• Roasted Brussels Sprouts

December 16, 2008

I’m not going to lie, cooking brussels sprouts always kind of made me nervous. Don’t get me wrong– I LOVE brussels sprouts, especially roasted brussels sprouts, but I never knew how to cook them. I didn’t grow-up eating brussels sprouts, and I haven’t even had much experience eating them, but tonight was the night to give roasting them in the oven a whirl!

How to:

• Start with approximately 9 oz of raw brussels sprouts.
    • Preheat oven to 400*F.
    • Cut brussels sprouts in half.
    • Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste to brussels sprouts.
    • Mix all together, coating brussels sprouts well with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
    • Place brussels sprouts halves on baking pan.
    • Roast in oven for about 20 minutes, until golden brown. Flip brussels sprouts halfway through cooking.
    • Allow to cool and enjoy!

My brussels sprouts came out excellent! They had lots of flavor and were perfectly roasted– not too crunchy, not too mushy. Perfect-o! :D

Maggie December 16, 2008 at 7:28 pm

These are awesome! I love roasting veggies and brussels are one of my faves. Have a good night!

Erica December 16, 2008 at 7:30 pm

I love brussels! I think they’re best roasted! Yours look beautiful!

Amy December 16, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Thats exactly how I make mine, but I add a tsp. of real maple syrup! Compliments the salt nicely :) Delicious! Roasted brussels are my favorite, even if that makes me a goofy vegetable nerd! hehe.

VeggieGirl December 16, 2008 at 7:41 pm

Loooove brussles sprouts!! :-)

Mara December 16, 2008 at 7:46 pm

Roasted brussels sprouts are some of my favorite veggies EVER!

Kerry December 16, 2008 at 7:54 pm

I think I will try that – it’s been forever since I tried brussel sprouts, and I really need to give them another chance.

coco December 16, 2008 at 7:59 pm

love roasted brussel sprouts. I used to microwave them for 2 min before throwing to the oven, it burns less often :)

denny December 16, 2008 at 8:08 pm

wait a minute….i just made these right now!!!!

hahaha

Courtney (Eat The Whole Thing) December 16, 2008 at 8:30 pm

I have been dying to try these! I will be making them soon :)

Nicole December 16, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Roasted brussel sprouts are my absolute favorite food!!

ashley (sweet & natural) December 16, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Roasted brussels sprouts are on my top 10 list! They’re so easy and delicious!

Caroline F December 16, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Love me some brussels! Try adding some maple, so perfect against the salty/bitter background of the little cabbage heads :)

Sally December 16, 2008 at 9:54 pm

I love roasted brussels sprouts! I’m having some tonight in fact – we roasted them in the pan along with a chicken so they absorbed some of the chicken goodness. Yum!

Another one of my favorite ways to make them is to toss them in coconut oil and curry powder before roasting – it’s an unexpected flavor combo with brussels but it’s really delicious!

Melissa S. December 16, 2008 at 10:15 pm

i had brussel sprouts for the first time on thanksgiving…they were ok…i think i need to try them again the way you made them!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) December 16, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Brussel sprouts are one of our favorites. My husband refers to them at the world’s most underrated vegetable.

Lara December 17, 2008 at 2:32 am

This is exactly how I make them except I always forget to flip ‘em halfway through! Do you ever notice sometimes brussel sprouts can take on a mustard-y taste, or is that just me? Sometimes I drizzle a little maple syrup on them, too :)

Celia December 17, 2008 at 5:11 am

Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of the BITTERNESS in brussel sprouts … like pleaseeeee :)

Elina (Healthy and Sane) December 17, 2008 at 8:32 am

I love brussel sprouts!! Try them with a little parmesan cheese on top next time – it’s amazing!

Sarah December 17, 2008 at 10:14 am

mmm roasted brussel sprouts have become one of my FAVORITE veggies this year. Another great way to prepare them is to pull of all the leaves (sort of time consuming but SO good) and saute with a little olive oil, s&p, lemon juice. Add pistachios partway through so they get nice and toasty. It’s really good!

Christy December 17, 2008 at 11:34 am

I discovered roasted brussel sprouts a few years ago and have been in love ever since. I like to squeeze lemon on them right out of the oven. Or sometimes I will toss them with a little dijon mustard and rice wine vinegar. YUM!

jenna December 17, 2008 at 12:40 pm

These are my favorite!!!! yum!! Fresh is so much better than the frozen ones that area all soggy and weird!! :)

Rachel December 18, 2008 at 2:03 pm

I’ve always been a little tentative about trying them too! Thanks for the wee tutorial – I’m going to have to investigate this a little more now!

Mary Helen December 28, 2008 at 2:11 pm

I tried these today and they were great! Thanks so much for the great recipe and tips. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Ashlee April 15, 2010 at 10:51 am

I made brussel sprouts for the first time last night, and they were a total fail! I knew I could search your sight and find a “how to!” Thanks!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 9, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Yay! Thank you!

Annie February 7, 2012 at 10:08 pm

After seeing your delicious looking brussel sprouts on many posts, I finally decided to give it a whirl. Verdict? YUMMY! My local grocer better start stocking up, because I feel a brussel sprout run coming :). Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!