• Rainy Day in New York City

October 28, 2009

It was a rainy day in New York City! Oh, yes it was!

(Check out the Hotel Broadway Plaza sign in the background. Mal and I stayed there when we got engaged!)

I didn’t stop raining until I was about to leave!

Despite the icky weather, I had a wonderful day in the city– and both of my meetings went well! :mrgreen:

My first meeting included lunch at Blue Smoke, a restaurant that serves authentic barbeque cuisine and comfort food favorites.

I loved the decor inside Blue Smoke: upscale Southern barbeque with a modern twist.

IMG_9952.JPG IMG_9954.JPG

Our meal started with a couple of buckets of Warm Barbeque Potato Chips for the table to share. I ate so many of them! They were the best potato chips ever!!!

For lunch, I ordered the Baby Beet & Arugula Salad, which was served with a house-smoked goat cheese and toasted sunflower seeds. The beets were amazing, but I didn’t care much for the goat cheese. It reminded me of whipped butter– soft, moist, and lacking a strong favor like goat cheese normally does. Maybe it wasn’t goat cheese?

For some reason, I’ve always associated barbeque with huge portions of food, so I was happy to see that my salad was of “normal” size. It was the perfect amount.

Mmmmm… beets! 😀

After lunch, I headed to my second meeting of the day at Open Sky. You’ll be hearing more about Open Sky in the coming weeks!

I’ve been talking on the phone with these guys for months now, so it was great to finally meet the team and put a name with a face.

Taking a recommendation from the Open Sky folks, I headed over to the Ace Hotel to relax and get some work done. I received over 100 emails this morning, so I had a lot of catching up to do!

Stumptown Coffee Roasters is located inside the hotel, and considering the line out the door, it seemed like pretty popular place! The service, however, was really slow and there was no coffee brewed when I went to place my order. The barista offered to make me an Americano, but I ordered a cappaccino instead. Bad timing, I guess? 😕

There were a lot of things that I loved about Stumptown:

I really liked the outfits that the baristas wore. They reminded me of the 1920’s swing-era style with their cool vests, suspenders, and fedoras.

And my cappuccino was to die for! Check out the pair of hearts etched into the froth!

My cappuccino was one of the best I have ever had! The espresso had a wonderful caramel aftertaste. It reminded me of the espresso I drank in Venice! Holy yum!!!

IMG_9985.JPG IMG_9987.JPG

There isn’t any seating inside the Stumptown cafe, so I took my decaf, soy, cappuccino into the hotel lobby and got down to business.

The hotel’s Breslin Lobby Bar is SO COOL! 😎 The space reminds me of an old library– like something you would find at Harvard. Unfortunately, the dim lighting made it difficult to so snap photos.

The lobby seemed like the perfect place to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee or do some work on your laptop. A long study table divided the lobby and gave off very collegiate feel. I felt right at home typing away on my computer and sipping my cappuccino.

Plans with my college friends fell through, so I took an earlier train back to Boston. I didn’t have much time for dinner, so I grabbed a veggie panini at Penn Station. I wasn’t sure what to expect from a train station eatery, but the panini was pretty fantastic! It had tons of grilled veggies and plenty of cheese– I think it was Jalsberg.

For dessert, I grabbed a bag of almond M&M’s to take with me on the train. I almost wish I had purchased a second bag!

I’m absolutely pooped from my whirlwind day to New York and back, but it was well worth it. I love NYC and I cannot wait to go back again! Mal and I haven’t been down since last December, so I’m ready for a mini vaca! 😉

I’m off to bed. I hope Murphy lets me sleep in a little tomorrow!

Good night!

Leianna October 28, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Looks like you had an awesome day with minus the rain!
    The panini and m & m’s look the best!

emily - eatventures October 29, 2009 at 12:00 am

Glad you had a good visit, I love nyc so much!

Mastering Public Health October 29, 2009 at 12:21 am

Didn’t even know they made almond M&M’s — what a good idea. Exciting day! I, too, would have appreciated the rain stopping here in New York today….

Madeline @ Greens and Jeans October 29, 2009 at 12:34 am

I’m adding that coffee shop on my list of things to do the next time I’m out there!

Rebecca October 29, 2009 at 12:42 am

That cappuccino look amazing! I love the city too! I’m spoiled having lived right outside of it all my life. Now that I live further away, I miss it A LOT!

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) October 29, 2009 at 12:42 am

I’ve never been to NYC as an adult – only a couple times when I was very small – so I must make a trip! Sounds like a great whirlwind trip & the coffee looks delicious.

maria October 29, 2009 at 12:47 am

Those chips look like heaven in a bucket. I bet I could devour the whole thing by myself!

Janet October 29, 2009 at 1:09 am

Fun! I’ve stayed at the Ace hotel in both Portland and Seattle and like it a lot!

Susie October 29, 2009 at 2:09 am

Stumptown started out as a local coffee roasting place in Portland, OR and one of the owners moved to NY and opened a shop there! hehe, i’m makeing the west coast/east coast connection >_<

Diana October 29, 2009 at 3:30 am

I’m glad your meetings went well! .)
    One of my dreams is definitely going to NYC, so I’m a little jealous 😉

That panini looks great!

Ednabucket October 29, 2009 at 4:54 am

I can’t imagine New York being a train ride away!

Loving the look of those chips – yum!

christie @ honoring health October 29, 2009 at 6:13 am

I’m glad your meetings went well!

All of your eats looks awesome!

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) October 29, 2009 at 6:19 am

Glad you had fun in NYC! I live close to that hotel with the fab coffees shop!

Shannon October 29, 2009 at 6:41 am

Sounds like a great and productive day!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 29, 2009 at 6:47 am

I love NYC, too. Glad you enjoyed your day. :)

Lizzy October 29, 2009 at 7:10 am

looks like an awesome time despite the rain! :) glad you enjoyed!

eatmovelove October 29, 2009 at 7:23 am

That cappuchino is beautiful! Yes, it was raining here all day too :( But looks like you had a great day! And yes…one bag of M&M’s is NOT enough!! I started my own blog awhile ago – check it out if you can – and add me to your Roll if you like it!?? I love getting great readers and finding new sites :)

Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 29, 2009 at 7:26 am

NYC is my favorite place in the world. Every single day is a great day! Glad you had a fun trip :)

Anne P October 29, 2009 at 7:30 am

ummmm hello Open Sky dude in the light blue button down shirt… you are hot :)

Emily Eats and Exercises October 29, 2009 at 7:36 am

Sounds like a great if brief trip. I love visiting NY (and it helps that I have a free place to crash with my brother and tons of friends) but I definitely don’t want to live there permanently. The acella actually makes it okay for such a whirlwind visit. (Unlike the Chinatown bus – have you taken that before?)

Bonniejean October 29, 2009 at 7:48 am

I think maybe that’s a pumpkin in your cappuccino froth. ‘Tis the season! And I agree, the chips look like heaven!

Paige@ Running Around Normal October 29, 2009 at 7:50 am

I think it’s raining everywhere in the country right now! Ick! Glad you had a good time. I’m sitting here drooling over that cappucino 😉

john caplan October 29, 2009 at 7:58 am

it was great to have you come by and visit with us at OpenSky world HQ. We’re really thrilled to be partnering with you. Great things ahead for us all!

dianacheung October 29, 2009 at 8:03 am

I HEART new york city. Great restaurants everywhere and you can just FEEL the atmosphere! Loved your pics.

Felicia (Bites of the Apple) October 29, 2009 at 8:19 am

I mentioned this when Jenna went there during her last trip to NYC, but Blue Smoke is one of my favorite restaurants in the city! Big fan. 😉

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries October 29, 2009 at 8:23 am

OMG so excited that you got to experience Blue Smoke bbq chips!!!! The best!

Amanda @ Cakes and Ale October 29, 2009 at 8:24 am

Love working from coffee shops… it’s so fun to feel kind of anonymous and mysterious, no?!

Erika October 29, 2009 at 8:25 am

Glad you enjoyed NYC; that coffee house looks adorable! I was eyin’ that cappuchino!

Lauren October 29, 2009 at 8:46 am

So sorry you had to contend with the icky weather here yesterday–still, while it may be drier today, it’s actually colder! However, so glad you enjoyed Blue Smoke! I have been there several times for birthdays, get-togethers, etc., and it never ceases to impress me! Such a creative and eclectic variety of foods there. I don’t eat red meat (or much meat at all), but I can always manage to find something very delicious and satisfying there.

Glad that your trip went well!

Lauren October 29, 2009 at 8:49 am

Oh, and Zaro’s (I noticed the name on your sandwich bag) is pretty much always a good choice when you need to get food in Penn Station! They have very good wraps and salads. I’ve never gotten one of their paninis before, but the one you purchased looks delicious.

Lindsey October 29, 2009 at 9:21 am

Such a yucky day here yesterday, but glad you had a good trip. Definitely come back again soon and maybe we could chat face-to-face!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) October 29, 2009 at 10:02 am

Glad you did your brief (but fun-looking) trip to the city justice by throwing in a lunch at ‘Blue Smoke’ (that place is absurdly good) and a panini- two vital components of any given NYC foodie experience. If you come back again soon, and are craving coffee, I reccommend you try some brew from “Porto Rico Importing Co.” and “Oren’s Daily Roasts.” Also, that was a pretty darlin’ cappuccino.

Cynthia (It All Changes) October 29, 2009 at 10:34 am

For some reason I love rainy days in they city. I think I like them because its not a crowded with tourists.

That coffee looked good. I love when they draw something with the foam. It looks so fancy.

Tina October 29, 2009 at 10:45 am

That panini looks surprisingly good! And thats unfortunate it rained on your one day in the city but hey, I would go to NYC rain or shine!

SweetiePotato October 29, 2009 at 10:48 am

I didn’t even know they made Almond M&M’s!! And that cappuccino looks so yummy!

Kevin Ambrosini October 29, 2009 at 11:59 am

Thanks for coming by yesterday…it was great to meet you in person! We’ll get you down here again soon =).

PS – Looks like Andy’s recommendation was a good one…I’ll have to check it out as well.

Lynn (The Actors Diet) October 29, 2009 at 12:09 pm

yay nyc!!!

Lu October 29, 2009 at 12:17 pm

The roasted beets look so good. I’ve been craving them for the past few days. Yum.

Ali (food, fitness, fashion) October 29, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I love beets in a salad! So good!! that cappuccino looks fantastic! What a treat!!!!

What kind of wrap was your veggie sandwich in? The color makes it look like sweet potato :)

Sarah October 29, 2009 at 12:50 pm

I love NYC and glad you had a good time, despite the rain :)

Jenna October 29, 2009 at 1:40 pm

glad you had an awesome trip! those bbq chips look great and so does your panini!!

Andrea of Care to Eat October 29, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Stumptown is the BEST coffee ever and named after Portland :) Sorry you didn’t have a better experience because it really is awesome. Also, if you ever need a hotel in NYC, the Ace Hotels are super fun to stay at!

amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 29, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Looks like you had a great time! I’m jealous, I’ve never been to NYC!

Eve October 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Too bad you weren’t in NYC today! It’s gorgeous. Yesterday I had to run around so much, and it was gross! I see the paninis all of NYC and have never had one, can you believe that? Now I want to check out the Ace Hotel, it’s very close to my office so maybe I’ll take a coffee break one day – thanks for the recommendation!

on the rocks October 29, 2009 at 4:16 pm

looks like a great day! wish i lived to close to nyc!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty October 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm

New York looks amazing!!! I also really really love your new tea cup!! It’s gorgeous!!
    I love reading your blog it’s fantastic!!!
    Come check out mine sometime…. http://dairyfreebetty.blogspot.com/

Take care,

Jennifer October 30, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Get thee back to NYC ASAP! (yes I did that on purpose) I miss my hometown all the time- DC is so bland in comparison!