• Better Day

August 25, 2009

I’m happy to report that Tuesday was a much better day for me. :-D

This afternoon, I escaped from my desk and took a leisurely stroll around the Farmers’ Market at Harvard. It was a gorgeous day to wander around alone and take my time browsing what the various vendors had to offer.

IMG_6001.JPG

At the Farmers’ Market, I shopped for fresh produce…

IMG_5997.JPG IMG_5998.JPG

Watched a cooking demonstration by Chef Anders Tallberg of Hungry Mother

IMG_5996.JPG

And sampled a bite of a delicious heirloom tomato– one of my favorite summer treats!

IMG_6004.JPG

Browsing the Farmers’ Market was the perfect way to spend my time away from the office.

And if a relaxing lunch break at the Farmers’ Market wasn’t enough, I popped into Dado Tea on my way back to the office for a nice, cold beverage.

IMG_6008.JPG

At Dado, I ordered an iced ginger tea, which was made with fresh ginger, sugar, and honey. It had quite the gingery zing to it! :-D

IMG_6006.JPG

After work, I headed home and went for a 3-mile run. My hip is still injured, but I just HAD to run today. It was the most perfect running weather and I had a serious “itch” to get out there and just RUN. I’ve missed it so much! I have another doctor’s appointment next week– this time with an orthopedic surgeon– so hopefully, I will find out what’s going on and be running (without pain) soon!

I’m STARVING, so it’s time to make dinner. I’m excited to cook with my loot from the Farmers’ Market. I have an interesting kitchen experiment planned for tonight! ;-)

IMG_6010.JPG

Enjoy the evening, blog friends!

P.S. I know someone will ask if I skipped lunch today. I did NOT skip lunch– I just didn’t photograph it.

Caroline August 25, 2009 at 7:56 pm

How nice that you can go to the Farmer’s Market on your lunch break!

Katherine August 25, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Glad your day today was better Tina! And I’m excited to see what your dinner experiment will be!

Kat

Katherine August 25, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Tina, I’m glad today was a better day. And I’m excited to see what your dinner experiment is! Thanks for the tips on blogging 9-5. I appreciate them all!

Kat

VeggieGirl August 25, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Hooray for a better day!

Rebecca August 25, 2009 at 8:41 pm

That Farmer’s Market looks ten times better than the ones I have around me!! Yet another reason I want to move to Boston!

angieinatlanta August 25, 2009 at 8:41 pm

A midday escape from the desk always clears my mind too!

Tay August 25, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I’m glad you had a better day :-) I know exactly what you mean about just itching to run. I’ve had to run a few times in the past 4 months even though I knew it would hurt my knee. I just had to get out there!

Megan August 25, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Oh what a fabulous lunch break, Tina!! I love Farmers Markets. Can’t wait to see what you cook up for dinner :)

Devan Newman August 25, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Those little yellow squashes are so yummy! Just plain, and delicious! :)
    Farmers Markets always make me smile! Love this post!

Evan Thomas August 25, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I’ve been curious about Hungry Mother since it was in Bon Appetite. I definitely want to stop by there someday

Lizzy August 25, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Smiles for better day! :)

I love farmers markets, and your goodies look amazing! i can’t wait to see what your experiment is! have a wonderful evening! :)

Leianna August 25, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Sweet farmers market! Iced ginger iced tea sounds amazing!

Erica August 25, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Thats so cool that you can WALK to that farmers market. I am super jealous. Great buys and yummy tea.

Jenna August 25, 2009 at 9:06 pm

can’t wait to see what you cooked for dinner!

amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) August 25, 2009 at 9:06 pm

those eggplants are beautiful!

Meghan August 25, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Good to know you didn’t skip lunch hehe :)
    I love Hungry Mother!!!! I have been meaning to go there for some fried green summer tomatoes. I would have loved to have seen that demo.

kay (eating machine) August 25, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Oh man I love buying deliciousness at the farmers market and then inventing a dinner out of it.. yum!

Pam (Highway to Health) August 25, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Glad you had a better day! The produce is beautiful. I need to hit up a farmer’s market soon!

emily - eatventures August 25, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I’m betting peach salsa.

ashley August 25, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Wow……

What a lovely farmers market you have! I too visited my farmers market this morning and just fell in love with 4 lil japanese eggplant.. So tonight I made some parma sandwiches with a homemade tomato sauce, sliced j eggplant and some lowfat mozz cheese on a whole wheat ciabatta … Will have my recipe posted tonight on my blog…

maria August 25, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Glad you had a better day. I love going to the farmer’s markets. Enjoy your dinner! I have a bad hip too, but I love running so I still go a couple times a week. It isn’t as bad as when I used to run every day, but still not 100 percent. I hope you can get it figured out!

Melissa August 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Can’t wait to see what your dinner is!!!! So…….what DID you have for lunch? :)

Lynn (The Actors Diet) August 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm

glad you had a better day today! looking forward to seeing what you make for dinner.

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) August 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Looks like a lovely afternoon! Btw, I have been having constant hip issues too (few years I actually fractured the opposite one from running), so I’ve been on the bench. Be careful running on it!

Leah August 25, 2009 at 10:43 pm

The colorful fruits and veggies in your photos made my day! Thanks for spreading the word – I’ve been looking for another farmer’s market. Is Hungry Mother there on a regular basis or is it like a weekly/local featured chef/restaurant?

Mellissa August 25, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Love that farmers market- I would love to see the different markets everyone goes to across the country. So interesting!

Emily August 25, 2009 at 11:41 pm

What a nice escape! I always love going to the farmer’s market to see all the fresh produce and inhale that lovely smell of produce and freshness.

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 25, 2009 at 11:54 pm

I’m SO GLAD you had a better day today :-)

Marissa August 26, 2009 at 3:12 am

Yay for good days!

Scott August 26, 2009 at 3:40 am

I love Hungry Mother, one of my favorite restaurants in Cambridge and I have a lot of them. They have great cocktails – order a no.99 and let the bartender have some fun – and amazing food. I’ve been several times and have always had fantastic meals.

Jen August 26, 2009 at 4:05 am

$3 a pound for squash???? Those prices, unfortunately, are the reasons why I pass on farmers’ markets. I pay half that at Shoppers.

Erin Melikidse August 26, 2009 at 9:54 am

I have been following your blog and love it. All your food and exercise ideas have been inspiring me to lose this last 10 pounds and keep it off for good.
    The reason I wanted to write in is I have had hip pain this past year and was diagnosed with S.I Joint pain. I guess it is common for woman runners. It might be worth looking up and discussing with the doctor and or P.T.
    I am able to run again with no pain.
    I hope you get a diagnose soon.
    Thank you for your great blog.

Ali August 26, 2009 at 1:05 pm

That farmer’s market looks so cute! You got some good stuff!

AprilB August 26, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Hey Tina, I had a running injury last year in my foot. You know what surprisingly helped? Drinking milk. The doctor told me that calcium supplements, as well as getting lots of extra calcium from natural sources like milk and cheese would speed the recovery. It really worked! You should try that.