• Morning Commuter

August 24, 2009

Good morning, blog world! Happy Monday! :mrgreen:

I have lots to do this morning, so let’s get right to it!

Breakfast

I started my morning with a bowl of Smart Start cereal with sliced banana and non-fat milk.

IMG_5951

Smart Start cereal is quite the tasty cereal, but the ingredient list is a mile long– most of which are weird-o, hard-to-pronounce ingredients. :-?

IMG_5946

I didn’t have the healthiest choices for breakfast, but I made due. Breakfast was still yummy and satisfying, and hopefully, it will hold me over until lunchtime.

IMG_5943

I took the commuter rail into Boston this morning, so Mal and Murphy dropped me off at the train station. Muphy waited patiently… with his butt in the console cup holder. ;-)

IMG_5953

Let me just say that I am totally impressed by the commuter rail. It’s an easy and comfortable ride with free Wi-Fi and it takes practically no time to get into the city. It actually takes me the SAME amount of time to travel 20+ miles from my hometown as it does to travel by T from my apartment, which is only about 9 miles!

IMG_5954

Before dropping me off at the commuter rail, Mal and I took a quick trip to D&D. I enjoyed my iced coffee on the trail while staring out the window and day dreaming. I had a nice little morning! :-D

IMG_5956

How long is your commute to work/school?

Emily August 24, 2009 at 10:54 am

To get to work, it takes me about 20 minutes, which isn’t that bad to me. Even with traffic, it still takes about 25 because I`m driving on the backroads and not the highway. If I was still in school, I could get there in about 10 minutes, which was nice in the Spring. I could just roll out of bed and go. Not as nice as when I lived in the dorms and could just leave about 5 minutes before class began. :)

Evan Thomas August 24, 2009 at 11:01 am

My commute used to be an hour. Sometimes I would need to take the commuter rail, which always made em nervous that I would fall asleep and miss my stop

Maria August 24, 2009 at 11:04 am

It only takes me 15 minutes to drive to work. Not too bad. 20 mins. if traffic is really bad, but I get to work early so it is usually fine. Murphy is so stinkin cute!

Hangry Pants August 24, 2009 at 11:09 am

Approximetaly 2 minutes – my school is across the street from my house!!!!

But, I used to commute to NY from NJ and would always always fall asleep. :)

Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate August 24, 2009 at 11:17 am

My commute is 16 miles. It usually takes me 20-25 minutes. Compared to my old commute of an hour this is a breeze.

Ali August 24, 2009 at 11:18 am

If I walk, it takes about 45 minutes, if I take the bus, it takes about 20-35 depending. If I drive my car to the T station and take the train it 10-15 minutes.

Emily August 24, 2009 at 11:21 am

Murphy is adorable!

My “commute” takes about 5 minutes; I just have to walk 3 blocks. Love not having to drive!

Allyson August 24, 2009 at 11:33 am

Murphy kills me!

I’ve got a 10 minute bike ride to the office! It’s awesome.

Sarah August 24, 2009 at 11:42 am

I’m 15 miles which takes about 30 minutes each way, so a total of 30 miles or an hour. I would love to work closer to home or even better — at home! ;-)

Meg August 24, 2009 at 11:45 am

When I lived in Boston it would take me between 35-45 minutes on the T to go from Gov’t Center to Brookline Village (which is only like 4 miles!). Now that I drive to work it only takes me 10 min. I do miss reading a good book on the T though!

Julie August 24, 2009 at 11:49 am

My commute is about 7 minutes both ways. I liv eonly 2.5 miles from work so I love it.

I’ve alwasy wanted to take the sommuter rail in town (there is a station right down the street from me) but always thought it took longer. Apparently not!

Lori August 24, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I work from home, so my commute is pretty short LOL!

When we lived in the Chicago suburbs, I used to love taking the train into Chicago.

rhodeygirl August 24, 2009 at 12:07 pm

used to be 3 miles exactly from home to office, and now it’s about 15 paces from my bedroom to my office haha

Beth @ CrossBorderCravings August 24, 2009 at 12:33 pm

My commute is about 15-20 minutes now that I live close to the metro. It would take me a lot less time in a car, but then finding and paying for parking does not sound fun at all! I only wish the station was a little cooler. It’s a short commute but a hot one!

Kaytee August 24, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I drive 15 minutes to work in the morning, and from there 30 minutes to school, and then 15 minutes home again. I also have a five minute walk to my office and campus from the parking lots, which can really add up sometimes.

Amanda @ Cakes and Ale August 24, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I’m almost exactly 20 minutes, door to door. I live in Chicago, and take the Blue Line to work. It’s about a 4 min walk from our place to the stop, and then the train drops me off literally right in front of my work building!

Denise August 24, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I live in the suburbs, so I have to drive about…50 miles each way… it is great book listening or quiet time though!

Denise August 24, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Reading all of these posts, I’m totally jealous of the public transportation. Would be great to blog or read while commuting!

ttfn300 August 24, 2009 at 1:14 pm

omg murphy fits in the cup holder? lol :) i commuted last week from west concord… wouldn’t have been bad if i worked in cambridge, but getting to longwood it was like i lost over 2 hours of every day :( i was happy to walk in today!!

Pam (Highway to Health) August 24, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I used to take the commuter rail and it was awesome. My commute right now it about an hour longer if the are delays on the T. No fun!

Traci August 24, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I’m one of the lucky ones who has an easy commute. Door takes me about 8-10 minutes, depending on how many lights I hit.

Menden @ Skinny Menny August 24, 2009 at 1:30 pm

My commute is an hour and 15 minutes! Boooooo!!!!! I hate it. I would love to be able to use public transportation, so at least I could get some stuff done!

Dorothy August 24, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Takes me approx. 7 minutes by bicycle.

Jess August 24, 2009 at 1:32 pm

It really bothers me how companies advertise their cereal as being a “smart start” for a strong heart and then fill it with yucky and hard to pronounce ingredients :(

Christie @ Quit Your Diet August 24, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I would love to have access to public transportation! Sadly, I have a 36 mile one way commute. I takes me anywhere from 35 mins to an hour but thankfully, most days it ends of being around 40 minutes. I actually hate commuting but in the small town that I live in, I don’t have much choice.

mari August 24, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I love your puppy!

Meghan@traveleatlove August 24, 2009 at 2:13 pm

If I take the T it should be about 30 minutes, but I have been walking so it takes about 40. Not too bad. The commuter rail is so nice isn’t it?!

Erin F. August 24, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I’m about 20-25 miles from work, but my commute goes against the awful NYC-inbound traffic so it’s quick and low-stress. I’ve actually come to love my half-hour trip (each way) and use the time to catch up on news or listen to music.

Rose August 24, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Looks like you had a great weekend!

My commute is 45 mins – 1 hour (blah!)

emily - eatventures August 24, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Last year I had a 45minute commute (each way) involving the subway and lots of walking.

Picturing Murphy’s butt in the cupholder made me giggle so hard!

Savannah August 24, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Love your pug! I want one so bad!!

I have about a 30 minute drive to work, not too bad. My last year of college, my drive was 45 minutes, plus a good half and hour of parking and walking.

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) August 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I know what you mean about the cereal! Some sounds so good for you just going by the front of the box and then you read the ingredients . . . I have a secret love of Special K Redberries cereal . . . .full of HFCS. Occasionally I indulge, but otherwise I stick to oatmeal and Kashi!

Dawn (foodnfit) August 24, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Omg I love your dog–SO cute! :)
    My commute is anywhere from 30-45 min both ways, depending on traffic.

Lauren August 24, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I have a 65 minute commute – I live in Kansas City but commute to our state capital – Topeka to my job. I can handle it daily for three reasons – I carpool with three other girls, there is no traffic on the route and I never drive into the sun. I squeeze in naps on the days I don’t drive and work out at lunch since I don’t get home until a little later in the evenings.

Jess in NYC August 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm

First off, let me just say that when I read the words “Smart Start” it took me back to when that cereal was first on the market and I thought it was the best thing ever! I ate it at least twice a day every single day. Let’s hope all those ingredients are legal.

Anyhow, my commute…please don’t hate me, please…….its 5 minutes. And no I don’t work from home. ;)

Kiersten August 24, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I used to walk practically across the street to get to school, it was so convenient. I switched to another university (first day was today!) and now it’s a 15 minute drive.

Angharad August 24, 2009 at 4:34 pm

So jealous of the DD!!! Love it so…
    My morning commute is 10 minutes each way and I bike it in the summer (I also ten mins) – I feel so lucky!

Amanda C August 24, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I’m seriously obsessed with your puppy!!! Love him! My commute is 12 minutes….I live on Maui so I if I get stuck behind a pineapple truck it can be double that! hahaha! Aloha! Amanda

Lynn (The Actors Diet) August 24, 2009 at 4:43 pm

free wi fi how awesome!!! i don’t commute since my job (acting) is mostly LOOKING for jobs, but everything in los angeles takes about 20-30 minutes to drive to.

Carolyn August 24, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Downstairs from our bedroom… right turn at the bottom of the stairs across foyer into living room that became my office….. sit down in office chair…Say hi to little pet turtle in tank next to my desk…pet little dogs heads laying around desk… turn on Good Morning America… turn on computer connected to main office…If i walk downtown to our main office it’s a 1.5 mile walk thru a historic neighborhood…pretty sweet… took us 17 years of marriage and business dreaming to arrange this set up..but it was worth it!!!

Madison August 24, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Murphy is just the cutest! Sorry if I keep saying that everytime I come around to post but he has the cutest little face.

I also love cereal for breakfast but most are just loaded with sugar and other undesirable stuff. In the end, it comes down to either oatmeal or some cardboard tasting cereal…I’d much rather have the oatmeal with some yummy add-ons.

Jenna August 24, 2009 at 4:54 pm

10 minutes to work! and about a couple minutes to school because i live at college! whoo :)

Sarah August 24, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I live just outside of the Twin Cities, and when I was in school, I would always give myself about 30 minutes to get there- so I had enough time to find a parking spot, etc. even though in reality the drive is about 15 minutes. When I was a intern at one of the cities hospitals I would give myself about 45 minutes to an hour to deal with traffic in the morning, and it would take me at least 60 minutes to get back home if I left around 4 PM.

Now, my commute is about 3 minutes to the kitchen (with a pit-stop in the bathroom) when I get up in the morning. It’s sad, but true that I would actually welcome any sort of commute if I could only find a job!

girlmeetsyoga August 24, 2009 at 6:32 pm

takes me an hour and 1/2 each way.

Meg August 24, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I also work in Boston, but live in the Greater Boston area. I get to work super early to miss rush hour (it takes ~35 min get to work for 7am). And I usually leave anywhere between 4 and 6:30pm and it takes FOREVER (1 to 2.5 hours)…

I love your blog, read it all the time. We’re pretty similar. I squeeze my workout in at lunch time. :)

Tina August 24, 2009 at 7:17 pm

@Meg: I wish I had time to exercise then! Do you just use an hour to exercise and shower?

MB August 24, 2009 at 8:14 pm

It depends on whether the T is running on schedule. Luckily I’m on the north side of the Orange Line so it’s pretty reliable compared to the other lines. My commute is usually anywhere from a half hour if I catch the bus and train just right to an hour on average. I’ve had the rare 3 hour hell commutes too.

terri August 24, 2009 at 8:55 pm

my commute is typically 45-50 mins…depending on how fast i drive and how early i leave my house !!! however, we just found out we are moving to a new locale, which is going to knock off like a good 20 mins off my commute! yay! ~and the new office is right across the street from an amazing MALL! yay!