• Jingle Bell 5K

December 15, 2008

Good morning! Here’s just a quick recap of breakfast, so I can tell you guys about the race!

This morning’s breakfast was banana oats with a big scoop of Barney Butter and topped with Zoe’s Cinnamon Raisin Granola.

I am loving Zoe’s granola! I’ve had it in the past, but just recently, they changed their recipe. Zoe’s granola clusters are crunchy, sweet, and delicious… and they’re good for you! Every serving of Zoe’s Granola naturally provides fiber (7 g), protein (8 g), omega-3s (115% DV), and iron (10% DV). I especially love the big nuggets of granola– perfect for snacking right from the box! :D

Jingle Bell 5K

Road races are so fun! Seriously, why don’t I run more of them!? I had such a blast yesterday at the Jingle Bell 5K! It was easily the most delightful race I’ve ever run! Everyone was dressed in festive holiday gear– from Santa hats to elf ears to Christmas pajamas to candy cane striped socks and tights. I even saw a dog in a reindeer costume and a guy dressed as Santa carrying a homemade wooden sleigh running the race! I felt so of out of place without any fun holiday garb! (Mental note: Dress up for Jingle Bell run next year!)

In addition to the festive costumes, the atmosphere of the race was wonderful too. Everyone was in a jolly mood, and the start/finish area for the race had Christmas music playing non-stop. All I want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey pumped through the speakers right before the race began. It’s one of my favorite holiday songs, and it psyched me up for the race! :D

When the race started, it was a mob scene! There was no pushing or shoving (it wasn’t that type of race), but the crowd of 3,181 runners was massive! The streets of Davis Square were packed! It took me a good 60-70 seconds to cross the start line, so the beginning of my race was sort of slow, especially since I had to weave in and out of slower runners. The pack never really thinned out, but I got into a grove with some faster runners and tried to keep up my pace. I loved running along, listening to my iPod, and seeing a sea of santa hats! It was quite the sight! It actually made me giggle to myself while running! :)

After mile 1, my lungs burned from the cold air, but I was feeling good. However, as soon as I hit mile 2, my legs suddenly felt like a million pounds. Ugh. Hate that! My original plan was to pick up the pace at the last mile, but my legs weren’t having it! I kept trucking along, but it wasn’t enjoyable. Around the last 400 meters or so, I picked up the pace to finish strong. I was happy about the race that I ran, but I think I could have pushed harder towards the end. Oh well, next time, right? I accomplished my goal of improving upon my personal best by more than a minute! My Jingle Bell 5K race time was 25:35 (8:14 pace)! I got faster! :D

Even though this race was just a 5K, it made me realize that I can accomplish my running goals if I put my mind to it. Cheesy, but true! For this reason, yesterday I officially registered for the Run to Remember Half Marathon in May!!! I’ve never run more than 9 miles or so at once, so this race is going to be a challenge for me. If anyone else is interested in running the Run to Remember, please let me know. Perhaps we can get a training group together? Drop me an email if you’re interested! :)

Jingle Bell 5K race goodies: my medal for finishing! :)

A sweet forest green t-shirt with the Grinch on it! :)

P.S. The best part about yesterday’s race: Finishing and seeing a pug dressed in a Santa suit! It totally made my day! :mrgreen:

What do you think about New Years resolutions? Do you make them? Are you successful with keeping them?

Meghann December 15, 2008 at 10:15 am

Congrats on you race and new PR! :) You’ll do great at the Half Marathon, I promise they’r enot as hard they look. Just build up your miels slowly and befor eyou know it that 13/1 miles will be nothing!

Mara December 15, 2008 at 10:18 am

Congrats on the race! That’s fantastic!!

Lindsey (Mrs. LC) December 15, 2008 at 10:20 am

Your shirt is so cute, and it sounds like your race was so much fun (minus the pain). :)

I’m not usually that big on New Year’s resolutions because I think resolutions can be made any time. Plus, a lot of resolutions end up being “I want to lose X number of pounds before X date”, and the focus isn’t as much on a healthy lifestyle/ positive life changes.

tami December 15, 2008 at 10:26 am

i am so happy you registered for the race in may. 5k’s and halfs are so different

i don’t really make a resolution so to speak, but yes, normally i stick to them because i make them realistic. last year was not to purchase a book and get to the library more and i only bought one book at all….for this year i wanted to run 1000 miles and i think will be about 50 miles short.

Kim December 15, 2008 at 10:26 am

Great time on your new PR!! :) Love the shirt!

Courtney (Eat The Whole Thing) December 15, 2008 at 10:27 am

Congrats on the race! Yum-o breakfast. I LOVE BARNEY BUTTER!

I agree with Lindsey on the new year’s resolutions. I am focusing more on a healthy lifestyles such as buying more organic produce and being more “green” by conserving energy, driving less etc. There may be a bike in my future =)

sirenjess December 15, 2008 at 10:38 am

I don’t make them anymore because I would always break them. I think that it works for some but not all. I think that if a person is serious about making a change in their lives they should make that change at any time not at the beginning of the year because it’s the new year. I feel that it puts on too much pressure. Congrats on the race speed girl!!!!

Kerry December 15, 2008 at 10:40 am

Congrats on the 5k and glad you registered for the HM, that’s a good one. I am still coming back from a foot injury, but I may be there.

I think of New Years as a time to reflect on what I’ve done and what I want to do, but I tend not to make sweeping resolutions. Small changes seem to work best for me.

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) December 15, 2008 at 10:42 am

Congrats on the race. 8:14 pace is awesome. Fueled by Barney Butter no doubt! :)
    As far as New Year’s goes, haven’t even thought about my resolution for this year. Last year, it was to not over-comit, and I didn’t do very well. Might try that one again.

Megan December 15, 2008 at 10:42 am

Yeah for a faster time! That granola looks good!

caitlin December 15, 2008 at 10:46 am

your race sounds like it was fun! 5ks are definitely more fun because they dont wipe you out for days on end :)

i love new years resoltuions. i think you shoud set goals you can stick to, and are more focused on health than outward apperance!

jenna December 15, 2008 at 10:54 am

Great job on improving your time!!

Amy December 15, 2008 at 10:57 am

Congrats on improving your time!!

I may try to run that half marathon as well. I’m supposed to go to California on vacation in May so I just need to make sure it’s not during that week. Otherwise I’m in! I’ve never run anything longer than a 5K in a race setting so a training group would be great. :)

I don’t make new years resolutions because I’m terrible at following through with them. Instead I just make small changes throughout the year.

Liz December 15, 2008 at 11:01 am

Congratulations on the Marathon. And I really need to get around to trying Barney Butter. Have you tried PB2 or any of the low cal peanut butters? If so, what did you think?

I don’t make NY Resolutions. If I want to make a change, I just set the goal and do it. Why wait till NY to do that?

Tina December 15, 2008 at 11:03 am

Liz,

You should try Barney Butter!!! It’s excellent! What is PB2? In general, I like the “real deal” when it comes to peanut butter. The more natural, the better! :)

Amy December 15, 2008 at 11:09 am

Congrats Tina! You are so inspiring, pretty lady :) Cute prize gear & love the granola review. Thanks !! Have a great day.

bobbi December 15, 2008 at 11:09 am

that race looks like soooo much fun! I wanted to do a jingle 5k! GREAT JOB:)

I do New Years NY Resolutions, not anymore then I do weely ones! lol…I do look over the past and try write down new things I want to accomplish for the year!

Jenny December 15, 2008 at 11:29 am

Congrats on a fun race!

I really don’t do the whole New Year’s Resolution thing. I mean I might “say” one, but it’s not like a do or die type thing, it’s mainly for fun. I feel like my goals should be my goals whether it’s for New Year’s or not :)

lauren December 15, 2008 at 11:32 am

congrats on a great race – and awesome time! so exciting you signed up for a half…cant wait to follow your training.

ashley (sweet & natural) December 15, 2008 at 11:34 am

Looksl ike a fun race! I love that Mariah Carey song too. :-)

Mel December 15, 2008 at 11:44 am

Sounds like the race was a ton of fun! Congrats on a great time!

As for New Year’s I don’t usually do them although I may this year. My boy quit smoking for New Years and hasn;t gone back. His dedication makes me want to do one now!

K December 15, 2008 at 11:50 am

CONGRATS!!! It looks like it was a lot of fun :)

zestycook December 15, 2008 at 11:52 am

Tina, Congrats on the 5 K race! Looks like you had a blast.

zesty

ttfn300 December 15, 2008 at 11:55 am

ooh, this sounds fun :) complete with santa pug! i must say i waited until it warmed up to go for my run… :)

coco December 15, 2008 at 12:24 pm

such a fun race!!! :D really admire you running 5K with this cold weather.

The cereal box looks so fun! I’ve never seen them on groceries stores. Where did you get it Tina?

New year resolution? Haven’t think about that yet. :)

HangryPants December 15, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Awesome job, Tina! It looks so festive with the people dressed up and everything.

I like the idea of resoltions as far as being reflective about things and all that, but I don’t know … sometimes I don’t have any. For ’08 I wanted to run a 5K and I did. Next year…10K.

Congrats on signing up for the half!

Lacey December 15, 2008 at 12:44 pm

hooray what a festive race! i am def hooked on races, it’s always so much fun. i make resolutions and plans and goals constantly, so new year’s resolutions aren’t necessarily “more special” to me.
    here is something you might be interested in:

Kickass Cupcakes Tastings | Mon – Wed
    If you haven’t tried them already, stop by Kickass Cupcakes and taste some of the best sweets around. From Choc-o-mint to the Mojito, there’s a cupcake flavor for everyone. Tastings run Monday the 15th through Wednesday the 17th. 5 – 7pm.

Kickass Cupcakes | 378 Highland Avenue | Somerville
    617 628 CUPS | http://www.kickasscupcakes.com | More Details

Amanda December 15, 2008 at 1:05 pm

The race looks so fun! Way to go on realizing you can push yourself farther, it’s an amazing accomplishment to finish each new distance and I know you’ll kick butt.

Pearl December 15, 2008 at 1:07 pm

congrats on the race! how incredibly fun, and i loved the pictures :) and hurraaaayyyy on a quicker time!

Christy December 15, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Congrats on the 5k! I love the short races! I am more of a sprinter than a long distance runner anyway, and they are always so much fun. Everyone is usually not too stressed out or serious. For me, it’s always about beating your PR which is an awesome motivator. As for resolutions, I try not to make any on New Years since I don’t like the pressure. I just continually try to improve my life and the lives of those around me all year long. :)

Caroline F December 15, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Im with you on Zoe’s!
    CONGRATS on the 5k, kick ass! Great pictures, glad you enjoyed the great atmosphere :)
    -Caroline

Leah December 15, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Good job on the 5K Tina! I’m still super scared to run a 5K, so hopefully by next year I’ll have the courage to. I used to make New Year’s resolutions, but now I just make short-term and long-term goals on a regular basis. I’ve discovered that some goals take less time to complete, while others may take years!

Bridget December 15, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Great Job on your race!! How did I not know that was all going on 1.5 mile down the road from me!? Fun race medal too!

I’m not a big New years resolution person, but I am planning to run my first 5k in the Spring so I guess that would be it!

Tina December 15, 2008 at 1:55 pm

coco,

You can find Zoe’s products at lots of grocery stores. Check out their retail list: http://www.zoefoods.com/products/retailers.htm

Catherine December 15, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Congrats on your race time!! The past few years I’ve actually been making New Year’s resolutions and trying to keep them. Not things like “lose weight, go to the gym” though, I tend to make resolutions that I hope to keep forever – cutting down on stress, doing more for others, etc.

VeggieGirl December 15, 2008 at 2:30 pm

CONGRATULATIONS, TINA!!!!

sarah December 15, 2008 at 3:28 pm

i HEART resolutions. so much that i compiled the past 4 years’ worth from my blog onto one post: http://lostandallalone.blogspot.com/2008/12/broken-record.html

the end conclusion: i am super-predictable (and terrible about flossing). oh well — i figure some of them will eventually stick! and i am definitely going to do a new edition for this year :)

Missy (Missy Maintains) December 15, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Congrats!! I’m so impressed when people can run long distances in the cold!! I don’t really make New Year’s resolutions but I will really work on my night eating for this year. I am trying every day but am still struggling so this will be a good resolution for me!

Toni Jo December 15, 2008 at 5:09 pm

I missed you!! But I DID see the pug! Great run… wasn’t it a beautiful day? The last part of the course (on the bike path) was awesome after all those damn hills ♥

Michelle December 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Congrats on a great race! How fun!

I’m not sure what my resolutions will be this year. I try to stick to them, but have been pretty unsuccessful so far. Maybe this year is it!

Becca A December 15, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Way to go Tina!

I’ve never been big on resolutions. If I decide to do something or make a change I can’t put it off, or I’ll never do it.

Cassidy December 15, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Hey everyone! I stated my own blog about learning moderation and eating healthy on a college buget and with constant bad influence from college life. Please check it out!
    Thanks!
    Cassidy

Eric December 16, 2008 at 10:58 am

Congratulations on your race and good luck on the 1/2 if you need advised feel free to ask about the NY resolution I try to keep them and follow them and check them on July