• BlogHer Food 09: Part 1

September 26, 2009

Ahhhhh! I’m here! BlogHer Food 2009! I’ve died and gone to food blogger heaven!

IMG_7832.JPG

We woke up bright and early to drive back to San Francisco for the conference.

At our hotel, we grabbed a quick bite to eat from the continental breakfast to hold us over until we got to BlogHer Food.

IMG_7805.JPG

Breakfast

The BlogHer breakfast was already bumpin’ when we arrived.

IMG_7813.JPG

Everything looked so delicious (as expected!) and we dug right in.

IMG_7814.JPG IMG_7815.JPG

There were so many choices! It was a difficult decision.

IMG_7812.JPG

In the end, I went for a Peach Smoothie.

IMG_7817.JPG

Holy yum! I almost went back for a second one, but I restrained myself. ;-)

IMG_7818.JPG IMG_7819.JPG IMG_7820.JPG IMG_7821.JPG

Then, I grabbed a cup of coffee. I loved the fancy dishware! :-D

IMG_7822.JPG IMG_7823.JPG

Mmmmm… coffee!

IMG_7826.JPG IMG_7827.JPG

Yay! Food bloggers at BlogHer Food! :mrgreen:

IMG_7829.JPG

Welcome

The event started with a welcome and some opening remarks from the BlogHer founders. They briefly discussed women’s involvement in the social media landscape and why they participate. It was quite fascinating! (FYI: The presentation will be on the BlogHer website later today.)

IMG_7831.JPG

Sponsors

Outside of the main room are tons of sponsors sampling and giving away products. I’ve already scored some sweet stuff! :mrgreen:

IMG_7810.JPG IMG_7839.JPG

IMG_7809.JPG

And I tasted some yummy treats! :-D

IMG_7833.JPG

Pillsbury had a “Make Your Own” cupcake station. Obviously, I needed one for breakfast! ;-)

IMG_7834.JPG IMG_7835.JPG

I added cream cheese frosting and sprinkles to mine.

IMG_7836.JPG

The BlogHer Food swag bags are pretty awesome too. There are lots of goodies inside! But, if there is something you don’t want, attendees are encourages to donate unwanted goods to a local food pantry. It’s great that BlogHer is coordinating this type of contribution. We’re definitely going to keep this idea in mind for the next Healthy Living Summit.

IMG_7843.JPG

Breakout Session #1

After breakfast, we had the choice to attend one of 3 breakout sessions this morning. (There are 2 more breakout session this afternoon.)

The conference has 3 different “tracks” from which attendees can choose:

• Visuals
    • Vocation
    • Values

I’ll likely attend a mix of the different tracks, but I started with the Developing Your Visual Voice session from the Visuals Track.

IMG_7844.JPG

Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks (I’m so star-struck!) and Matt Armendariz hosted the Developing Your Visual Voice session. They had so many great ideas about how to take beautiful food photos. I especially loved seeing their gorgeous slideshow photos. They’re both so talented!

Some of my favorite tips for their presentation:

• Find inspiration in others
    • Think about your photos in context
    • Understand where you are shooting
    • Think about the type of photos you are after

IMG_7845.JPG

Time to learn how to be a better food blogger. Be back later!

Ahhhh, so psyched to be here!!!!! It’s awesome! :mrgreen:

Food Makes Fun Fuel September 26, 2009 at 1:21 pm

That looks like blogger heaven, especially with all the company eats! Glad to see you’re enjoying the trip :-)

Run Sarah September 26, 2009 at 1:27 pm

That looks amazing!! All the food looks great especially the cupcakes ;)

Kristen September 26, 2009 at 1:28 pm

I love the china!! What a great idea to give to the local food pantry. It would also be neat to host a meal for the men and women who run the local soup kitchens or food pantry to give them a boost of encouragement and be fed by others for a change!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) September 26, 2009 at 1:29 pm

looks like so much fun. and make your own cupcakes? yum!

Janet September 26, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Dude, I totally missed the cupcake bar! Hitting that up next if it’s still there. :)

skinnyrunner September 26, 2009 at 1:47 pm

that buffet looks to die for. and the cupcake bar? my idea of heaven.

Morgan September 26, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Those coffee cups and saucers look like my china pattern!
    Looks like you are having a blast, the cupcake bar is fantastic!

Leah @ Simply Fabulous September 26, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Looks like you are having a nice time! Cupcakes for breakfast… that you can decorate? Hell yea! Love the tea cups with saucers too… we have those EVERYWHERE here in England.

christie, honoring health September 26, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Oh, man, what an awesome day! I bet you are learning so much and meeting Heidi is a food blogging dream!

Kat (Kat's Daily Plate) September 26, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Looks like such an educational and fun event. Question: is it open to everyone who wants to get a ticket? How do you find out about/ sign up for these events?

shawna (balancing me) September 26, 2009 at 2:31 pm

OHMYGOODNESS!!! You must have died and gone to heaven! I can’t wait to hear more about this trip!

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) September 26, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I need to get myself to one of these events!!!!

angieinatlanta September 26, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Love that make your own cupcake idea!

And I really love the idea of donating unwanted goods! Think of how many hungry people that will feed!

kay (eating machine) September 26, 2009 at 3:54 pm

i want a cupcake now!

that cupcake stand looks a lot like the one i staring at today at costco, trying to convince my fiance we’d use it…

Mandy September 26, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I’ve worked with Matt. He’s awesome!

Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 26, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Oh I so wish I could be there. I hope to be at my first blog conference soon. Just watching the feed from your summit made me feel compelled to start my own blog.

devan September 26, 2009 at 4:40 pm

SO much fun!! everything looks awesome :)

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) September 26, 2009 at 4:47 pm

How fun! I’m looking forward to reading your full documentation of the event.

Lizzy September 26, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Ah i wish i was there so bad! Tina everything looks awesome, and your photos so far are so great, i fell like i’m actually there! :) Can’t wait to follow along some more!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 26, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Everything looks so fun!!

Jenna September 26, 2009 at 5:50 pm

tina your pics are really great! the breakouts look so informative, hope you are learning lots!
    jenna

Katie (ARunningStart) September 26, 2009 at 8:12 pm

It looks like so much fun! That make your own cupcake station is a fantastic idea for a party. I’ll have to remember that one. Thanks for letting us come along for the ride! :)

Hangry Pants September 26, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Make your own cupcakes is another good idea for the next summit. :D

maria September 26, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Wow! All of that food looks so delicious. I don’t know if I could have made a choice! I’m bad when there’s so much too choose from!

Marissa September 27, 2009 at 12:53 am

Looks like a lot of fun!

Kathy September 27, 2009 at 11:07 am

Can I have one of those make your own cupcake stations?? That looked great! I also liked the lasagna, I might get that!