• Holy Yum and More Treadmill Workouts

March 19, 2009

Heaven arrived in a box at my apartment yesterday. It may not look like it on the outside, but there was something very special inside! :-D

The wonderful and amazing VeggieGirl sent me a batch of her delectable baked goods. She actually let me chose some of the ingredients, which was really fun! :-D VeggieGirl also included a card with a very sweet message inside. Thanks, Liz/VeggieGirl! :mrgreen:

So, listen to what VeggieGirl baked for me: Chocolate Chip-Carob Chip-Fig Spread Blondies! Ahh, heaven! How delicious does this combo sound?!?

VeggieGirl’s baked goods are incredibly soft and moist with yummy chunks of chocolate and carob chips. Each bite practically melts in your mouth! The fig spread gives the blondies a subtle flavor, but it adds a lovely texture to them. I am obsessed with these babies! Hopefully, I don’t eat them all in just a couple of days!

Again, thanks VeggieGirl! You are the BEST! :mrgreen:

Breakfast

I’m not going to lie, I was dreaming about VeggieGirl’s blondies last night. Before starting my yoga for the day this morning, I nibbled on small piece. So good!

Breakfast this morning wasn’t my usual oat bowl of goodies. Instead, I made an egg white and Swiss cheese sandwich on a toasted whole wheat English muffin. I used the microwave method to make my egg white patty.

On the side, I had some perfectly ripe strawberries.

With iced coffee

I also may have eaten another one of VeggieGirl’s blondies! :oops: Seriously, that girl can bake!

Yoga Challenge: Day 19

I slept in a little this morning, but still gave myself time to practice 20 minutes of yoga. I did YogaDownload’s Morning Flow. Of course, I did my yoga in my PJs and half asleep, so I was in the mood for something slow-paced and “gentle.” Morning Flow was much more active than I had wanted, but I was happy that I chose this session by the end of it. All of the backbends and continuous movement woke me right up, but I definitely needed more downward dogs, forward bends, and pigeon poses to stretch my very tight hamstrings and hips. This was the first time that a 20-minute session left me wanting more! It’s definitely time to step-it-up!

Treadmill Workouts

As you know, I am a slave to the treadmill from November – April. So, to break-up the monotonmy, I utilize treadmill workouts.

Some of my favorites:

And, here are a few more favorites:

These workouts are my actual treadmill workouts that I take with me to the gym. They are cut out from magazines and laminated onto a piece of cardboard. I put them on the front of the treadmill and refer to them as needed. They are a constant motivator! (This one, in particular, is back to front with a workout on each side of the cardboard.)

You can always change the speeds and inclines of these workouts based on your own personal preference, but still use the basic format to guide your treadmill run. For instance, the speeds on the second workout, “Run Uphill,” are a little to slow for me. For a quickie 20 minute run, I add 1.0 to each of the speeds. So, 6.2 becomes 7.2, 6.0 becomes 7.0, etc, and keep the inclines as stated. If I want a longer workout, I will repeat the first 15 minutes, skipping the 5 minute cool down (until the very end), which makes the workout 35 minutes (or 50 minutes if you repeat it 3 times). For a longer workout, I may only increase the speed by 0.5, so 6.2 becomes 6.7, 6.0 becomes 6.5, etc., which makes the treadmill run a little more manageable for me. So, long story short, all treadmill runs can be customized to your liking!

I’m not sure if you guys have noticed the Subscribe to CNC option on the upper lefthand side of my blog, but you can sign up to receive free Carrots ‘N’ Cake updates right to your inbox by entering your email address. Feel free to sign up!

What food makes you gag?

EatingRD March 19, 2009 at 1:56 pm

those blondies look delicious! I want to try! I’m not sure what food makes me gag? I ususally like it all, unless it’s something really slimy like weird sushi or oysters.

-kristen

Marianne March 19, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Awesome personalized brownies :D I think it’s totally acceptable to have one for breakfast.

Food that makes me gag? Cilantro. If it shows up in anything I’m eating, I can’t eat the food anymore. Ick.

Elina (Healthy and Sane) March 19, 2009 at 2:45 pm

What a great package!! I actually made VeggieGirl’s banana fig pistachio muffins (how good does that sound?!!) last night and they were awesome. The girl sure does know how to bake! :D
    Onion – hate them. Can’t even describe how much I hate them. I can smell them a mile away, even if they are not in the actual food, but were near the food I’m eating. Gross :)
    Oh btw, I LOVE treadmill workouts! I do the same thing – I usually add a uniform mph to keep the integrity of the workout (like adding 0.5 mph to each speed specified if I’m feeling strong).

Susan March 19, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Holy yum is right! Those look fab!

Food that makes me gag=mashed potatoes! I know, they are a favorite comfort food for most, but to me the texture/appearance/taste is just OFF!

Andrea of Care to Eat March 19, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Ginger is the most vile thing ever to me. The hubbs put it in our juice today and I ended up having to give it to the dogs.

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) March 19, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Tina, I am so behind on posting my yoga updates! This week, I have had some real breakthroughs in my practice with different poses. My balance is better, and the ones that used to feel awkward feel much more natural. Yesterday’s class was quite challenging with deep breathing and long holds and today’s was completely fast-paced with flow after flow. I truly don’t want my month-long workshop to end.

P.S. – totally jealous of the blondies!

Jaime March 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Green peppers. They can ruin an entire meal for me. Blech.

RunningWithin March 19, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Wow, I can’t believe how many people hate olives! I love em. For me, it’s Mayo. I can’t stand Mayo. Ick, just the thought…

Matt March 19, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Mushrooms suck!

Bev March 19, 2009 at 8:06 pm

As Veggie Girl AKA ( Blondie Queen ) would day; Hell yes for Her blondies !!!!

zestycook March 19, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Jealousy has set in yet again!! Tina you are so lucky :)

Joanne March 20, 2009 at 12:40 am

Wow the food looks delicious. Great pictures.

Kate March 20, 2009 at 9:53 am

Those blondies sound and look so good! Where’s the recipe?!?!

bobbi March 20, 2009 at 11:54 am

How sweet of Veggie Girl!!! I too need to step up my Yoga a Notch;)

Ashley May 25, 2011 at 11:02 pm

This is perfect! I needed some new ideas for the gym and your plan seems to be the best fit! Thanks xD

StacyReese December 12, 2012 at 8:53 am