Mollie’s recipe started with 2 pounds of peeled and sliced carrots.
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 cups minced onion
1 heaping Tbsp minced fresh ginger (I used ground ginger)
2 tsp minced or crushed garlic
1/2 tsp salt
2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 Tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
1/2 cup minced crystallized ginger (optional)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (I used 3/4 cup)
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Coat the bottom surface of a 1-1/2-quart gratin pan with 1 tablespoon of the oil and set aside.
2) Place a large, deep skillet over, medium heat. After about a minute, add the remaining olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the onion and ginger and sautÃ© for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and half the salt and sautÃ© for another 5 minutes.
3) Add the carrots and the remaining salt, and stir until the carrots are well coated with the onion mixture. Turn down the heat, cover the pan, and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and crystallized ginger, if desired. Cover again and cook for 5 minutes longer.
4) Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the carrots are fork-tender.
5) Uncover, sprinkle with the coconut (making sure it gets into all the crevices), and return to the oven until the coconut is golden, 10 minutes or longer. Serve hot or warm.
Yield: 5 to 6 servings