• Another Quickie and Announcement

December 18, 2008

Lunch, treats, and snacks gallery

Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Potato and Mushroom Gratin, holiday Rice Crispy Treat, chocolate-almond square, banana, and Earl Grey tea.

Blog Changes

Now that the new blog layout is up and running, I have decided to take a step back and reevaluate how things are organized. I recently condensed the info in the About tab as well as the Weight Loss tab (and its sub-pages). Be sure to check out the new updates! The Fitness and Recipe sections are still in need of some serious work, but I am in the process of fixing them up.

Announcement: Part IV

(Back-history on the other 3 announcements: Announcement: Part I, Announcement: Part II, Announcement: Part III.)

So, my career change attempt to become a Personal Trainer is pretty much donezo now. I’m keeping my full-time job, I’m not taking the NASM exam (I recently sold my study materials on eBay), and after observing the lifestyle of personal trainers firsthand at Healthworks, I don’t think it is the right career for me. With that said, I have decided to leave my job as a Fitness Specialist at the end of the month. While I love the position and the work that it entails as well as my HW coworkers, a part-time job there (in addition to my full-time job and blog) is just too much for me to handle. I’ve been working 55-hour weeks since September, and something just had to go. While I am sad to leave HW, I know it’s for the best. You gotta make yourself happy, ya know!? :)

Stevia News

Very interesting…

FDA Clears Use of Herb As Sweetener

Victoria December 18, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Good for you for doing what’s best for you! And I think it’s inspiring you at least tried it out to see if the new career would be a good fit!

K December 18, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Good for you: your personal needs always need to come first! 55 hours?! Yikes that’s a lot!

Can’t wait to see the new updates too!

Meghan December 18, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I am glad that you are happy with what you’re doing! Honestly you share your fitness and overall health knowledge every day with all of us and I know I certainly value it!
    Also…I wish I had that chocolate almond square mmm!

Mel December 18, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Congrats on making the right decision for you. 55 hours a week is tough!

Love the gallery of food!

Jennifer December 18, 2008 at 3:20 pm

The chocolate-almond square looks like the best thing there!!! Sigh, why does the “bad” stuff always test the best?!

Alex December 18, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Everything looks delish!

Also, I hope this doesn’t offend, but I HATE having to click “continue reading” and load a new page to finish the post! I am too lazy!

Jenn (eating bender) December 18, 2008 at 3:29 pm

I’m glad you’ve made a decision that will ultimately make you happier (and likely, healthier in terms of stress levels)! Congratulations :)

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) December 18, 2008 at 3:31 pm

That chocolate almond square looks sublime. 55 hours?! That’s too much. I’m glad your honoring yourself. Our bodies need rest, and it’s hard to get that working too many hours. I know you’ll miss HW, but I think you made a wise decision.

lauren December 18, 2008 at 3:35 pm

good you tried it and realized what works for you! it will be so nice to have the extra time for you!

Courtney (Eat The Whole Thing) December 18, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Good job on doing what’s right for you! It’s best to make yourself happy!

Mara December 18, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Agreed..making yourself happy is MOST important!

Allison K December 18, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Congrats on doing what is best for you! Have a great Thursday Evening!

Leah December 18, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Good for you – at least you gave it a shot!

Runeatrepeat December 18, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I agree, do what’s best for you :) & spend some time with the new hubby!

Rhodey December 18, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I was HOPING you would announce that some time soon! that is great news, that way you can devote some more time to be with the hubbie!!!! yayyyy!!!

BethT December 18, 2008 at 4:16 pm

Changing careers is hard when you have to juggle two jobs. I’m glad you made a decision that puts yourself first.

Missy (Missy Maintains) December 18, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Congrats on your choice! It’s great that you at least gave it a try!

Julie December 18, 2008 at 4:22 pm

Good decision. 55 hours work weeks aren’t fun. I work about 50 between my full and part time jobs, but I don’t have a blog to tend to or husband to enjoy. You did the right thing!

If I could ask…what is the lifestyle of the personal trainers? I was entertaining the thought of becoming one, but have no idea what I’d get myself into.

Kristina December 18, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Good for you for doing what’s best for yourself! Sometimes it’s necessary to put yourself first. :)

Jen December 18, 2008 at 5:06 pm

I think its wonderful you made the right decision for YOU!!! Way to go, sounds like life will be much more balanced for you next month :)

Love the new changes to blog!

bobbi December 18, 2008 at 5:13 pm

cute post! Love the pics and good for you for knowing when too much is too much:)

Amanda December 18, 2008 at 5:28 pm

good for you learning to pick what’s most important and say no to other things. I think it’s easy to get so much going on that you almost miss out on the things you really enjoy

Kristie December 18, 2008 at 5:33 pm

That must have been a tough decision to make but good for you for going with it and cutting back. That’s probably the best idea. No point in continuing something that is just adding more stress than you need if it’s not enjoyable anymore, right? 55 hours is crazy!

Caroline F December 18, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Good for you, tough decision of course but I’m sure you know what’s best! Who wants more stress?!

Christy December 18, 2008 at 6:41 pm

It’s so awesome that you had the opportunity to “test-drive” a potential career before diving in head first. Most people aren’t as lucky. At least now you will never wonder “what if?” and be able to move on with no regrets, knowing you did the right thing for you. Congratulations!

emily December 18, 2008 at 6:45 pm

good luck with all the life choices! I literally haven’t narrowed down what I want to do into less than 4 options yet and it’s driving me crazy!

VeggieGirl December 18, 2008 at 6:54 pm

LOOOOVE the food gallery!!

Sooo glad you’re doing what’s best for you, Tina!! Yay!! :-)

Tina December 19, 2008 at 10:12 am

@Julie: From what I saw, it seemed like a job that you really needed to sell yourself, which isn’t something I am good at. Of course, I would love to help people achieve their fitness goals, but I wasn’t sure about the whole sales-y aspect. Plus, I wasn’t crazy about the inconsistent paycheck.

Elina (Healthy and Sane) December 19, 2008 at 12:17 pm

I was amazed at how well you did with so many commitments but there is only so much one person can do before breaking down. I think you made the right choice about leaving HW. I hope you find more happiness in your current full time job or another future carreer!

Jen (Running with Food) December 20, 2008 at 8:39 am

Sounds like you made the best decision for you! Gotta take care of numero uno!!