• Tucker’s Bistro

October 4, 2009

Last night, my hubby, in-laws, and I had dinner at Tucker’s Bistro in Newport. A couple of my blog readers recommended it, and because it’s a French-inspired bistro, I thought my in-laws would absolutely love it.

IMG_8434.JPG

From the outside, Tucker’s looked adorable with lots of hanging white lights, vibrant colors, and charming flower boxes.

IMG_8436.JPG

Inside, the decor was interesting and eclectic, and the atmosphere was relaxed and romantic.

IMG_8469.JPG

The bar area of the restaurant had a retro feel to it with a funky display of old liquor bottles and barware inside a scarlet-lit glass cabinet.

The table accessories, like the salt and pepper shakers and small lamps, were mismatched between the tables and added to the diverse style of the restaurant.

IMG_8478.JPG IMG_8480.JPG

The walls were painted a deep red and overlaid with gold-framed mirrors and oil paintings. The artwork covered the walls from floor to ceiling.

IMG_8500.JPG

IMG_8457.JPG IMG_8498.JPG

IMG_8507.JPG IMG_8515.JPG

We started dinner with a round of cocktails. I ordered a glass of Chardonnay, but, for such a nice place, I was surprised by the limited selection of wines. :-?

IMG_8481.JPG

Our waiter noticed that I had the “special” wine glass– the only one of its kind in the restaurant. I had no clue what he was talking about until later in the night. Check out the warped rim! It’s sort of cool, right?

IMG_8487.JPG

After toasting to some good news ( ;-) ), French bread was served to the table in a colorful beaded basket.

IMG_8489.JPG

I was starving, so I dug right in. I ate 2 pieces, each with a smear of butter.

IMG_8496.JPG

For my entree, I ordered the night’s featured special: Roasted B-Line Snapper. The dish was served with sunflower seed risotto, swiss chard, braised radishes, heirloom tomatoes, and a garlic vinaigrette.

IMG_8516.JPG

The dish sound delicious, doesn’t it?

Well, it actually didn’t taste that great. The meal was incredibly SALTY! Not like, ‘Oh, this meal is really salty,’ but ‘This meal is so salty, I can’t eat it.” Seriously, it was not edible.

I loved the idea of sunflower seed risotto, but it was just LOADED with salt. I had a few bites, but I didn’t really enjoy them. The snapper tasted okay, but it was sort of dry and super salty as well. I ate all of the veggies though!

IMG_8517.JPG

Unfortunately, our dining experience at Tucker’s wasn’t what we had hoped. My in-laws weren’t happy with their meals either, and the service was incredibly slow. The restaurant was really busy, but even still, it took a good 90 minutes from the time we sat down for our meals to be served to us. And, for what we paid (holy expensive!!!), it was not a stellar dining experience.

Luckily, when we got home, my in-laws had some yummy edible presents for us from their recent trip to Paris. Jeff de Bruges chocolate!!! :mrgreen:

IMG_8519.JPG

Mal and I each enjoyed a chocolate before heading to bed. Omg, they were delicious!

IMG_8525.JPG

Despite our sub-par dining experience, I had a wonderful time with my husband and my in-laws. We chatted the night away and enjoyed a few laughs. And, of course, the Jeff de Bruges chocolate was an amazing way to end the evening!

Madeline @ Greens and Jeans October 4, 2009 at 11:10 am

I’m sorry your meal was such a disappointment! I’ve been to Tucker’s once and it was pretty lack luster. At least you got to finish the day with delicious chocolate! Enjoy the rest of your time in Rhode Island!

amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 4, 2009 at 11:24 am

Can’t wait to hear about the good news :)

Diana October 4, 2009 at 11:25 am

It’s a shame that your experience wasn’t that good. The place looks cool though.
    And those chocolates! :)

VeggieGirl October 4, 2009 at 11:27 am

LOVE that beaded bowl!! Sorry about the meal though :(

Amy October 4, 2009 at 11:27 am

What happened because you had the warped wine glass?

kay (eating machine) October 4, 2009 at 11:40 am

that place looks really cute! too bad you had a lame ime :-(

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 4, 2009 at 11:46 am

Thats a shame the meal wasn’t that great, but I love the inside of the restaurant

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries October 4, 2009 at 11:46 am

It’s so cool in there. I loved restaurants with interesting decor–but hate when they don’t live up to their hype (and price tag!) Sorry about the meal; hope the wine was good :)

Food Makes Fun Fuel October 4, 2009 at 11:50 am

Aww that restaurant looked like it had so much potential. But 90 minutes from sitting to eating is not acceptable

Leah October 4, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I *hate* it when you end up at an expensive restaurant recommended to you are leave disappointed and a bit poorer. Worst feeling ever. I probably would have sent my meal back if it wasn’t edible. Especially when you have to pay an arm and a leg. That is just unacceptable.

Martha October 4, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Ahhh I can’t wait to hear your good news! And see more pics of Murphy.. chocolate makes any meal better, right?

Lizzy October 4, 2009 at 12:29 pm

what a complete bummer that your meal wasn’t all it was cracked up to be! But with good company i’m sure you enjoyed your eveing! Those Paris Chocolate’s sure probably helped! :)

Molly October 4, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Oh no!! I’m so sorry your Tucker’s experience was not great. I feel partly responsible since I recommended it to you. But I promise I’ve never had a terrible meal there. Hope the rest of your time in Newport is better!!

Lindsay October 4, 2009 at 12:38 pm

That place looks really cute! I’m sorry about your terrible experience.

sue October 4, 2009 at 12:44 pm

i love the decor in the restaurant- too bad the meal was no good :(

Lee October 4, 2009 at 12:57 pm

What a disappointment! I hate it when that happens. Did you get anything for the special wine glass? It sounded like you might get a prize for having it.

Jacqueline October 4, 2009 at 1:13 pm

What a bummer, but you always seem to make the best of these kind of situations.
    Can’t wait to find out what your celebrating! :)

Marisa (Trim The Fat) October 4, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Oh, I hate when I get a bad meal that costs a fortune!

Yay for the chocolate!

angieinatlanta October 4, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Oh man, I’m sorry to hear about your poor meal! That sucks!

But those chocolates look like they redeemed the night!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) October 4, 2009 at 2:33 pm

too bad it didn’t taste good – it looks like such a fun place!

Karina (Like Some Cat from Japan) October 4, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Too bad the food wasn’t as good as the place’s atmosphere :(

Tina October 4, 2009 at 3:16 pm

That’s such a bummer when something so unique seems like it’ll taste good! But I gotta say, that beaded basket was sweet!

Jenna October 4, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Oh no!!! I’m sorry about the bad experience :( At least everything LOOKED good, lol.

Jenna October 4, 2009 at 3:37 pm

the chocolate seemed to make up for the bad dinner!
    jenna

Pamela October 4, 2009 at 4:35 pm

have you announced your big surprise yet?

K October 4, 2009 at 5:04 pm

That restaurant has a cool ambiance but it’s too bad about the meal! I can’t wait to hear what the big surprise is!

maria October 4, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Sorry your dining experience wasn’t great. I hate when you hear,”Oh you have to try such and such restaurant. It is the best. Such good food…” And then you go and it sucks. :(

Elina October 4, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Uh, I hate when fancy restaurants are not absolutely perfect. It’s not an excuse that the restaurant is busy. They need to be prepared for that (and I’m sure most people make reservations for places like that so it’s not like they became unexpectedly busy). I want to know the good news!!!!!!!! Can I have a preview email/text as a bloggie friend? lol ;)

Jaci October 4, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Bummer about the restaurant!! I hope we get to hear this good news soon :)

Kristine October 4, 2009 at 7:46 pm

ahh you are killing me! When are you going to announce your news???

Jess October 4, 2009 at 8:04 pm

I went to URI for my undergrad and know Newport well. Your pictures make me miss it so much! Some of my favorite restaurants are The Mooring, 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar & Grille, and Scales and Shells. They are all pricey but I promise you they are all worth it!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) October 4, 2009 at 8:11 pm

I’m so sorry that your food was so lackluster. It’s terrible when food comes so over-salted. I am so eager to hear your news, I’ve been waiting with bated bread!

Ali October 4, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Tina-
    It looks like you had an awesome weekend! I can’t wait to hear about your news, I am constantly checking for updates (obsess-much?!)

I was wondering if you would take some time and comment on this post? I know you have TONS of posts to get through but it would be very appreciated!

thank yoU!

Sarah October 6, 2009 at 8:36 am

Gosh, there is nothing worse than food that is too salty. Except maybe food that is too buttery. Ick. Sorry it wasn’t that great, but the decor sure was neat, I love the bread basket. I seriously can’t wait to hear your good news!!