited for our group of 12 to arrive, a few of us caught-up and sipped cocktails by the bar.

DSC_0006

DSC_0009

There was lots of mood lighting! ;-)

DSC_0010

To drink, I ordered a Bloody Masa, which was an 18-ingredient Bloody Mary mix with Sauza Blanco Tequila. It had a serious spicy kick to it! Absolutely amazing! :-D

DSC_0013

Our meal started with delicious bread and homemade spreads. My favorite was the creamy maple one.

IMG_0381

Oh, how I love bread! :mrgreen:

IMG_0386

Mal and I shared 2 tapas plates for dinner: Smoked Chicken Chimichangas with avocado and Roasted Pork Chorizo with fig and manchego cheese.

IMG_0387

IMG_0391

Both were delicious, especially the fig + manchego!

IMG_0397

Masa totally met all of my expectations, but I was a bit bummed about their prices. I felt like the tapas (and entrees) were overpriced for what we got.

I guess I’ll just have to go back for their $5 tapas deal on Thursdays. ;-)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 11, 2009 at 1:57 pm

I love figs so that dish sounds delicious!

Melissa November 11, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Before I read the entire post, I was planning to comment and tell you about the $5 tapas on Thursday night. It’s for the 10 piece appetizer platter and it’s only served in the bar area. There’s usually drink promotions going on that night too. It gets crowded but it’s fun!

There’s also salsa dancing after 10 pm on Thursdays!

Marisa November 11, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I just discovered Masa in Woburn (closer to me since I live in Bedford). I love this place! You need to check it out for brunch! Very good food for a reasonable price.

Doctors' Rheum November 11, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I posted last week about quince and manchego, also a great appetizer http://tiny.cc/x9s2f

Whitney @ Lettuce Love November 11, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Love the food. The restaurant looks wonderful.

MelissaNibbles November 11, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I like the decor and I like tapas. I’ll be checking this place out!

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 11, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I would love to have one of those Bloody Mary Cocktails :)

Madeline @ Greens and Jeans November 11, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I love tapas! The fig one looks incredible!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) November 11, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I love the decor of that restaurant. Looks beautiful. I know what you mean regarding the prices, sometimes I feel like they’re charging you for the ambiance rather than the actual food.

Carolyn November 11, 2009 at 2:36 pm

We have a fantastic Tapas place here, too, but it’s a little pricey so we only go on special occasions or for restaurant week, A lot of good restaurants have closed recently because of the economy, I praying this one makes it. Sounds like a good excuse to go, don’t you think!?

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers November 11, 2009 at 2:40 pm

i think the prices at many tapas restaurants add up quickly! at first it seems like a decent deal, but you need quite a few to fill up!

Liz November 11, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I absolutely love tapas! And those dishes you chose sound delicious :-) Croquettes are very good, too, for the next time you go. Delicious cheesy goodness!

Katie November 11, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Cute place! I don’t know that I’ve been at a tapas restaurant! Not sure KC has one. Think it would fit my personality better though.

linda November 11, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I love how the lettuce served as your centerpiece for dinner. Beautiful. Did you use any special dressing with the lettuce wraps?

Jenna November 11, 2009 at 3:28 pm

glad you enjoyed the food!
    jenna

Bridget November 11, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Love Masa! Their Brunch is really good too! Other than that I’ve only been during restaurant week…equally as delicious! I was so pumped when I found there was a Masa in Woburn :)

on the rocks November 11, 2009 at 3:40 pm

looks fantastic but not very big portions. i would not be full after that!

Tina November 11, 2009 at 3:43 pm

@on the rocks: I wasn’t! I ate some cereal when I got home.

amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 11, 2009 at 3:47 pm

YUM! That is making me hungry. Too bad it was pricey. But $5 tapas on Thursdays sounds great!

Diana November 11, 2009 at 3:59 pm

The restaurant looks beautiful! Nice lighting!
    Diana

Missy Maintains November 11, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Looks delicious! I love tapas! The fig dish looks especially yummy :)

Megan @ Megzz Wins At Life November 11, 2009 at 4:09 pm

mmm looks delish! I love lighting like that :-)

Food Makes Fun Fuel November 11, 2009 at 4:22 pm

That looks so yummy

Karina (Like Some Cat from Japan) November 11, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Wow, such delicious looking food. I love the lighting, so romantic.
    Que Bellesa :)

Nicole November 11, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Life is too short without bread!!

Marisa (Trim The Fat) November 11, 2009 at 5:07 pm

That place looks fantastic! wow, an 18 ingredient Bloody Mary! Who knew?!

Yum to the chimichangas!

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full November 11, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Masa used to have $1 tapas deals a few years ago! I would hit that place up frequently :)

Megan November 11, 2009 at 5:41 pm

I am so confused – what was for dinner last night – lettuce wraps sposored by Viva or Masa – both looked delicious.

Ameena November 11, 2009 at 5:43 pm

The restaurant looks beautiful but I hate it when I leave an expensive place hungry, just ruins the entire experience!

Lizzy November 11, 2009 at 5:48 pm

this place looks sooo awesome. i love when you can go and enjoy a nice place with great food!

Jessica (Sidewalk Theologian) November 11, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Those chimichangas look incredible!

Lauren @ eater not a runner November 11, 2009 at 5:51 pm

The $5 tapas night is TOTALLY worth it. I went with a friend for drinks and tapas and we had a (reasonably priced) blast!

Leah Ben-Ami November 11, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Tina you should know as a former BC girl that Tasca’s on Commonwealth avenue has the best (and most affordable) tapas in the city!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) November 11, 2009 at 6:42 pm

the tapas night definitely sounds like a great alternative…

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) November 11, 2009 at 7:50 pm

That bread looks so yummy! I love tapas, but I’ve been to a couple of tapas restaurants before, and always felt they were pricey for what they are..

Kasey (Fit For Wellness) November 11, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Those tapas look delicious!!!

Cynthia (It All Changes) November 11, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Manchego is the best cheese ever. I can imagine it was heavenly with fig too ;-)

Melissa (Melissa Likes To Eat) November 11, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Yummy looking tapas! Bummer about the prices though. That’s a stinker.

Leigh November 11, 2009 at 8:53 pm

I heard Masa has salsa nights on thursdays– free apps and salsa lessons, could be fun!

jessica November 11, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Wait, so you actually didn’t even have the lettuce wraps sponsored by Viva for dinner last night?

Megan M. (Bites of the Apple) November 12, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I love Masa, but my fave Boston restaurant is still Pops. Their butternut squash ravioli w/ an egg is maybe the best thing I’ve ever eaten. MMMMM.