• Flying Apron Bakery

June 22, 2009

This morning, Mal and I woke up bright and early to explore Fremont and grab a light breakfast. We have lunch plans with his sister and his parents later today, so we didn’t want to fill up with a big meal.

On our walk through Fremont, we found a huge statue of Lenin. Being the history dork buff that he is, Mal, of course, wanted a photo taken with him.

IMG_1726.JPG

A number of readers suggested that I check out the Flying Apron Bakery, so I was psyched when we stumbled upon it. The Flying Apron is a wheat-free, gluten-free, and vegan bakery.

IMG_1727.JPG

The Flying Apron Bakery provides vegan, gluten-free, and wheat -free morning pastries, cakes, cookies, pies, breads, and more. Their goodies are made with the finest organic ingredients, whole grain wheat-free flours, and organic non hydrogenated oils. Many of their products are alternatively sweetened as well.

IMG_1728.JPG

The Flying Apron Bakery smelled AMAZING when we walked inside. I think they were baking some sort of cinnamon treat. Holy yum!

It took me awhile to decide what I wanted to eat– everything looked so good! I finally decided on a carrot muffin. I loved that the sign listed all of the muffin’s ingredients; I knew exactly what I was getting. The muffin was excellent– soft, moist, and full of flavor.

IMG_1730.JPG

The atmosphere inside the Flying Apron Bakery was cozy and relaxing. The staff were friendly and accommodating.

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

Time for lunch! See ya later!

Evan Thomas June 22, 2009 at 4:25 pm

That’s definitely the muffin I would’ve chosen. It sounds like it must have been great. That’s awesome they post the ingredients. I usually only have homemade muffins simply because of hearsay about store bought, but clearly those are a good and tasty choice.

brandi June 22, 2009 at 4:29 pm

what a cool place! enjoy your lunch!

Becca June 22, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Awesome picture of Mal with Lenin! He usually ha s a scarf in the winter time, though I’d surprised he wasn’t still decorated for Solstice this year!

Jocelyn June 22, 2009 at 4:44 pm

ohhh sounds good..dang I wish we had ANYTHING like that around here!!

Kim June 22, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Oooh!!! I am so jealous!! What a fabulous bakery!!!

Kim

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 22, 2009 at 5:11 pm

That’s really cool that they post all the ingredients.

Ada June 22, 2009 at 5:18 pm

That bakery looks so cute! I love it when places post the ingredient list, Whole Foods is usually good about doing that.

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) June 22, 2009 at 5:47 pm

I wish all bakeries – well all restaurants actually – would post ingredients! That one of the reasons I prefer to eat at home. I know exactly what I’m getting!

Amy June 22, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Hi Tina! We met at the Solstice Parade in Fremont this weekend! Being gluten-free, I am also a huge fan of the Flying Apron, as well as Cafe Ladro and Norm’s. Gotta love any restaurants that allows you to bring your dog! Glad you enjoyed your time in Seattle!

Laura (Alwaysroom4dessert) June 22, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Ah! Flying Apron is one of my favorite bakeries! I love how they use natural alternative sweeteners in their baking.I think the last time I was there I had to try 3 of their baked goods!

Sammie June 22, 2009 at 6:45 pm

The Flying Apron looks awesome. I need a place like that near my house. You never see a bakery that caters to those kinds of dietary restrictions.

amy (veganissexy) June 22, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Yay for the Seattle trip! That’s where I’m from. We now live about 2.5 hours West of Seattle in Port Angeles. When I went to school at UofW in Seattle we would go to the University District Flying apron bakery all the time! Their stuff is amazing! You may want to stock up on their vegan macaroons before heading home! Have a fun time in Fremont…it’s so fun there.

Casey @ Double Scooped June 22, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Yumm the Flying Apron looks like a place I could visit every single day :)

Christina June 22, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I love bakeries, the carrot muffin would be my choice too!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 22, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I FLIPPING LOVE THAT PLACE!!!!! I went there while on tour a few months ago. I wish I could go back, but alas, I love in FL. BOO!

Caroline June 23, 2009 at 12:09 am

Great name for a bakery!

Nicole (dishin') June 23, 2009 at 10:11 am

Looks great! I love that they focus on wheat-free, gluten-free items since it’s so hard to find good baked goods like that. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

laura June 23, 2009 at 12:53 pm

So jealous that there is a gluten-free bakery there! Sadly, we have nothing like that here in Indiana.

faith June 23, 2009 at 6:59 pm

you made me soooo homesick!!! that is right where i grew up, right where i lived and worked, it was so good to see it again!!!! thank you!! glad you liked the flying apron and you had some good espresso, vita and ladro, num!!! get to stumptown if you’re going back through!! did u see the naked bicyclers in the parade :p have a good trip!!