• Silken Vanilla Cake

July 1, 2009

Yummm! I’m loving these Nasoya Silken Creations! They’re awesome to bake with! 😀

With the addition of vanilla-flavored Silken Creations, I only needed to add 4 other ingredients to my recipe to create a wonderful baked good. Love that! :mrgreen:

Silken Vanilla Cake

Makes 12 pieces

• 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1/4 cup canola oil
    • 1 cup Nasoya Vanilla Silken Creations
    • 1 tbsp baking powder

• Preheat oven to 350* F.
    • Spray 8 X 8 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
    • Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
    • Pour mixture into pan.
    • Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until center is firm.
    • Allow to cool before frosting.
    • Enjoy!
    Approximately 140 calories per piece.

My Silken Vanilla Cake turned out so incredibly soft, fluffy, and vanilla-y. It reminded me a lot of Duncan Hines yellow cake, but, of course, dairy-free, lactose-free, low-fat, and vegan. 😉 All this cake really needed was a thick layer of chocolate frosting. It’s all about balance, right?!?

I honestly cannot wait to make this cake for someone’s birthday! I have a feeling it will be a real crowd-pleaser! :mrgreen:

Spring it!

Crystalis! July 1, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Um, was this an advertisement for Nasoya Silken Creations or what? They sound awesome but I didn’t expect the Wayne’s Worldesque product placement….

Tina July 1, 2009 at 8:01 pm

@Crystalis!: Thanks for your comment. Please explain how my post is a “Wayne’s Worldesque product placement.”

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) July 1, 2009 at 8:06 pm

That sounds so good! I’ll have to look for them. I haven’t seen them in the store. These would be great for my smoothies. I used to make my smoothies with milk and yogurt, but I can’t have dairy anymore.

Christina July 1, 2009 at 8:22 pm

I’ve been seeing these in stores but wasn’t sure what else you could make with them. Thanks so much for posting a recipe. It looks delicious!

MarathonVal July 1, 2009 at 8:28 pm

That looks soo good! Did you know that brand makes a chocolate version too?

Shelby July 1, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Jenny July 1, 2009 at 8:31 pm

looks delicious! I just got some coupons for the nayosa silken creations and was planning on buying them – do you know of any single serve recipes i could try?? thanks girl :)!

Tina July 1, 2009 at 8:32 pm

@Jenny: It’d check on their website. They have a TON of delicious-sounding recipes! :)

Lauren July 1, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I just spotted these at the store but I didn’t get them because I wasn’t really sure how I would use it. Well, after seeing this cake, I have my answer!!! VEGAN DESSERTS of course! :)

And, it sounds like such an awesome addition in oats. Thanks for posting about this product, I can’t wait to try it.

Good luck with the house hunting.

K July 1, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Oh my gosh – that looks so moist!! YUM!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) July 1, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Brilliant! I love Duncan Hines but I don’t love all the stuff in it.

Hangry Pants July 1, 2009 at 8:55 pm

You gotta try the muffin recipe online. I think I used vanilla, but it was listed with the strawberry. Yum.

Megan July 1, 2009 at 8:58 pm

That cake looks great! I think I will be going out and buying some of that! ;-D

NV2 July 1, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I think if the recipe turned out awful, Tina would have said so. She’s giving a positive review because she liked the product. Same with Barney Butter. Usually, when a product sucks, the blogger doesn’t hesitate to (tastefully) say as much.

I appreciate the vegan dessert posts!

Lynn July 1, 2009 at 9:51 pm

YUM!!!! I cant wait to make this!!! :)

Pam July 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm

that cake looks so delicious! I cant wait to make it!

Susan July 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm

@NV2:I get this, and I agree. But when Tina DOES like a product, I think she goes way overboard with the product placement and review…it sounds like she’s being paid to gush about it. Especially Barney Butter, and when we get a whole post devoted to just one product. It sounds fake to me, therefore making it seem like an ad even if it’s not.

Casey @ Double Scooped July 1, 2009 at 10:20 pm

I will definitely be making this.

And if it means anything, I love Wayne’s World.

Tina July 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm

@Susan: I WISH I was getting paid to promote these products! But, I’m not. And, if I don’t like I product, I say so. I’m ALWAYS honest. I have nothing to lose! I just happen to REALLY like Barney Butter, and the Silken Creations surprised me– they’re really delicious and wonderful in baked goods! :)

Stacy July 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm

That looks so tasty. I’m definitely going to have to try it.

Holly July 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm

What Tina does is *review* products from time to time. “Product placement” would be a form of *paid* advertising where a brand is strategically placed in context for the viewer to consciously or subconsciously view.

“Product placement, or embedded marketing, is a form of advertisement, where branded goods or services are placed in a context usually devoid of ads, such as movies, the story line of television shows, or news programs. The product placement is often not disclosed at the time that the good or service is featured.”

Personally, I find Tina genuine and real. I don’t think she compromises her integrity by giving an “over favorable” review of products she enjoys or baked goodies she has created for goodness sake. Boy, wouldn’t this world be boring without enthusiasm, passion and joy.

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm

That looks so good. I’d love to try a bite!

Whitney July 1, 2009 at 11:04 pm

My b-day is next weekend! haha

Sara July 1, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Yum! This looks delicious!

Tay July 1, 2009 at 11:37 pm

omg AMAZING!! I want some of that now please!

Caroline July 1, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Doh! I saw those Silken creations in the store today but decided against buying them. They’ll be added to the cart next time, for sure!

Amanda July 2, 2009 at 12:00 am

Another great looking baked good!! Thank god you’re not my roommate, I would NOT be able to control myself :)

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) July 2, 2009 at 12:11 am

The cake you made looks really good! Great job!

I just wrote a product review for the Nasoya Silken Creations! I made blondies/brownies with the vanilla and chocolate varieties!

I hope to try a few more recipes soon! Maybe I’ll try out that cake recipe!

Steph July 2, 2009 at 12:59 am

That cake looks SO good! I am definitely going to make that! thanks for sharing the recipe.

Lauren July 2, 2009 at 8:19 am

Delicious! They almost look like blondies. I’m lovin’ the Silken Creations.

Lara (Thinspired) July 2, 2009 at 9:44 am

These just look delicious–I can only imagine how they taste. I haven’t heard of this product before so I really appreciate the review. It seems so versatile. Thanks, Tina :)

Melissa July 2, 2009 at 10:02 am

Where would I find this item in the grocery store? I’m definately interested in trying it out. Do you know the nutritional info for the cake? I bet it would be great with strawberries and whipped cream.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 2, 2009 at 10:08 am

THANK YOU for sharing this – it looks AMAZING!! 😉

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) July 2, 2009 at 10:17 am

Yum, that cake looks great! I love how few ingredients there are!

Meganerd July 2, 2009 at 10:41 am

Too many people on here complain about about “your advertising”- I think its great to hear (well, read) your opinion of products. Ex… I would never have thought to try this product but now I might! If they don’t want to read it they don’t have to. I appreciate your honesty, though! Great job, Tina!

Kristen July 2, 2009 at 10:45 am

This looks awesome! Any idea what the nutritional facts are?

Cait (Cait's Plate) July 2, 2009 at 10:48 am

HOLY YUM Tina – that looks amazing!

lindsey July 2, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Wow. What a great idea for a dessert. I must try this.

Nicole (dishin') July 2, 2009 at 1:43 pm

That does looks moist and amanzing! I am still skeptical but I’m moved towards trying it… 😉

Molly July 2, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Tina, keep up the great work! Your product reviews are informative and you never seem afraid to be honest in them.

On a different note, do you know how many calories are in the cake you made? Thanks!

Tina July 2, 2009 at 5:45 pm

@Molly: Approximately 140 calories per piece.

Katie July 15, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Have you thought about substituting the oil with apple sauce?

Mekkie August 4, 2009 at 12:08 am

I’m sorry, but how is this even remotely healthy?

Victoria September 5, 2009 at 10:22 am

Hey guys. Im a twelve year old vegan and I just had to try this recipe. It was the best vegan cake I’d ever had. My family are all meat-eaters, so I cooked this by myself (i wont let them touch my food) and even with my terrible cooking skills, it came out delicious.

CookTeen December 31, 2009 at 2:40 pm

do you think i could use regular milk and add some vanilla? any advice?

Lisa August 31, 2010 at 3:32 pm

This looks PHENOMONAL. Unfortunately I cant eat wheat, but will use gluten free flour as a substitution! Thanks for the recipe! Cant wait to try! =)