October 23, 2009

What a night! Cocktails, dinner and a fashion show– all to benefit a great cause!

The RUNWAY Gala was held at the InterContinental Hotel Boston. It was a night of fashion in support of breast health care, benefiting the Faulkner-Sagoff Centre at Faulkner Hospital.

About The Faulkner-Sagoff Breast Imaging and Diagnostic Centre:

The Faulkner-Sagoff Breast Imaging and Diagnostic Centre provides a patient-centered approach to breast cancer detection and prevention, making it one of the leading centers for breast health care in New England and in the country. In the decades since its establishment in 1971, the Centre has cared for well over 100,000 women. What makes the Faulkner-Sagoff Centre unique, however, is not the number of patients seen, but the exceptional care they receive.

My date for the evening was my good friend, Jen.

The event started with a cocktail reception in the foyer outside of the main ballroom.

I opted for a glass of Chardonnay, but don’t these rock candy martinis look so fun!?!

There were also TONS of yummy-looking passed appetizers.

IMG_9523.JPG IMG_9525.JPG

After my experience at The Vintage Press, I mindfully paced myself and selected the best-looking appetizer of the bunch instead of just grabbing the first one that I saw.

I decided on a wonderful tuna-seaweed-wonton with a wasabi mayo sauce. Delish!

Displayed around the reception area were all sorts of gorgeous dresses.

IMG_9528.JPG IMG_9532.JPG

IMG_9544.JPG IMG_9545.JPG

A bunch of celebrities from the fashion world attended the event, including Gretchen Monahan (below), a style expert on the Rachael Ray Show and co-host of Tim Gunn¹s Guide to Style and Project Runway alum Emmett McCarthy and Kevin Christiana. It was cool seeing them in person!

After mingling during the cocktail hour, we headed into the ballroom for dinner. The room was gorgeous!

I loved the sewing-theme center pieces. Adorable!

The meal started with a salad:

CRISP Bibb and Red Oak Salad ACCESSORIZED with Stilton, Poached Pear, Tossed Pecans, Sundried Cherries, Blueberries, and DRESSED with a Port Reduction Vinaigrette.

And some white wine.

While eating our salads, a live auction took place on stage. Charles Bailey-Gates auctioned-off the most amazing prizes, including a vacation package to New York City during Fashion Week via private jet!

The evening honored Men with Heart, a group of men committed to fighting breast cancer. They are husbands, sons, fathers, and brothers who are doing something constructive rather than resigning to helplessness in the fight against breast cancer.

I chatted with a guy from Men with Heart, who did the Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk and carried a backpack full of every possible supply imaginable that a woman might need for the walk. He and a bunch of other men wore special backpacks that let women know that they could get supplied from them. He also said the walk was one of the most inspiring things he has ever done.

And then… MY CAMERA DIED!!! GAH! I’m the worst blogger ever!!!

Thankfully, I had my iPhone with me, so I continued to snap photos. They’re not pretty, but hopefully, you get the idea!

The entree:

FASHION FORWARD FILET of Beef Tenderloin, topped with STYLISH Shiitake Mushrooms and Sundried Tomato Potato Herb Biscuit and FRESH Vegetables.

After dinner, it was time for the fashion show, which previewed the works of 5 of Boston’s up and coming young designers from the School of Fashion Design. I liked most of the designs, but some of them almost seemed too over-the-top and costume-y to me. But, I really don’t know anything about fashion!

At the end of the show, the celebrity judges provided feedback on each of the collections and voted for the best one.

Dessert was, of course, my favorite part of the meal!

COUTURE cupcakes provided by Sweet, inspired by the School of Fashion Design student creations.

Jen and I had a blast!!!

Thanks, Colleen, for inviting me! I really enjoyed myself! What an amazing event for a wonderful cause!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 23, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Wow this fashion show looks like something else. The ballroom does look very elegant. And the cupcakes? Yum. However, I must say my most favorite part would be the rock candy martinis. :) I wish you would have had one so you could write about it.

Devin @ springpad October 23, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Tina – Looked like a beautiful event! I love the Intercontinental and Sweet cupcakes are the best :)

Julie @savvyeats October 23, 2009 at 1:38 pm

This looks like so much fun! My favorite restaurant has something like the rock candy martinis, but I’ve never tried one yet!

Allyson October 23, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Oh yarn centerpieces!! I love it. I’ll have to remember that for … when I need a centerpiece idea? That doesn’t happen too often, I guess :)

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries October 23, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Looks like it was an incredible gala! And for such a worthy cause :)

And gaaaah that seaweed tuna thing!

Britt @ Runnerbelle October 23, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Fun! Looks like a tastey and stylish night. Great cause too!

christie @ honoring health October 23, 2009 at 1:44 pm

I love those centerpieces, how creative. Looks like it was a wonderful event, I’m glad you had such a great time!

Marisa (Trim The Fat) October 23, 2009 at 1:47 pm

A fantastic evening for a great cause! The room was gorgeous and I loved the centerpieces – so fun!

Jenna October 23, 2009 at 1:55 pm

wow tina! what a great night! the food and place both look amazinggg 😉

Felicia October 23, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Rock candy martinis! Too fun. I’m also kind of loving that gold dress…

It looks and sounds like it was a wonderful event.

K October 23, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Those cupcakes! I love them! What a great event for such a wonderful cause :)

Carolyn October 23, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Wow, you’ve been a busy lady, lately! That events looks like so much fun and for such a great cause. :)

Janna (Just Flourishing) October 23, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Looks like such a glam night. I am so jealous… I love fashion shows!

Also, I enjoy how you make that winky face in your pictures. Haha.

MelissaNibbles October 23, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Oh my gosh! I’m so jealous! I hate shopping, but I love fashion and truly appreciate it for the art it is. I had the opportunity to meet Greta a few years ago at her store on Newbury (not sure if it’s still there). She was so kind and full of fun tips!
    I’m glad you got to go and support this great cause. It looked like a blast!

lora October 23, 2009 at 2:17 pm

beautiful pics tina! love fashion…especially fashionable food :)

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) October 23, 2009 at 2:19 pm

That looks like a fantastic night & event. I love your scarf – a great color on you! The food looks amazing as well, I love tuna and whenever they have it at events I always snatch it up.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers October 23, 2009 at 2:20 pm

how cool! you always seem to go to the coolest events!

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) October 23, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Looks like such a fun night!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 23, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Wow, it looks like a great time for a great cause.

Stephanie October 23, 2009 at 2:28 pm

what an amazing night! :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) October 23, 2009 at 2:32 pm

What a great event for a great cause. I love the story of the Men fighting breast cancer. They are awesome!

skinnyrunner October 23, 2009 at 2:49 pm

wow that looks amazing! the uplighting is incredible, all the beautiful colors. and fashion celebrities!!! amazing. period.

Estela @ Weekly Bite October 23, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Wow, what a great evening! And for such a great cause too!

those rock candy martinis look like they’re right up my ally 😉

Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life October 23, 2009 at 3:30 pm

The decor is so beautiful!

Food Makes Fun Fuel October 23, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Lovely looking night. I still need to get my hands on some Sweet cupcakes

Ali (food, fitness, fashion) October 23, 2009 at 4:03 pm

That event looks sooooooo fun! Thanks for sharing!

Pam October 23, 2009 at 4:04 pm

That looked like one cool event! I love those colors…WOW!

Nicole (dishin') October 23, 2009 at 4:30 pm

What a great event. I love the centerpieces and the colors of the room. And, of course, the cupcakes look delicious.

Lizzy October 23, 2009 at 4:33 pm

This looks like so much fun, and for such a great cause too! my favorite of it all are the center pieces for sure! :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) October 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm

LOVE the intercontinental hotel what a georgeous seting for this event! you and jen look like you had a great time! those sweet cupcakes look great!

maria October 23, 2009 at 5:46 pm

A good cause and a fashion show with awesome food? How can you lose? Sounds like an awesome event and evening to me!

Paige@ Running Around Normal October 23, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Looks like so much fun! I love the centerpieces.

Kristen @ frostingandfroth.com October 23, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Those Men with Heart ROCK! How awesome are they?!?

Lynn (The Actors Diet) October 23, 2009 at 7:32 pm

the pin cushion centerpieces are adorable! thank goodness for iphone cameras!

Melissa (Melissa Likes To Eat) October 23, 2009 at 7:55 pm

I think cupcakes are my favorite dessert ever. Looks like a really fun event!!!

Shannon October 23, 2009 at 8:25 pm

sounds like a great night :)

BroccoliHut October 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm

What a fabulous event! Love the rock candy:)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 24, 2009 at 9:53 am

whoa Tina you are always so glam, getting to go to these cool parties.

Jenny @JennyLikesToRun, On a mission to run a marathon to raise money for the Breast Cancer Foundation October 24, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Wow, looks like you had an amazing time! The event looks absolutely beautiful. And the dessert looks divine :)
    Sounds like a fabulous night!

Diana October 24, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Wow, that looks like it was an awesome and different night. :) Glad you had fun!