• It’s Time for a New Teatime

January 30, 2009

Last weekend, I tried one of Starbuck’s new Tea Lattes. At Starbucks, I almost always stick to my usual soy misto, but for some reason, I was in the mood for tea this time.

I decided to sample the Tazo Vanilla Rooibos Tea Latte, which is a combination of Tazo tea and steamed milk.

Its flavor was distinct– sweet, spicy, and vanilla-y, all at the same time. My tastebuds were very intrigued! :mrgreen:

Vanilla and hints of honey stood out as the dominate flavors, but they were subtle, not overwhelming or artificial tasting.

The Tea Latte had a nice blend of tea and milk. It wasn’t thick and milky like a latte, but it also wasn’t just plain tea. It was a wonderful blend of both: light tea and soothing milk.

In addition to being light, sweet, and delicious, the Vanilla Rooibos Tea Latte is also low in calories. For a tall beverage with non-fat milk, it is just 120 calories, 0g fat, 6g protein, 20% calcium (in case you’re curious).

I’m a big fan of these Tea Lattes, especially when you’re in the mood for something different.

Starbucks also makes a London Fog Tea Latte, which I want to try next. From what I’ve heard, it’s sweet, but more citrusy with a hint of lavender. Sounds interesting, right? Let me know what you think if you try one! :-D

VeggieGirl January 30, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Fabulous!!

HangryPants January 30, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I need to try this!

Melissa January 30, 2009 at 2:09 pm

must try this! I received so many starbucks gift certificates over the holidays, but I don’t really drink tea or coffee. But trying new things is always fun.

Bridget January 30, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Hey I’ll be at the Starbucks thing tomorrow too!! I really want to try these!

Amelia January 30, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I’ve tried the London Fog! I really like it. I don’t usually put milk in my tea, but I do like the combo Starbucks has put together. They’re good alternatives to the sweetened coffee drinks since they’re lower calorie.

Courtney January 30, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I’ve also tried the Vanilla Rooibos twice! I ordered mine with vanilla soy milk which gave at a little extra “punch” of vanilla. I would DEFINITELY recommend it!! It’s a nice change from my typical latte :)

Amanda January 30, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I actually got the idea from Amy’s blog, coffeetalk, to order a tea with flavoring and then just add my own skim milk – it sounds kindof like this! I got the awake tea with sugarfree vanilla … it was delicious!

brandi January 30, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Those sound good! Is it just tea and milk, or do they add syrups, too? I ‘ll have to look it up.

Now I want one! :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 30, 2009 at 2:50 pm

That’s totally my new favorite thing at the ‘Bucks! Another thing to do to lower the calorie count is to get it with Sugar Free vanilla and have them do 1/2 water then 1/2 skim milk. My drink came in at about 60 calories last time!

Sally January 30, 2009 at 2:54 pm

This looks delicious but all the news tea lattes have so much sugar! The Vanilla Rooibos has 24 grams for a tall. I wonder if it would be good without the flavored syrup?

Dori January 30, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I want to try that! I wouldn’t like the London Fog because I’m not a citrus fan, but the vanilla sounds great!

Missy (Missy Maintains) January 30, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I am going to try one of these! Thanks for the review! They look great!

Sara January 30, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Great review! I’ve been hearding about these but have yet to try one. Now I just might! :)

Caitlin January 30, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I love the black tea latte, it’s becoming a habit! If you get it without the sugary syrup it’s less sweet but still tastes good.

Tyler (Raspberry Runner) January 30, 2009 at 3:04 pm

yum! i was actually just contemplating going to starbucks…i might have to try this!

Janet January 30, 2009 at 3:12 pm

That looks delicious. I have to try that! Ps – LOVE that you used a reusable mug!!

Dee January 30, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I have yet to try a vanilla tea that does not taste like suntan lotion to me!

Rebecca January 30, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Yummy! That looks great! Tea and soymilk, I have never tried it but it looks good! And hey question, do you always order a latter and put it in your cup? Or do you give them the cup? do they do that? Sorry, I was curious for future information!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) January 30, 2009 at 3:25 pm

That looks yummy!

Heather January 30, 2009 at 3:30 pm

If you’re a member of BSC, they are doing a cross promotion with Starbucks and offering free “tea time” on Tuesday’s after 2:00pm. (In the meantime, I’ll go back to my regular Awake and Om Tazo favorites)…

Ashley January 30, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I am a big fan of the rooibos tea latte, but I found the London Fog way too floral for my tastes.

Krista January 30, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I really enjoyed the new rooibos vanilla latte, too. The berry infusion….not so much!

Danielle January 30, 2009 at 3:38 pm

That tea looks so good. I’m not a fan of tea usually but that looks really good.
    That London fog sounds really great.

Sarah L January 30, 2009 at 3:39 pm

You should try the Soy Americano Misto! Similar to a misto, but even better. :)

Lizzie January 30, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I had the tea latte with Earl Gray because I really needed a caffine kick and man was it great! Even better I had a coupon for a free sample!

Sarah (lovINmytummy) January 30, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Trick or Treat! Is that a Halloween mug you are drinking out of???? Girl, its almost February!!! I hope I get you in the V-day blogger swap so I can buy you a new mug!!!

lauren January 30, 2009 at 4:02 pm

I have been getting Green Tea lattes from my local coffee shop for awhile now. I love them! I choose a green tea bag, then they add steamed skim milk and a squirt of honey. love it!

Shelby January 30, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Hmm, that does look very delicious…however most starbucks drinks are wayy too sugary for me.

HeatherBakes January 30, 2009 at 4:14 pm

I’ve never tried a tea latte! The London Fog sounds like a good morning drink. Thanks for the heads-up, I’m going to give it a shot next time I’m at Starbucks…

Megan January 30, 2009 at 4:53 pm

London Fog Tea Latte is my new favorite drink at Starbucks. I had one this morning! :) You can really pick up on the lavender and vanilla flavors. Delish!

tipperella January 30, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Does anyone know how this is different than their Chai Tea Latte? I think that starts as a syrup with milk added and this is actually brewed tea? I love a Chai Latte every once in awhile and wondered if it’s the same concept, different flavor.

K January 30, 2009 at 5:11 pm

I was wondering how these were – thanks for the review :)

Jen January 30, 2009 at 5:12 pm

That tea looks awesome!!!

Becca A January 30, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I had a taste of my dad’s london fog latte last week and it was awesome.

Nicole January 30, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Mmmmmmmmmm, it looks so good and frothy!

lee (for the love of peanut butter) January 30, 2009 at 6:07 pm

that looks so good! thanks for the deets, tina!! taking the time to write these reviews are something we greatly appreciate-whenever i am confronted with food i always think of the bloggers!! Such a good feeling!!

Michelle January 30, 2009 at 6:24 pm

I’ve always wanted to try one of these but never had the bravery to experiment. :P THANKS so much for posting the review!! I’ll surely grab myself one of those when I hit up Starbucks.

Amy January 30, 2009 at 8:11 pm

I tried both of those tea lattes and really enjoyed them. The london fog was very interesting but so good!! Red tea is my favorite so that is my favorite of the two but the London Fog is a very close second. :)

Meg January 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm

I definitely need to try this!

Susan January 31, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I love rooibos tea! I’ll have to try this! I used to make London fogs all the time, but I’m not sure if the Starbucks version is the same. It’s half earl grey tea and half steamed milk, flavoured with vanilla syrup. You’ll like it if you like earl grey :)

Suko February 5, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Usually I’m “boring” and just order a tall tea, but your featured drink looks very, very tempting. I love the fact that it’s made with red tea (rooibos).