• We’re Staying

February 22, 2009

After a number of discussions and possible scenarios, Mal and I have decided to renew our lease and stay in our apartment for another year. Of course, not moving makes our lives a million times easier, but sadly, it means no pug. :cry: (Our building doesn’t allow pets.) While I would love to have a pug in my life, we would be crazy to turn down the rate offered to us for renewing our lease for another year. Plus, our “carefree” lifestyle makes me think it might not be the “right” time for a dog. I guess “Barney” will have to wait a little longer.

So, since we are staying put, Mal and I rearranged our furniture this afternoon to spruce-up the place and create some additional storage options. One change we made was moving a little cart into our kitchen, which has been sitting it the corner of our dining area since we moved in, basically collecting dust. The cart has already made an excellent addition to our kitchen. I’ve used it a ton today– from preping foods to holding my laptop while baking from an online recipe. The cart just barely fits in our tiny kitchen, but I think I like it there! ;-)

Dinner

For dinner, I roasted some brussels spouts, which were tossed in olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper.

I added a few of the roasted brussels spouts to a salad and packed-up the rest for dinner tomorrow night.

I also whipped-up a quick ham and swiss cheese panini on our Griddler using the last two pieces of whole wheat bread that I baked yesterday.

Salad and sandwich:

For dessert, I enjoyed a few Banana Oatmeal Chip Cookies. For this batch, I mostly followed my original recipe, but I made a number of changes:

• used 2 bananas instead of 1
    • used all-purpose white flour instead of whole wheat
    • used 1/2 cup of oats instead of 1 cup
    • omitted the canola oil and ground flaxseed meal
    • used vanilla hemp milk instead of soy

Taste-wise, the two recipes are very similar. The texture is about the same, too. However, the batch of cookies that I baked today were much more “fluffy,” which is likely attributed to the all-purpose white flour as opposed to the more dense whole wheat variety.

Lunch

I’m such a dork, but I was giddy with excitement about today’s lunch. Since becoming a food blogger about a year ago, my brain has been programed to take photos first then enjoy my meal. Today, however, I wanted to dive right into my meal immediately. It looked (and smelled) sooooo delicious!

I started with a colorful salad of Italian lettuce, grape tomatoes, red and green peppers, drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

I also had a small portion of chili, topped with shredded cheddar. The leftover chili was AMAZING on day #2. All of the spices and juices fully soaked into the beans and meat to give them a ton of flavor!

Beverage: POM + soda water + lemon.

Afternoon Snack

My afternoon snack was a mug of peppermint tea (not pictured) and half of a whole wheat wrap with almond butter and chocolate chips inside. Mmmmm… it was such a good snack!

I have all sorts of Sunday night things to do in preparation for the work week. I hope you enjoy the final hours of the weekend!

Lee February 22, 2009 at 7:05 pm

You will get your pug one day! You just have to wait for the timing to be right. I wanted a golden retriever for years and finally was able to get one about two months ago.

zestycook February 22, 2009 at 7:10 pm

The pug will come one day Tina! Those eats look amazing. I am loving the panini.

zesty

Shelby February 22, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Well, on the bright side you don’t have to pack, move and unpack! That’s always a drag. I’m sorry you won’t get your pug but I agree, the time is just not right.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 22, 2009 at 7:16 pm

You will get your pug when the time is right!! The perfect little puppy will find it’s way into your life =)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 22, 2009 at 7:29 pm

You’ll get a pug one day!! At least you don’t have to deal with moving!
    Your eats look fantastic!

Laura February 22, 2009 at 7:44 pm

You’ll get your pug soon enough. :) Dogs are definitely a challenge when you’re used to a carefree lifestyle. I’m sure I’d travel much less if I didn’t have family in my neighborhood.

I love roasted brussels sprouts! Your salad looks so fresh and vibrant!

Sara February 22, 2009 at 7:48 pm

One day your Pug will come. My hubby and I are in a similar situation, we just bought a house and really want a dog…but aren’t sure if we’re ready to “settle down” our lifestyle a bit. :) Your sammie looks great! We had grilled ham and cheese for dinner tonight too.

Meghan February 22, 2009 at 7:53 pm

:(I really want a dog too, but we have determined its just not the right time with travel and work. I know you are super busy but you may want to check out the Pug Rescue of New England. Maybe they need volunteers and you could spend some time with pugs?

Pearl February 22, 2009 at 8:19 pm

awwww.. i really want a pug, too – they are so adorable; actually, i’d be happy with any puppy.

the cart looks so adorable! at first i thought you meant a shopping cart (i’ve seen so many in the shared apartments of college students) haha :)

Kati February 22, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Oh, I love the cart! It looks like it will be really useful. I also bought brussel sprouts for the first time this weekend…they are frozen so I’m not sure how I should prepare them. We’ll see!

Amelia February 22, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I love that cart, especially the marble top!

Oh, and I tried your brussels sprouts roasting method last night and loved it!

Sarah (Tales of Expansion) February 22, 2009 at 8:43 pm

you’ll get your pug one day! in the meantime, your little kitchen cart makes a nice substitute, haha :-)

roasted brussels sprouts = YUMMMMMMMM. and leftover chili is SO good. i think leftovers are really the point of making chili in the first place!

Red Head, Yellow Dog February 22, 2009 at 8:43 pm

your snack is definitely a fave of mine! and I loove that cart! It looks great!

sue February 22, 2009 at 8:54 pm

you’ll get your pug one day! i moved into the place in live in now a year ago since they allow dogs but i’m still waiting for the “right” time as well…

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) February 22, 2009 at 8:54 pm

I like the addition of the cart in your kitchen!!! I totally want a pug too — I was playing with my friend’s tonight, and he’s just so cute and sweet! But since I go out of town once a month, now isn’t a good time for me either :( I’m sure we’ll get them soon enough! :)

Leanne February 22, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Since I started blogging, I’m trying to figure out how to take good pictures before my food gets cold. I’m getting a little bit better but still… Food blogger dilemma ha ha

Meg February 22, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Yummy eats! Great idea to move the cart to the kitchen!

Brandi February 22, 2009 at 9:09 pm

cute cart – we have one similar to that, too. It definitely helps in small kitchens :)

You’ll get Barney soon enough!

Andrea of Care to Eat February 22, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Oh, I’m so sad now! No pug :( The wait will just make you love your future pug that much more!

K February 22, 2009 at 9:37 pm

When you finally do get Barney, he’ll seem even MORE special :)

All of those eats look amazing!

Rose February 22, 2009 at 9:55 pm

We really wanted a dog too – but new our busy schedule might not make this the best time for a dog, so we went with the cat (we were lucky that our apt. allowed pets). So I totally hear you.

I love that cart! It’s so cute.

Love your afternoon eats :)

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) February 22, 2009 at 10:22 pm

There will always be a Barney who needs a good home. He’ll find you one day. :)

BridgetP February 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Moving is such a pain!! The perfect time for a pug will come someday :)

Kara February 22, 2009 at 10:57 pm

I TOTALLY need to get a Griddler. I almost bought one tonight, but I keep thinking that I can find a better price if I keep looking.

Emily February 22, 2009 at 11:19 pm

I’m not a huge fan of brussel sprouts, but you make them look pretty darn appetizing! I really want a dog, too, but I’m moving soon, so I also have to wait. Someday, though!

bobbi February 23, 2009 at 12:35 am

Love those cookies and that cart!

Sarah (lovINmytummy) February 23, 2009 at 12:57 am

Delish! I have to make that bread this week, if only for one perfect sandwich.

I hope you were able to make your place “homey,” Homey (groan).

Elizabeth (thelongweigh) February 23, 2009 at 2:16 am

I love that little cart..it is so cute!

I love pugs, my best friend has two and they are adorable. I can’t wait to get into a home of my own so I can have a puppy too. Maybe by the end of this year!

Lara February 23, 2009 at 4:38 am

Love that cart, I’ve been wanting one like that. It looks great in your kitchen and I bet it’s really useful.
    Looks like a great cookie recipe–I’m bookmarking this one to try soon :D

Dori February 23, 2009 at 7:42 am

The cookies look wonderful. I want a puppy, too….. One day we will both have ours! And blog alll about them :)

Sweetie Pie February 23, 2009 at 10:22 am

I can’t bring myself to move yet either, and I’m also in a building that doesn’t allow pets. For now, I have to content myself with hanging out with the dogs that belong to my friends. :-(

I have a Cuisinart Griddler and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I got my parents one for Christmas as well, and my mother, who isn’t really into cooking, is a big fan. I also think the name is nice and Batman-like.

Lee (seelivelee) February 23, 2009 at 3:31 pm

that snack sure looks tasteful!!!

one thing at a time, enjoy where you are now, right?

Spiceaholic February 25, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I’ve been looking for a cart just like that! Where did you get it?

Tina February 25, 2009 at 2:34 pm

@Spiceaholic: It’s from Target. Mal bought it 3-4 years ago though, but maybe they have something similar?