• How to Make Iced Coffee

March 29, 2009

I get a ton of questions asking how I make my iced coffee, so here’s a little picture tutorial to demonstrate the process. To brew my coffee, I use a standard auto-drip coffeemaker

• Start with 12 cups of water.

• For 12 cups of water, I use 7 tbsp of ground coffee. If you prefer stronger coffee, use more ground coffee (8 tbsp); less for weaker coffee (6 tbsp). If you have a 10-cup coffeemaker, you could easily adjust these measurements. A good way to determine the coffee grounds to water ratio is 1 tbsp of coffee for every 2 cups of water.

• I typically use heaping spoonfuls of ground coffee because I like my iced coffee strong! 😉

• Brew coffee as you normally would.

• Pour coffee into a pitcher or thermos. If you do not have either of these, you can just put the coffepot itself into the fridge (once its temperature cools a little).

• Chill iced coffee in the refrigerator overnight.

• Pour over ice and enjoy! :mrgreen:

coffee coupons August 27, 2010 at 2:25 am

very detailed instructions. thanks for sharing.

Kenzie August 27, 2010 at 4:02 pm

It is so hot out right now, but I still need a coffee fix! I am going to try out your recipe for iced coffee… Although it makes so much sense, last time I didn’t chill it over night, I just put ice in it, all the ice melted and I ended up with watered down coffee..not good. So I’m trying your way! Kudos.
    -Kenzie
    Propane Burners

Brianne September 29, 2010 at 8:40 am

We have the same coffee pot!

Jessie October 10, 2010 at 5:05 pm

This method is also great for making iced coffee out of leftover coffee.

I’ll make a few extra cups in the morning, drink the first cup hot and refrigerate the rest so I can have iced coffee in the afternoon. yum!

Allie November 5, 2010 at 12:38 pm

this is the easiest way to make iced coffee!! love it. i think i need to buy a pitcher tho so i don’t have to keep putting my pot in the fridge

Lys ~ Cooking In Stilettos December 3, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Tina – you have no idea how needed this was. For an iced coffee-aholic, my ice coffee almost always tastes like swill. So, this weekend my wallet (and sanity) is demanding that I learn how to make a decent glass of ice coffee. Plus – in Philly, our Dunkin’ crew can’t seem to make a decent cup of coffee – it’s sad 🙁

Emily December 17, 2010 at 10:50 am

How long do you leave a pitcher in the fridge? Before it goes bad I guess..

Tina December 17, 2010 at 11:19 am

@Emily: I’m not sure. Mal and I usually plow through it in 5 days or less! I’d guess about week.

Angela March 15, 2011 at 7:44 am

Thanks for putting this under your “recipes”! I was curious if you brewed it stronger or anything. I don’t have a full size coffee pot right now (short on space, its in storage) but I did brew a strong cup from my Kurieg and it worked great! Do you have a favorite type of coffee beans to use or do you just use whatever is on hand?
    ~Ang

Tina March 15, 2011 at 7:51 am

I pretty much like all kinds of coffee, so I pretty much use whatever is on hand.

Kelly March 19, 2011 at 9:33 am

Okay so I have been reading your blog for close to 3 years now and I finally made my own iced coffee!!! I mixed over ice equal parts coffee (from yesterday that I chilled in the fridge) with unsweetened almond breeze. I added in a few drops of liquid stevia and holy crappola…I may never drink hot coffee again. 🙂

Angela April 5, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Thanks for this. I started getting more into iced coffee thanks to you.. I started drinking it at Tim Horton’s (in Canada) and even at McDonalds. Even though it is cheaper than my usual Moka (at $3 – $5 a pop) it still seemed like it was too expensive every day. I started doing this and It’s so good I can’t get enough.

I do mine with some vanilla syrup instead of sugar and milk (sometimes vanilla soy or almond breeze). I also recently bought a reusable iced coffee glass for when I’m on the go: http://www.wilton.com/about/pressroom/downloads/2510-9973%20Copco%20To%20Go%20Tumbler3.jpg

I have one question… What are your sugar/milk/coffee proportions?

Miranda June 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I know this is digging up an old post 😀

But how long does it stay good in the fridge???

debbie July 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I have ulcerative colitis and I have not had a hot cup of coffee for almost 2 weeks now because it makes me so sick when I drink it. A friend of mine suggested that I try drinking iced coffee instead but I haven’t tried it yet. After reading this I think I will try it. I do miss my coffee so much and if I can have it this way that would be great! How much soy milk/ Ensure/and/or vanilla protein powder do you use in your iced coffee?

Tina July 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm

@debbie: I’m not really sure. Maybe about 1/3 of the bottle of Ensure and 1-2 tbsp of protein powder.

Kathy January 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Hi. I know this post is old, but I tried making the iced coffee today. It was good, but yours looks darker. I added 1 cup coffee, 1 cup soy milk and some ice & coffee flavoring. Wondering what your ratio is. I think I will do about 1 cup coffee and 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk next time. Tasted really good though. Just too white looking. Wasn’t very strong.

your_neighbor March 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

people actually needed a tutorial on how to make iced coffee?

Coffee lover July 28, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Um, you like strong coffee so you put heaping spoonfuls?? At one tablespoon per 16oz(2cups), thats crazy. Considering for regular hot coffee most coffee directions say to put the opposite, 2 Tablespoons of coffee for 6-8 oz(1cup) of water. And coffee doesnt have that long of a shelf life after cooked,(cold brew is another story) flavor starts going south after about 8 hours, sometimes sooner, depending on how long its been on the burner. But maybe people like that old taste.
    Starbucks iced coffee ratio is 1-3-3, one cup of coffee, for 3 cups of water, and 3 cups of ice. Make the coffee hot brew, then put the 3 cups of ice in a pitcher and stir, then put ice in your glass, pour your coffee over your ice. Sweeten and flavor as desired.