• Homegrown

July 2, 2009

On my vacation, my favorite eating experience of the whole week was at a sustainable sandwich shop, called Homegrown.

IMG_1820.JPG

The goal at Homegrown is not only to create sandwiches out of sustainable ingredients, but also to make sandwich creation sustainable itself.

This goes beyond using fresh, sustainable ingredients in our gourmet sandwiches, salads and soups. Homegrown strives for sustainability as a local business through the green materials we print and serve on, to our rejection of bottled water, to our 100% compostable and recyclable product.

IMG_1821.JPG ffIMG_1822.JPG

It was love at first sight as soon as I walked into Homegrown! :mrgreen:

I loved the decor inside– it was minimalist, yet modern, and “fresh” all at the same time. A large chalkboard-style menu and a tall communal bar in the middle of the restaurant contributed to the simplistic design and feel. All of it seemed to scream “good for you,” if that makes sense?

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1828.JPG

I had a tough time deciding what to order at Homegrown. All of the menu items had such appetizing ingredients! My sister-in-law had eaten at Homegrown in the past, so she made a number of wonderful recommendations to help make my decision easier.

We started with Vegetable Fries to share. The “veggie fries” are battered seasonal vegetables that come with a delicious honey mustard dipping sauce. I loved them!

IMG_1834.JPG

My sister-in-law also suggested the Grilled Portobello sandwich, which is her personal Homegrown favorite.

IMG_1837.JPG

On the Grilled Portobello sandwich was goat cheese, caramelized onions, chimichurri, and aioli on whole grain bread. Each bite practically melted in my mouth!

IMG_1847.JPG

I only ordered half of a sandwich to save room for Beet Salad! This salad was so fresh!

IMG_1838.JPG

In the Beet Salad was shaved fennel, arugula, and goat cheese, tossed in a light vinaigrette.

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

Salad + sandwich…

IMG_1836.JPG

Needless to day, Homegrown was right up my alley! I loved it and highly recommend it to anyone who visits the Fremont area. In fact, I loved Homegrown so much, I even bought one of their t-shirts, which is something I never do! I’ll have a post a pic the next time I wear it!

Sheena July 2, 2009 at 2:33 pm

That place looks so delicious! It reminds me of a small place in Columbia, Mo, where I went to college that had all organic vegetarian foods. I always love going there when I visit for teh veggie sandwiches or beans and rice bowls with homemade salsa or the hummus wraps! Yummy!

Take care

Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 2, 2009 at 2:54 pm

This place looks fantastic!! Reminds me of a similar place I go to for lynch every now and then called the market cafe. I loooove beets and goat cheese, such a tasty combo! Hope you are having a great afternoon ;)

Maria July 2, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I wish there was a place like that by me. Looks amazing!

Kelly July 2, 2009 at 3:13 pm

That’s awesome. It reminds me a little bit of this awesome place my boyfriend and I found in DC called Founding Farmers. It was more than just sandwiches and salads but was all about local, sustainably raised food. It was unbelievably good and despite only being in DC for a long weekend we ate their twice. They had a house salad that was incredibly good and amazing breakfast fare.

Pam Striker July 2, 2009 at 3:20 pm

oh boy, would I like to be having all that for supper….delish!

Pam

brandi July 2, 2009 at 3:42 pm

that place looks awesome! I Would love to try those veggie fries.

Cuts and Curves July 2, 2009 at 3:44 pm

I love beets! I’ve been craving them over the past few days, perhaps I should be making a salad like this tonight… YUM

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) July 2, 2009 at 4:10 pm

That sounds like such a great place to get lunch!!

JLF July 2, 2009 at 5:16 pm

beets are delicious- sounds like a wonderful salad! I just baked some yummy stuff today that I plan to enjoy later tonight. http://jessicafick.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/baked/

Pam July 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm

wow that place looks amazing! Your lunch looks delicious!

Nicole (dishin') July 2, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Looks great! I love all the fresh ingredients and interesting combos. Plus, all the goat cheese! Have you found any restaurants like that in Boston? I would love to find a sandwich shop that uses local ingredients!

Christina July 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm

What a great cafe! Good choice with the portobello mushroom sandwich, that’s definitely what I would’ve chose!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) July 2, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Wow that is quite the lunch! Those beets look delicious!

Tina July 2, 2009 at 5:36 pm
    Steph July 2, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Hi Tina!
    I just tried the Starbucks Greek Yogurt and Honey Parfait for my afternoon snack and it was yummy! The honey almost made it too sweet for me, but I loved the macaroon granola.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

~Steph

Allyson July 2, 2009 at 5:55 pm

That place looks amazing! I love all these restaurant reviews you are posting from your trip. You guys found the most adorable/healthy restaurants while you were over there! TOTALLY makes me want to visit :)

Robin July 2, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Wow! They really have some interesting food choices. I would definitely want to try the portebello mushroom sandwich.

Casey @ Double Scooped July 2, 2009 at 6:02 pm

drooooooooolllllll

MarathonVal July 2, 2009 at 6:13 pm

I love places like that! You always find such fun restaurants. I’m going away this weekend (to a city with awesome health food restaurant actually), but I will have a hard time convincing my husband to eat at those places!

Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 2, 2009 at 6:56 pm

The foods look delish, but beyond that, I absolutely love the way it looks. French Country meets Urban someting… It’s like something you’d find in Seattle. Well, I’ve never been there, but that’s my guess. :)

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) July 2, 2009 at 7:02 pm

The beet salad is making me drool!! Seriously, I love all that combo of flavors, and its exactly what I would have ordered if I had been there too. :D

Looks like a time of GOOD eats! :D

siam July 2, 2009 at 7:14 pm

A good atmosphere for a pleasant stay felicitation photo report very successful and the subject.

CaSaundra July 2, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Looks like my kind of place! They seriously need more little funky places like that in MN–we are seriously lacking! :-(

Kristen (Flexy Fare) July 2, 2009 at 7:46 pm

The veggie fries look absolutely awesome! What a find!

Cait (Cait's Plate) July 2, 2009 at 7:59 pm

oh my gosh – those vegetable fries?! WHAT! THOSE ARE AMAZING!

leslie July 2, 2009 at 8:46 pm

this looks so good! wow. beet and fennel salad – yum! i also really like their mission and the way they’re taking organic and local to a new level. that’s wonderful to see.

Caroline July 3, 2009 at 12:10 am

You always go to the most amazing restaurants!
    I just recently discovered the wonders of beets, so that salad looks so enticing right now!