• A Night of Good Eats

November 22, 2009

What a delicious Sunday night dinner! I whipped up a big batch of pasta with all of the fixings and baked a yummy batch of cookies with enormous chunks of dark chocolate for dessert. It was a night of good eats! ๐Ÿ˜€

For dinner, I started by cooking a package of whole wheat and ground flaxseed linguine from Nella Pasta.

And then I combined leftover sausage, spinach, and marinara from last night’s pizza dinner to create a hearty meat sauce. I amped up its nutrient profile by throwing in some fresh spinach that blended right into the sauce.

I decreased the nutritiousness of the meal by adding a piece of Texas Garlic Toast. Texas Toast tastes frickin’ amazing, but the ingredient list is so scary! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ Oh well, eating one piece won’t kill me– and it was SO worth it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I ate dinner in front of the TV while watch the Pats with the guys. I snapped a pic of dinner on the kitchen counter before plopping down on the couch.

And, for dessert: Chocolate-Almond Butter Cookies!!! :mrgreen:

After my cookie mishap last week, I decided to utilize a plate for my dessert. The physical act of putting cookies to a plate and eating them one at a time, definitely helped me pace myself and satisfy my sweet tooth after just 3 cookies– instead of a the whole batch!

Chocolate-Almond Butter Cookies

Makes approximately 36 cookies

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup sour cream
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1 stick butter, softened
    • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks (I broke a Scharffen Berger bar into pieces)
    • 1/2 cup sliced almonds

• Preheat oven to 350*F.
    • Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until batter is blended evenly.
    • Use a tablespoon to portion cookies on a greased baking sheet, approximately 1-2 inches apart.
    • Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes.
    • Remove cookies from baking sheet and allow to cool on wire rack.
    • Eat and enjoy!

Amazing cookies! Seriously, they are AWESOME! But, they’re awesome because they have a TON of sugar and a whole stick of butter in them. They’re definitely the type of cookies that you bake and share with others! I’m glad that the guys are eating them while they watch the game– otherwise, I’d devour them myself!

I can’t believe the weekend is just about over. It flew by! Enjoy the last few hours! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Mastering Public Health November 22, 2009 at 8:09 pm

That pasta looks so unique. And that garlic bread ingredient list IS scary, but, oh well — you enjoyed it! Good idea about plating the cookies, too: I always find that taking a portion, plating it (thereby visualizing it = mental satisfaction), and then putting the rest away is much better than just “digging” into a bottomless container/bag, etc.

Food Makes Fun Fuel November 22, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Great recipe!
    And that pasta sounds FANTASTIC. That’s Murphy’s friend’s owners company? right? Is it available around Boston easily?

legalstyle November 22, 2009 at 8:11 pm

This is TOO funny… I would never have expected a food blogger to be eating texas toast, but I literally had an internal WAR with myself in the freezer aisle a few weeks ago. I LOVE THIS STUFF but it’s, as you said, a bit scary. You may have just given me the go-ahead that I needed to purchase it, though.

thanks :) :) :)

Amy November 22, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Texas Toast is my guilty pleasure too.

Worst part is, they just started carrying it at Costco in ginormous portions! :)

Madeline @ Greens and Jeans November 22, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Those cookies look truly amazing! I just whipped up some of your sweet potato cookies and they were a total success! My boyfriend says to tell you “thank you!”

candice November 22, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Oh man, I used to eat Texas Toast all the time… especially the parmesan kind <3 Those cookies look AND sound amazing! Good eats ๐Ÿ˜‰

jamie November 22, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Garlic bread is so easy to make and tastes so much better: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/garlic-bread-recipe/index.html
    Plus no scary ingredients and I use a whole wheat baguette to make it more nutritionally sound.

Lauren @ eater not a runner November 22, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Those cookies look awesome (with sour cream in them too!) I like baking things like that when I have a group to eat them….otherwise I will polish off the whole batch!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) November 22, 2009 at 8:29 pm

great day of eats, tina – looks like you had a lovely sunday!

Jenna November 22, 2009 at 8:32 pm

texas toast is OH so gooood! those chocolate almond butter cookies look soooo yummy :)

Lisa November 22, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Ooooh those cookies look fantastic! I have never heard of adding sour cream though…interesting!

Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) November 22, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Love the texas toast shout out – that stuff IS good :-)

do the cookies have almond butter in them? or just almonds and butter?

laura dishes November 22, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I’ve never had texas toast- it looks really good!

The “put it on a plate” tip is a great one… that way, you know what you’re working with and it’s much more enjoyable! :)

Susan (All Things In Moderation) November 22, 2009 at 8:53 pm

I personally love texas toast ! Like you said, once in a while it won’t hurt you !

ashleigh November 22, 2009 at 8:56 pm

that sounds like a great recipe! i don’t know how you do it… I just tried to make some cookies with some random things I had on hand and OMG gross! i ended up throwing them out!

Tina November 22, 2009 at 8:58 pm

@ashleigh: It’s all about the batter! If the batter tastes good, the final product will likely taste good too! :)

Katy @ These Beautiful Feet November 22, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I know it’s preservatives and such but I wonder why the need for SO many hard-to-understand ingredients?? Is it REALLY necessary? I don’t know, but yes Texas toast is super yummy! Those cookies sound divine!! Yummm!

Leigh November 22, 2009 at 8:59 pm

So glad you enjoyed it! Our pasta is available for special order, just check out our blog at nellapasta.wordpress.com. We also have some fun holiday gift ideas so check it out!
    Thanks Tina!

MelissaNibbles November 22, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Oh, Texas Toast is sent from heaven!

Naomi November 22, 2009 at 9:03 pm

never had texas toast!! looks like buttery deliciousness…I am all about moderation…you MUST treat yourself once in a while :) it looks fabulous…as do those cookies!!

Naomi November 22, 2009 at 9:04 pm

annddd GO PATS!!

Scorpio Woman November 22, 2009 at 9:06 pm

These cookies look very yummy. Thanks for the recipe :)

Kim November 22, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Another cookie that I may just have to make! YUM! I made the sweet potato cookies the other day….YUM!

Cynthia (It All Changes) November 22, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I had to run errands this afternoon and missed the Pats game. Darn it. It’s usually one of the highlight of sunday afternoon :-)

Jordan @ Salt Sweat Sugar November 22, 2009 at 9:39 pm

I will only use high quality chocolate in my baking. Good choice, mama!

Erin November 22, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Those cookies sound so decadent and delicious. Wow!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 22, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Cookies with tons of butter and sugar are the best! :)

Dave Mulder November 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Those cookies look awesome! An you’re right, that Texas Toast ingredient list really does look scary. Eek!

Hillary (Nutrition Nut on the Run) November 22, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Are the cookies sitting on your kitchen counter? So pretty whatever it is : )

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers November 22, 2009 at 10:28 pm

texas toast is DELISH and deliciously scary. i think it’s worth charting into unknown territory every now & then for something so tasty.

Kelly November 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm

I absolutely love this blog. Thanks for a very real look into a very healthy lifestyle, indulgences included! It’s so nice to see someone who is working hard to stay healthy AND balanced!! I love the photos and the content, and I’m totally inspired! Keep up the great work…and I can’t wait to try the cookies!!

Karla November 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Those cookies look amazing!
    I made some cookies tonight too, pumpkin chocolate chip!

Kara November 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm

I know what you mean– my boyfriend gets mad when I make cookies because he ends up eating them all! I used to live with a lot of roommates and would share the wealth!

Jessie November 22, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I love your bowl! And I can’t wait to try to make those cookies. Maybe tomorrow as a secal treat for my coworkers.

Kris November 22, 2009 at 11:05 pm

I have to admit…I’ve never succumbed to the Texas Toast, but it has been a close call MANY times. Now, seeing your photo of the TT…I don’t think I’ll win my internal battle the next time around. It looks delish!

diana(mymarblerye) November 22, 2009 at 11:15 pm

if i move to boston can we be best friends? can i eat all your food? let me know!

Elina November 22, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I made cookies tonight too and my batch had 1.5 sticks of butter… and I made them large so that 1 would satisfy me, but they are too delicious to stop at just one. Oops. Sounds like a fun night and great eats! ๐Ÿ˜€

Courtney November 23, 2009 at 12:26 am

I’ve had that garlic Texas Toast and I know how addicting it can be! Good job on just the one piece! That garlicky, buttery taste gets me every time!

ellen eats beets November 23, 2009 at 12:57 am

mmm Chocolate-Almond Butter. What a fabulous combination!

Tamzin November 23, 2009 at 5:40 am

Wow those cookies look so good! x x

Shannon November 23, 2009 at 7:19 am

I’ve never had Texas Toast, but just looking at it, I know I would love it!

Baked goods are my number one weakness! Good job moderating this batch!

Nicole (dishin') November 23, 2009 at 10:47 am

I love Texas Toast too! Not the best nutritionally but definitely worth the splurge!!

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) November 23, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Mmm, yummy looking cookies!

Laura November 23, 2009 at 8:46 pm

i made the cookies for my roommate and me tonight! they’re unusual (i used nonfat yogurt rather than sour cream, which gave them a nice tang) and really buttery and delicious! we’ve each eaten a bunch!

Marn November 24, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I’m also a Nella Pasta fan. Had it at a very swank catered party and am now addicted! Where can I get it?

Tina November 24, 2009 at 2:21 pm

@Marn: Check out the link in my post! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gem Scales March 9, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I’m a huge pasta fan. I remember in high school every Friday before the football game the coaches would take us to Olive Garden to eat spaghetti. I loved that part of the day.