• The Tapa Bar

June 29, 2009

From The Tapa Bar website:

“Tapas are small, flavourful dishes that can be served as an appetizer or together as a meal. What distinguishes tapas from other dishes is more the spirit of the eater, not the food itself. One often lingers, unhurried, over tapas.”

Oh, how I love eating tapas! :mrgreen:

As you know, tapas are small dishes that are meant to be shared by everyone at the table. I love sharing food when I go out to dinner because I want to taste everything! Plus, it’s always fun to dine out with a bunch of friends and chat over good food and drinks in a laid-back setting.

IMG_2099.JPG

The Tapa Bar is quite a hidden gem as it is tucked away in the Trounce Alley, off the beaten-path, of downtown Victoria, BC. The look and feel of the outside deck makes it seem as though you have been transported to a little eatery somewhere in Europe. It’s a super cute restaurant!

IMG_2100.JPG

The decor inside The Tapa Bar is warm, inviting, and cozy. Spanish music plays softly in the background, and beautiful, original paintings by Mexican painter, Luis Merino, cover the walls.

IMG_2102.JPG

The Tapa Bar is quite the happening place. Mal and I went to dinner there on a Wednesday evening, and we were surprised to see such a bumpin’ atmosphere. Although it was super busy, the service was friendly, attentive, and relatively fast.

IMG_2106.JPG

The tapas at The Tapa Bar could easily feed 3-4 people and ran the gamut with a huge range of ingredients and dishes. Both the meat and vegetarian options were equally tasty.

Chorizo Fondue
    Spicy Portuguese sausage, cheese, wine, and garlic baked and served with tortilla chips

IMG_2114.JPG

Almond-Stuffed Dates
    Wrapped in bacon and served with blue cheese crumbles and balsamic reduction

IMG_2115.JPG

Vegetarian Cubanette
    Open-faced focaccia with melted cheese, grilled portabella mushroom, fresh salsa, avocado, and pinto beans

IMG_2119.JPG

All of the dishes were incredibly fresh and full of flavor– excellent tapas!  :-D

With dinner, I enjoyed a vodka martini with blue cheese-stuffed olives. Yum!

IMG_2118.JPG

If you couldn’t tell, Mal and I loved this restaurant! We’re already talking about making another trip to Victoria just to visit The Tapa Bar again! Be sure to check out this place if you visit Victoria!

For more tapas fun, check out my recent tapas experience at Toro!

Shannon (The Daily Balance) June 29, 2009 at 2:51 pm

This place looks great!! I LOVE Tapas ;)

The Vegetarian Cubanette looks awesome — love all the ingredients and that crust bread – yummmm

Hope you are having a great day!

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 29, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Those almond stuffed dates look wonderful. It looks like it was a tasty night.

Meghan@traveleatlove June 29, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Looks awesome, you would love Barcelona! Tapas-style eating is my favorite, and its such an easy way to entertain.
    So many good tapas in the Boston area too – if you haven’t already you should try Bar Lola, Taberna de haro, Dali, Solea, Tapeo,Estragon, and Tasca! All yum in different ways.

Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) June 29, 2009 at 3:18 pm

That place looks fantastic! What yummy looking food…

Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) June 29, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I love tapas! I guess that makes sense since some of my favorite foods are wine, cheese, olives, and crusty bread :-) Can’t wait to come to Boston for the healthy living summit!!

KatieF June 29, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I went to my first tapas restaurant over the weekend. There were six of us and we all ordered 2-3 tapas to share. I was hesitant about the idea because I have a shellfish allergy and some people ordered crab and shrimp based tapas, but it was great because I got to try a few bites of about 8 different things at one meal!

Hallie (Healthy Twists) June 29, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Mmmm tapas…when I was in Spain I think I got tapas like, once, but I was a poor college kid who had home-cooked meals by my senora already paid for! But there is a tapas place near my house that makes bacon-wrapped dates that are A.Mazing. Worth every calorie!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 29, 2009 at 3:42 pm

That Chorizo Fondue looks great. I’ve never been to a place that specialized in tapas, but it sounds like I’d love it.

brandi June 29, 2009 at 3:43 pm

what a cool place! we don’t have a tapas place here, but I’ve always wanted to go to one.

the dates looks amazing!

Angharad June 29, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Tapas are one of my favorites! I too love sharing food as it means you get to try twice (if not three or four times) as much! How can you not love all the cheese, bread and chorizo delights as well? It reminds me of visiting my hub when he was studying in Valencia. I love it when food transports you to another land!

Laura (Alwaysroom4dessert) June 29, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I ate there the last time I was in Victoria and had the almond stuffed dates too! Such a cute place, I’m glad you guys enjoyed Victoria!

MarathonVal June 29, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I love going to tapas restaurants because they always have a ton of vegetarian items – olives, roasted red peppers, etc!! Love it!

K June 29, 2009 at 6:04 pm

The vegetarian cubanette sounds and looks perfect! What a great restaurant!!

Recipes for creativity June 29, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Cool! There is a Tapas place near me in Asheville but I’ve never checked it out…based on this post I think I should!

amy (veganissexy) June 29, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Oh my gosh…we just got back from Victoria this past weekend and it was so amazing! I just blogged about it today! Crazy…when were you there??? Our 2nd choice for our anniversary dinner was going to be the tapas bar but they didn’t look like they had many all vegan options. We went to Rebar instead which was totally fab. I LOVE Victoria! Glad you enjoyed your Pacific NW adventure….we love living here :) Next time you have to come out to the Olympic Peninsula!

Lynn June 29, 2009 at 7:22 pm

That place looks GOOD!!!!! The cubanette and bacon wrapped stuffed dates?! oh my!!!! :)

Danielle June 29, 2009 at 8:45 pm

That place looks fantastic! I love tapas, you can get sooo many little plates in one meal. Whoever came up with that is genius ;) glad you had o much fun on vacation!

Marianne June 30, 2009 at 1:40 am

Tapa Bar is always busy, doesn’t seem to matter what day you go. Probably because it’s so tasty :)

Pearl June 30, 2009 at 3:27 am

i’m glad you had a wonderful time there!

Andrea (Off Her Cork) June 30, 2009 at 8:01 am

I very much want to check out a tapas place! Sounds like such a great experience. :D

Jaime (Embracing Balance) June 30, 2009 at 8:55 am

Yaaieeeee!!! I’m so glad you guys went there!! I love that same martini.

Your posts continue to make me homesick. Thanks for the little taste of home. :)

converter June 30, 2009 at 12:23 pm

is thinking the New Moon movie is going to be great when it comes out!!!=)

Sarah July 1, 2009 at 8:24 am

That place sounds great and I love the art work too!