• Lower Body Home Workout & Reader Demographics

March 23, 2009

Happy MONDAY!!! :mrgreen:

I woke up bright and early for a lower body workout at home in my apartment this morning. It’s usually tough for me to motivate myself at home (especially in the morning), so I got all of my equipment ready last night, so all I had to do was wake up, throw on some sneakers, and exercise.

Bosu + resistance band, which I forgot that I owned! The resistance band is going to make a come back in my workouts!

Last night, I also made a “To Do” list of 5 lower body exercises for this morning. It can be so difficult to get motivated, especially when I am groggy and slow moving. If I have a list of exercises, I always know what to do next, so I am not wasting time or thinking about what exercises to do. It keeps me focused! ;-)

The Workout:

As you guys know, the fastest way to sculpt big, sexy muscles is to work them to fatigue. Personally, I am a rep gal, which means when I plan to do 12 reps, I mentally (and physically) shut down after 12 reps. This way of strength training, however, often prevents me from getting that lifting “intensity” that I want. So, I tried a new approach that I recently read about in one of my fitness magazines.

This morning, I gave myself a ballpark number of reps that I wanted to do for each exercise (12-15 reps) and then kept going until my muscles couldn’t handle another rep. (Although, I did keep the number of reps the same if I did a single-leg exercise for the right and left sides.) My buns and thighs were burning by the end of 2 sets! I definitely recommend giving this strength training approach a try!

Breakfast

Mmmm… peanut butter-banana oats! My favorite!

I splurged at the grocery store yesterday and purchased the all-natural, freshly ground peanut butter. It’s surprisingly not THAT much more expensive than the stuff in the jar.

In the mix:

• 1/2 cup dry oats
    • 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
    • 3/4 cup hemp milk
    • 1 banana, sliced
    • Peanut butter!

In the News

Nutritionist: Not eating can sabotage weight loss

6 kitchen tools for the health-minded chef

Uncover the health benefits of exotic produce

Reader Demographics

I’ve been curious for quite awhile now about my blog readership. I “know” quite a few of you through your blogs and emails, but there’s a lot of you that I don’t know anything about at all. I thought it would be fun to have a little “Reader Survey” to find out what the readership of Carrots ‘N’ Cake (CNC) is all about. (Plus, you guys know so much about me– I want to know about you!) So, lurkers, please make yourself known! :-D (Feel free to use an Anonymous name if you’re uncomfortable using your own.) FYI: I’m gathering this info because of my own curiosity, so don’t worry about me using it for anything else. I thought you guys would be interested in knowing who’s out there too!

Age:

Gender:

Location (City, State):

Occupation:

How long have you been reading CNC?

How did you “discover” CNC?

What is your favorite aspect of CNC?

Thanks for your input, guys! :mrgreen:

Danielle March 24, 2009 at 10:53 am

Age: 30

Gender: F

Location (City, State): Cambridge, MA

Occupation: Fundraising

How long have you been reading CNC? about 6 months

How did you “discover” CNC? I was reading our mutual friend Jon’s blog and it led me to you.

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? The balance you seem to have in your life that you write about. It’s good inspiration to remind me to work hard and reward myself as well! (and the oatmeal – it’s changed my mornings!!)

lauren (athlEAT) March 24, 2009 at 11:08 am

nice running shoes – I have the same pair! Age: 29, F, Baltimore, MD, EVM Anaylst/Project Scheduler, reading about 8 months, found you through other blogs. I like your outlook on food and exercise.

Ilyssa March 24, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Age: 30

Location (City, State): Norwalk, CT

Occupation: Attorney

How long have you been reading CNC? about 6 months

How did you “discover” CNC? through FaceBook. A few of old Union G-phi girls were “fans” and I had to check it out!

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? I like getting recipe ideas. I had a baby about a year ago & have been working hard at having our whole family eat healthy, tasty food every day. Tina’s CNC philosophy is something I definitely subscribe to!

Julia March 24, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Age: 28

Gender: F

Location (City, State): Somerville, MA

Occupation: School Counselor

How long have you been reading CNC? Maybe 3 months or so?

How did you “discover” CNC? Through Facebook somehow

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? I love reading about someone who has similar thoughts about food/lifestyle. Also inspirational! :)

Rachel D March 24, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Age: 29

Location (City, State): Athens, Georgia

Occupation: Architect

How long have you been reading CNC? ~ 6 months

How did you “discover” CNC? Kath’s BlogRoll

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? You are a good writer, have a healthy relationship with food (and you aren’t self-righteous!), you inspire me to make exercise fun and I love the name Carrotsncake!

Dorothy March 24, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Age: 26

Gender: F

Location (City, State): Rock Island, IL

Occupation: Interior Designer, Freelance Caterer

How long have you been reading CNC? About a year

How did you “discover” CNC? I think through KERF

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? The baked goods recipes! Oh, and restaurant reviews. And the meal ideas that I get. And for leading me into the wonderful world of Barney Butter………..

Maggie March 24, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Age: 25

Gender: F

Location (City, State): Amsterdam, NL

Occupation: Operations Specialist at adidas/Reebok

How long have you been reading CNC? almost a year.

How did you “discover” CNC? I come from Boston and we have a mutual friend who told me about it

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? You are honest and inspiring, and your meals always look delicious… I admire your dedication to balanced health and exercise!

Jen March 24, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Age: 24

Gender: F

Location (City, State): Houston, TX

Occupation: medical student

How long have you been reading CNC? a few months

How did you “discover” CNC? a link on another site – I don’t remember which one

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? the yummy recipes!

Charlotte March 24, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Hi Tina. This is my first time commenting on your blog. I’m usually a lurker :)

Age: 31

Gender: F

Location (City, State): Hamilton, New Zealand

Occupation: Full time stay at home Mum / Part Time Accountant

How long have you been reading CNC? 2 or 3 months

How did you “discover” CNC? Through KathEats

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? I like the really balanced approach you have to everything – food, exercise, life. I also like the recipe ideas and your photos.

Allyson March 24, 2009 at 6:12 pm

I’m a new lurker, but a lurker nonetheless.

Age: 25

Location (City, State): Chicago IL

Occupation: Knitting Instructor

How long have you been reading CNC? Just about a week!

How did you “discover” CNC? It was on my google reader recommendations and I’m so glad it was.

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? I love all the healthy food. We eat similarly and I love getting new ideas, like adding pumpkin to my oats in the morning! Very delicious.

CaSaundra March 24, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Age: 17

Location (City, State): Northern Minnesota

Occupation: Student/Selling Jewelery

How long have you been reading CNC? A couple of months now!

How did you “discover” CNC? Kath’s Blog

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? The great recipes and hearing about all of your adventures that you describe & detail very well.

p.s. The guest post is coming along nicely–sorry there was a little delay. =)

Danielle J March 24, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Age: 21

Location (City, State): College Park, MD

Occupation: Student

How long have you been reading CNC? since May 2008

How did you “discover” CNC? Kath’s blog roll

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? recipes, giveaways, product reviews :)

Cates March 25, 2009 at 7:41 am

Age: 27

Location (City, State): Cincinnati, OH

Occupation: School Psychologist

How long have you been reading CNC? Since June 2008

How did you “discover” CNC? Through http://www.katheats.com

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? Engaging discussions, posts on a variety of topics (fitness, healthy eating, lifestyle, reviews), and Tina’s healthy attitude.

Leah March 25, 2009 at 9:21 am

Age: 24

Location (City, State): Jamaica Plain, MA

Occupation: Administrative Assistant, Part-time MBA Student

How long have you been reading CNC? About half of a year?

How did you “discover” CNC? I used to work with the blog master at BC Admissions ;)

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? The balance of enjoying food and eating healthy, told from the perspective of a true foodie!

Lauren March 25, 2009 at 10:02 am

Age: 25

Location (City, State): Somerville, MA

Occupation: Consultant

How long have you been reading CNC? A few months… love it!

How did you “discover” CNC? Eat Like Me

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? recipe ideas, boston area info, your overall approach to health and fitness, and your blog writing style

Abbe March 25, 2009 at 11:43 am

Age: 26

Location (City, State): Brighton, MA

Occupation: Account Executive

How long have you been reading CNC? Summer 2008

How did you “discover” CNC? Close friend recommended it after seeing it highlighted in The Metro

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? Recipe and workout ideas. I like how you breakdown your meals so they are easy to recreate. Love your attitude towards healthy eating and balance in life. I also love the local Boston restaurant reviews!

Kate March 25, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Age: 26

Location: New York, NY

Occupation: Marketing Manager at a Commerical Real Estate Company

How long have you been reading CNC?: Since Summer 2008

How did you “discover” CNC?: Another reader mentioned it in the comments section on Self’s Eat Like Me blog.

What if your favorite aspect of CNC? I love the snack and workout ideas. For so long I would make so many excuses as to why I didn’t have time to exercise, but I had really just been avoiding it. Having someone honestly put it all out there about how they strive to live healthily (and happily!)made me realize that I am worth it and can do it too. I find Tina’s daily stories very inspriational.

Ashley March 25, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Age: 22

Location (City, State): Calgary, AB, Canada

Occupation: Light Oil Distribution Analyst

How long have you been reading CNC? Hard to say exactly… around 4 months?

How did you “discover” CNC? I had discovered Self’s Eat Like Me blog and it was the only food blog I knew of (oh silly me) and another reader mentioned your blog and Kath’s blog in the comments one day.. so I checked both of you guys out and through you both I found even more blogs (hello, addiction).

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? I have weight to lose and I love reading your blog for good ideas – even if I don’t always put them into practice I know the things I see on these blogs remind me to be a healthier person every day.

susan March 25, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Age: 44

Gender: female

Location (City, State): Grand Rapids MI

Occupation: youth services librarian

How long have you been reading CNC? a few months?

How did you “discover” CNC? no clue — some link from another blog I imagine.

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? meal ideas/pictures

stephanie March 26, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Age: 26
    Location: Washington, DC
    Occupation: Transplant RN (Hi RB if you see this!)
    How long have you been reading CNC? Since August
    How did you discover CNC? KERF
    Favorite aspect: New recipes…the cauliflower mac n cheese was amazing.

Christine March 26, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Age: 24

Location (City, State): Roseville, CA

Occupation: Student

How long have you been reading CNC? About a day now :D

How did you “discover” CNC? makeupalley.com

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? Getting great food ideas!

Olivia April 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Age: 29

Location (City, State): Virginia

Occupation: IT Help Desk

How long have you been reading CNC? A few days

How did you “discover” CNC? Health.com

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? The food recipes – have tried a few already! Also, you give me a lot of inspiration and motivation about things I want to change in my eating habits… just didn’t know where to start.

Ananda January 2, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Age: 28

Location (City, State): Columbus, Ohio

Occupation: Settlements Analyst (American Electric Power)

How long have you been reading CNC? Probably nearly a year, now

How did you “discover” CNC? My sister discovered Pioneer Woman AND Carrots n Cake and told me about them. Not sure how she found you, I’ll have to ask her….

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? Probably the healthy eating and workout motivation. I also like that you unabashedly drink booze and enjoy treats, in moderation. It helps me to guage what ‘moderation’ is in my own life.

Lianne March 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Age: 27

Gender: F

Location (City, State): Long Beach, MS

Occupation: Personnel Assistant

How long have you been reading CNC? 1 week!

How did you “discover” CNC? Someone on My Fitness Pal mentioned your blog for food and exercise ideas. Not sure which blog entry specifically, I think it was something to do with Crossfit…but I read one and few more and was hooked!

What is your favorite aspect of CNC? New ideas for eating health and working out! Also love reading about crossfit, going to try some of the home workouts after I finish the 30 Day Shred. <3 Murphy too, my sis has a black pug, cutest thing ever! They have great personalities. :)

Gilberto Gaulding April 30, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Nice. I use resistance bands too. Working out at home is great. Plus, the food you posted just made me want to eat and lose calories all over again.

ab exercises that really work November 25, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I wanted to thank you for this wonderful read!! I definitely loved
    every bit of it. I have got you bookmarked to check out new things you post…

Safa July 22, 2013 at 12:13 am

Age: 25

Gender: F

Location: Kerala, India

Occupation: Stay at Home Mum

How long have you been reading CNC? A few weeks now. I’m starting at the very beginning.

How did you “discover” CNC: I think I was searching for fitness blogs and I found you through Heath.com

What is your favourite aspect of CNC: I love your approach towards health and fitness. The attitude that its okay to splurge and you can get back to track with a good workout. Great recipes and photographs. Also, you’ve completely changed oatmeal for me :)