• Introduction to Victoria

June 23, 2009

Mal and I arrived safe and sound in Victoria around noon this afternoon, but we’ve already had a great little introduction to the city. Victoria has a ton of cute shops and restaurants, and it’s such a pretty place to walk around and spend a vacation. The city is also sort of romantic! ;-)

IMG_1901.JPGIMG_1903.JPG IMG_1904.JPG

After the Clipper ride, I was SO exhausted! I took a dose of motion sickness medication, so I felt completely out of it when I arrived in Victoria. Meh. :-?

IMG_1907.JPG

I wasn’t sure what to expect with our hotel since we picked the cheapest option out of the ones recommended to us, but our room ended up being pretty nice.

IMG_1910.JPG IMG_1911.JPG

The view from our balcony…

IMG_1912.JPG

After checking into our hotel room, Mal and I wandered around Victoria until we decided that we needed a snack to hold us over until our late lunch.

IMG_1914.JPG

We stopped at the Irish Times to refuel. Mal ordered a beer while I ordered a much-needed mug of coffee.

IMG_1917.JPG

Omg. Need coffee!

IMG_1918.JPG IMG_1920.JPG

We also shared a plate of French fries with garlic mayo on the side.

IMG_1923.JPG

We didn’t want to fill up with a big meal because we were scheduled to have “high tea” at the Fairmont Empress Hotel. (The tea was AWESOME, by the way! I will tell you guys all about it later.)

Mal and I are off to enjoy cocktail hour and dinner. See ya later, gators!

Becca June 23, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Oh man, every time I go to Victoria (which is like, 3 times in my life) my family has high tea at the Fairmont. Glad you got to enjoy it, too, and can’t wait to read your post about it!

TorontoGirloutWest June 23, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Oh man . . . I lived in Victoria for four years and moved away last August. I haven’t been back since so your post is pulling at my heartstrings BIG time!!!!!! ;)

Enjoy the city!!!

Oh and if you’re looking for THE best sushi go to Tamami. It’s on Fisgard Street right at the foot of China Town (so basically where it meets Wharf). You will NOT be disappointed!!!!

joan June 23, 2009 at 8:29 pm

It looks so beautiful there! Love the pictures.

Katie June 23, 2009 at 8:39 pm

I was just going to tell you to try to have tea at the Empress! Hope you enjoyed it!

Meghan@traveleatlove June 23, 2009 at 9:03 pm

I really want to go to BC. Looks like you are having a blast; we can vacation vicariously through you!

leslie June 23, 2009 at 9:31 pm

wow, victoria looks so charming. very european!

Marianne June 23, 2009 at 9:36 pm

You totally lucked out on the weather today to get those awesome photos of the inner harbour :D Sadly, I think it’s supposed to rain tomorrow.

Irish Times is a fun place to go for a drink in the evenings. You could also check out Bard & Banker down the street, as it’s owned by the same people.

Looking forward to seeing what high tea in the famous Empress Hotel is like. I’ve lived in BC my entire life, and in Victoria for 4 years, and yet I’ve never been.

PS – in that photo you took in Bastion Square, in the building on the left is Rebar, and really great almost vegetarian restaurant & juice bar you should check out. I’ve yet to have a bad meal there, and their cookbook is amazing!

Sheri June 23, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I can’t wait to hear how you like High Tea at the Empress! I really enjoy it…so yummy!

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) June 23, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Wow – it looks gorgeous there!

Jaime (Embracing Balance) June 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm

You’ve just made me incredibly homesick. Irish Times is part of my old stomping grounds (although truth be told we like it a little dirtier down at Darcy’s Pub…hehe). The commenter above that recommeded Rebar is absolutely right on…you shouldn’t miss it! There’s also another cute place for snacks and drinks…called Tapa Bar…it’s in Trounce Alley just off of Government Street…most people could point you in the right direction (it’s right across from a lovely little purse store called She-She too!)

maria June 23, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Glad you are enjoying your trip. We loved Victoria!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 24, 2009 at 12:09 am

Those pictures are GORGEOUS! Y’all will have a GREAT time!!

T!Van June 24, 2009 at 12:23 am

Victora looks amazing! I can’t wait to visit there.

Heather June 24, 2009 at 1:05 am

I was just in Victoria two weeks ago! If you have time, check out Glo for drinks/dinner (super chic, delish) and Nautical Nellie’s for lunch. For breakfast, you absolutely MUST NOT miss The Blue Fox. Order the Peasant Toast. Uh-Mazing! Have fun!!!

Tay June 24, 2009 at 1:15 am

How Beautiful!!! Enjoy! :-D

Christie @ Find My Weigh June 24, 2009 at 5:54 am

Looks beautiful!

That shot of you drinking the coffee is so cute!

jenna June 24, 2009 at 8:35 am

Oh my gosh Victoria looks absolutely stunning!!! I can’t wait to hear all about your high tea experience!! What made you all choose Victoria for vacation? I’m glad you did b/c it looks really pretty there.

Stacy (Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) June 24, 2009 at 8:37 am

You look so relaxed in all of the pictures. Vacations are awesome like that! : )

Danielle June 24, 2009 at 9:13 am

What a beautiful city!

Becci June 24, 2009 at 9:40 am

What a beautiful city! (And those fries look AMAZING! …I have never had garlic mayo….)

brandi June 24, 2009 at 9:58 am

Victoria is beautiful! glad you guys got there safely and are having a good time!

Nicole (dishin') June 24, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Looks great so far. I’m totally jealous that it’s sunny there as it’s STILL raining in Boston!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 24, 2009 at 1:35 pm

It’s so gorgeous there! My hubby and I were just talking about taking a quick trip somewhere….I may be following in your footsteps!

Bay April 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm

It’s always fun to read about visitor’s experiences in the town I call home: Sometimes, you just start to take living in Victoria for granted. I must admit though, no matter where I am traveling in the world, coming home is never a disappointment. Thanks for the reminder!

Bay April 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Oh, and another thing: Victoria is mecca for those loving a healthy lifestyle! Our climate is pretty temperate, so we can keep up our favourite outdoor activities all year long! Except swimming in the ocean. The water’s pretty cold up here ;)